Roster Question

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Roster Question

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Since the Pirates are starting the season in the AL, it got me wondering about the roster starting the season. We start three games against the Tigers.

Is there a 10 day rule to start the season where players can't be sent down and called up in that period?

If not, why put Taillon or the 5th starter on the roster? Why not carry some extra bats knowing they won't pitch? The double switch won't be happening, pitchers will be rested.

Seeing Moroff sent down, I figured he would be more useful than Taillon or Musgrove.
mouse

Roster Question

Post by mouse »

I had a similar thought (although I don't think that 10-day rule applies until the season has started), but one line of thought is to have one less bat (four bench players instead of a fifth) and go with an extra reliever. Apparently the idea is they don't need as many bats since they won't be pinch hitting for the pitcher.
Bobster21

Roster Question

Post by Bobster21 »

383A202630550 wrote: I had a similar thought (although I don't think that 10-day rule applies until the season has started), but one line of thought is to have one less bat (four bench players instead of a fifth) and go with an extra reliever. Apparently the idea is they don't need as many bats since they won't be pinch hitting for the pitcher.
They seem to be leaning that way. Hurdle said they could briefly carry an extra BP arm with 1 less guy on the bench.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Roster Question

Yes, I heard that too. They would carry an extra pitcher.

This is why I ask. Taillon isn't going to play. Maybe the 5th starter too. Why not carry an extra bat for those roster spots?
DemDog

Roster Question

Post by DemDog »

I think you carry an extra pitcher in case the starter gets pounded early and often. That could mean over taxing the BP early. Yes, Glasnow and Brault are supposed to be able to come in early and go 5 innings or so but will either of them be able to keep the game close enough for the Bucs to make a comeback. With Brault perhaps but with Glasnow or should I call him Glas"never" you never know.

Although it does make some sense to roster because of the off days in the first two weeks of the season but what do you do with the 5th starter if you add an extra bat but do not want to over tax the BP?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Roster Question

0B2A220B20284F0 wrote: I think you carry an extra pitcher in case the starter gets pounded early and often.  That could mean over taxing the BP early.  Yes, Glasnow and Brault are supposed to be able to come in early and go 5 innings or so but will either of them be able to keep the game close enough for the Bucs to make a comeback.  With Brault perhaps but with Glasnow or should I call him Glas"never" you never know.

Although it does make some sense to roster because of the off days in the first two weeks of the season but what do you do with the 5th starter if you add an extra bat but do not want to over tax the BP?

Do you think if the starter gets in trouble Taillon will be used? I do not think that will happen no matter what happens in a one of the three games.

(Awful nickname, by the way)