The Music Thread

offtopic

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

The Music Thread

Post by johnfluharty »

I listen to music at work a good bit, and my tastes vary widely. Today I am in a bit of a harder mood. I listed to "Past, Present & Future" by Rob Zombie / While Zombie and The Best of Nightwish. I like the music/sound/style of Zombie but mostly tune out the lyrics, which can be vulgar and just weird. Nighwish is opera + heavy metal. I own 100s of greatest hits style albums and a few artists I own all of their music (Tom Petty being one).
rucker59@gmail.com

The Music Thread

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

585D5A5C545E475A5340464B320 wrote: I listen to music at work a good bit, and my tastes vary widely.  Today I am in a bit of a harder mood.  I listed to "Past, Present & Future" by Rob Zombie / While Zombie and The Best of Nightwish.  I like the music/sound/style of Zombie but mostly tune out the lyrics, which can be vulgar and just weird.  Nighwish is opera + heavy metal.  I own 100s of greatest hits style albums and a few artists I own all of their music (Tom Petty being one).

Music is so fragmented now that I'm lost when it comes to new stuff. Totally lost.

I listen mostly to contemporary Christian music of which there is some surprisingly good stuff covering basically every genre (CCM is its own genre but it covers the full spectrum of styles, from rap/hip hop to hard rock and everything in between) but also a lot of junk.

Otherwise I've started going back in time: traffic, King Crimson, Chris Isaac all lately. One album I've rediscover and listened to probably a dozen times over the past two weeks is Seventh Sojourn by the Moody Blues. I've come to think of it as one of the great albums ever.
Quail

The Music Thread

Post by Quail »

I've been playing music professionally and songwriting for more more than 45 years. As a listener my tastes are very eclectic. Tom Petty and The Moody Blues are two of my many favorites.

I hesitate to recommend music anymore to anyone because most folks are narrowly focused on a few genres and don't care to listen to anything else or anything new/different.

Some of my musical friends also do some of my favorite music; they include Chris Smither. Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen, Verlon Thompson and Eric Taylor.
Ecbucs

The Music Thread

Post by Ecbucs »

I am still a fan of ELO, Byrds, America.

Like Moody Blues too although I've never been a singer in a Rock n Roll band.

I listened to a clip from Rainbow reunion concert recently and thought they did a good job.
DemDog

The Music Thread

Post by DemDog »

Too old for the current top 40 type rock and roll performers. My tastes go back to the Doo Wop days and forward to the end of the disco stage.

Even had a country western stage after the disco stuff. Still love to listen to some tracks from those days particularly by the outlaws like Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson and so forth.

But really my preferred and most listened to music these days comes from a recommendation by a college classmate who loved jazz. I got into the late Wes Montgomery on guitar and even the late jazz organist Jimmy Smith. Have gravitated now to mostly smooth or contemporary jazz with a few favorites.

'Bout the only thing that I do not like now adays is the "new" country stuff that sounds more like rock and roll to me.
johnfluharty

The Music Thread

Post by johnfluharty »

I listen to a lot of Christian music too.  There isn't a song by Casting Crowns that I dislike and the same goes for Chris Tomlin. I have the Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed" but that's really the only music by them that I am familiar with. My knowledge of Jazz is limited, though I like it. I have several albums by Jazz pianist Keiko Matsui. Have you heard of her?
rucker59@gmail.com

The Music Thread

5451565058524B565F4C4A473E0 wrote: I listen to a lot of Christian music too.  There isn't a song by Casting Crowns that I dislike and the same goes for Chris Tomlin. I have the Moody Blues "Days of Future Passed" but that's really the only music by them that I am familiar with.  My knowledge of Jazz is limited, though I like it.  I have several albums by Jazz pianist Keiko Matsui.  Have you heard of her?

Casting crowns is really good. Here's a new band that I've just become familiar with that you may connect with: The City Harmonic. Check out this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho4IA1- ... o4IA1-ao-w (should be a youtube of "oh what love").
Quail

The Music Thread

Post by Quail »

My wife and I attended a house concert last night featuring Tommy Womack. He's a terrific songwriter with a great self-deprecating sense of humor. If you enjoy a little fun and honesty in your music he's worth checking out. He's won several songwriting awards and has had his songs covered by a number of well-known artists (Jimmy Buffet most recently).

Here's one of my favorites of his that he performed last night:

"Nice Day"

rucker59@gmail.com

The Music Thread

6347535B5E320 wrote: My wife and I attended a house concert last night featuring Tommy Womack. He's a terrific songwriter with a great self-deprecating sense of humor. If you enjoy a little fun and honesty in your music he's worth checking out. He's won several songwriting awards and has had his songs covered by a number of well-known artists (Jimmy Buffet most recently).

Here's one of my favorites of his that he performed last night:

"Nice Day"

That's great video! And song.

Gotta love it when somebody from the audience climbs in and shares the mic!
rucker59@gmail.com

The Music Thread

7551454D48240 wrote: I've been playing music professionally and songwriting for more more than 45 years. As a listener my tastes are very eclectic. Tom Petty and The Moody Blues are two of my many favorites.

I hesitate to recommend music anymore to anyone because most folks are narrowly focused on a few genres and don't care to listen to anything else or anything new/different.

Some of my musical friends also do some of my favorite music; they include Chris Smither. Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen, Verlon Thompson and Eric Taylor.

Quail - got any video online? Love to check in.

If I had just one thing I'd like to do over - I'd play guitar and piano.