Odd Roster Move with Marte

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Bucs placed Marte on the 15 Day DL today. It seems very strange since the season is over. What benefit is made by putting him on the DL the final day of the season?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

303C3D666F666E63647B61560 wrote: The Bucs placed Marte on the 15 Day DL today. It seems very strange since the season is over.  What benefit is made by putting him on the DL the final day of the season?

NH said there were several reasons but didn't go into any detail. Explanation from a fan that sounded most reasonable to me has to do with insurance and establishing he was injured enough to go on dl. I would think that would be in case of future long time injury but don't know.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

Off season 40 man tweaking.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

427F78627F78160 wrote: Off season 40 man tweaking.

doesn't the dl go away at end of season (maybe a couple days after World Series)?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5C7A7B6C7A6A190 wrote: Off season 40 man tweaking.

doesn't the dl go away at end of season (maybe a couple days after World Series)?
15-day DL still counts against 40-man roster.

According to the Trib:

“He's missed a large majority of (September), unlike some of the other guys like (Francisco) Cervelli, who are banged up,” Huntington said. “We felt it was useful for a variety of reasons to note that he went on the DL.”

The unspoken message to Marte could be that the front office is disappointed he didn't get into the lineup more often last month. Marte made attempts to play in September, but each was aborted when he complained his back flared up again.

There's only one reason it would be "useful' to the club to make an official note of Marte being on the DL. That would be in the event of any future contract negotiations, to prevent Marte's agent years from now noting that Marte has not spent time on the DL. It will probably never come to that since he is signed thru 2021. But the FO must have decided it couldn't hurt to have this on the record.

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

In my opinion I don't think the FO is real happy with Marte. I would not be shocked if they pursue trade offers for him this off season. He could bring back much more than Cutch in a trade.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

1D303D2C2B3A2D6D6E5F0 wrote:

There's only one reason it would be "useful' to the club to make an official note of Marte being on the DL. That would be in the event of any future contract negotiations, to prevent Marte's agent years from now noting that Marte has not spent time on the DL. It will probably never come to that since he is signed thru 2021. But the FO must have decided it couldn't hurt to have this on the record.

If it was something like this, it would be a very stupid thing to do, as it would create a bad taste that could fester over the offseason. And then there's the thing where the Pirates congenitally choose to play short-handed for long stretches rather than DL'ing guys.

The insurance thing could make some sense, DL'ing Marte to mark the injury officially and also giving NH a chance to go on the radio and be coy about how smart he is.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

192A3637343C0A372C302B2C3D3136580 wrote:

If it was something like this, it would be a very stupid thing to do, as it would create a bad taste that could fester over the offseason.  And then there's the thing where the Pirates congenitally choose to play short-handed for long stretches rather than DL'ing guys. 

The insurance thing could make some sense, DL'ing Marte to mark the injury officially and also giving NH a chance to go on the radio and be coy about how smart he is.
I think NH already created the bad taste with his comment, "“He's missed a large majority of (September), unlike some of the other guys like Cervelli, who are banged up.” In other words, other guys played hurt. Why couldn't Marte?
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Regarding the Marte on DL thing Tim at P2 posted a tweet by Jon Morosi.  Here is the text of the tweet: "Interesting move for Pirates with Starling Marte: It has been harder for players to participate in WBC if they end previous year on DL."

Perhaps the Bucs do not want him to take part in the WBC next year.  For what reason other than getting hurt or trying to be sure he is healthy for the season I do not know why.  Any thoughts?