Bob Nutting is a good guy

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Certainly there are issues (though I've never really fallen into the "Nutting is cheap" crowd), I want to point out something he did for me that was out of the ordinary, unexpected, and really one of the coolest things to happen to me.

I recently moved to a new town, and it came out that I was a huge Pirates fan. The local newspaper in town, the Fort Dodge Messenger in Fort Dodge, IA, just happens to be owned by the Nuttings.

When the editor of the paper got word that I was a huge Pirates fan, he reached out to Mr. Nutting, explained who I was, and that I was a big Pirates fan living in Iowa. Mr. Nutting, on his own accord, sent me a bat with a personal autograph from Clint Hurdle and a hand-written letter from Bob Nutting himself. Again, this was completely unexpected.

While we may have our differences with how Bob Nutting runs the team, at least on this day, in my book, he's a stand-up guy. Just figured I'd share this story.
PirateGold

Post by PirateGold »

That is a cool story. Thanks for sharing.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

5F57546375507778160 wrote: Certainly there are issues (though I've never really fallen into the "Nutting is cheap" crowd), I want to point out something he did for me that was out of the ordinary, unexpected, and really one of the coolest things to happen to me.

I recently moved to a new town, and it came out that I was a huge Pirates fan.  The local newspaper in town, the Fort Dodge Messenger in Fort Dodge, IA, just happens to be owned by the Nuttings.

When the editor of the paper got word that I was a huge Pirates fan, he reached out to Mr. Nutting, explained who I was, and that I was a big Pirates fan living in Iowa.  Mr. Nutting, on his own accord, sent me a bat with a personal autograph from Clint Hurdle and a hand-written letter from Bob Nutting himself.  Again, this was completely unexpected.

While we may have our differences with how Bob Nutting runs the team, at least on this day, in my book, he's a stand-up guy.  Just figured I'd share this story.

Cool story. Doesn't change my mind on him as an owner. Means he is a good guy though.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

7C6C6D5A4C4C402F0 wrote: Certainly there are issues (though I've never really fallen into the "Nutting is cheap" crowd), I want to point out something he did for me that was out of the ordinary, unexpected, and really one of the coolest things to happen to me.

I recently moved to a new town, and it came out that I was a huge Pirates fan.  The local newspaper in town, the Fort Dodge Messenger in Fort Dodge, IA, just happens to be owned by the Nuttings.

When the editor of the paper got word that I was a huge Pirates fan, he reached out to Mr. Nutting, explained who I was, and that I was a big Pirates fan living in Iowa.  Mr. Nutting, on his own accord, sent me a bat with a personal autograph from Clint Hurdle and a hand-written letter from Bob Nutting himself.  Again, this was completely unexpected.

While we may have our differences with how Bob Nutting runs the team, at least on this day, in my book, he's a stand-up guy.  Just figured I'd share this story.

Cool story.  Doesn't change my mind on him as an owner.  Means he is a good guy though.

Nice story; Glad to hear that he has a sentimental and soft side. As a Nutting basher it does not change my mind either on how he financially runs the ball club. Sure wish he would sell to Mark Cuban. Speaking of owners; I have had the privilege of sitting next to Kevin McClatchy on multiple occasions when the Bucs have been in SD and LA. Kevin was a true fan and would have given anything for the Bucs to be a contender. Unfortunately he did not have the financial resources to make it happen. If he had it I'm confident he would have spent accordingly to bring a championship to Pittsburgh
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

012427273219242C2E394B0 wrote: Certainly there are issues (though I've never really fallen into the "Nutting is cheap" crowd), I want to point out something he did for me that was out of the ordinary, unexpected, and really one of the coolest things to happen to me.

Cool story.  Doesn't change my mind on him as an owner.  Means he is a good guy though.

Nice story; Glad to hear that he has a sentimental and soft side. As a Nutting basher it does not change my mind either on how he financially runs the ball club. Sure wish he would sell to Mark Cuban. Speaking of owners; I have had the privilege of sitting next to Kevin McClatchy on multiple occasions when the Bucs have been in SD and LA. Kevin was a true fan and would have given anything for the Bucs to be a contender. Unfortunately he did not have the financial resources to make it happen. If he had it I'm confident he would have spent accordingly to bring a championship to Pittsburgh

Interesting story. My parents have a place in Naples, FL. I'm at the pool several years ago and see an old timer with a Pirate hat. I start chatting with him about how frustrated I was in the organization. Poor development; poor choices; bad trades (brought up Ramirez) and so on. Found out later, the guy was Dave Littlefield's father. So, I ripped his son in front of him.

Anyway, a good friend of mine went to college with Kev at UCSB. Said he was a good guy.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

IABucFan,

Just so you know ... your contributions to this board are sorely missed!

Hope this finds you happen and well in your new assignment! Hopefully we'll hear more from you as the 2017 season unfolds.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Wait, no questions on how much Nutting charged you for the bat?

That is a great story. Stories like those are the ones we never hear. Always hear about the negatives.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

14352029112833203524410 wrote: IABucFan,

Just so you know ... your contributions to this board are sorely missed!

Hope this finds you happen and well in your new assignment! Hopefully we'll hear more from you as the 2017 season unfolds.

Thanks.  Just been super busy! When they switched to a new site, it was easy to not reregister and cut out one of my big time-wasters from my life. ;D