Joe Pignatano passes

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Joe Pignatano passes

Post by Surgnbuck »

I'm not old enough to remember him, I just happened to read the story about him in Yahoo sports. What an interesting read!

Without going into the whole article, Joe was a catcher with the Dodgers, and played in the last game at Ebbet's Field. He went to Los Angeles with the team, and won a World Series ring in 1959.

The Dodgers needed some additional cash to complete Dodger Stadium, and sold him to the Kansas City A's for $50,000, though the story say the Dodgers claim the amount was less. How many guys can say they were traded for a stadium?

His last big league at bat ended with him hitting into a triple play!

He went into coaching, and won another ring with the 1969 Miracle Mets as the bullpen coach. He spotted a wild tomato growing, and grew tomatoes in the bullpen!

Also interesting, the A's traded him to San Francisco for Jose Tartabull, the father of Danny Tartabull, who would play for Kansas City.

I know I could have put this in the thread that I believe is still out there, but thought this was just too interesting to dig that thread up.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-catcher ... 44294.html

Bobster21

Joe Pignatano passes

Post by Bobster21 »

183E392C25293E28204B0 wrote: I'm not old enough to remember him, I just happened to read the story about him in Yahoo sports. What an interesting read!

Without going into the whole article, Joe was a catcher with the Dodgers, and played in the last game at Ebbet's Field. He went to Los Angeles with the team, and won a World Series ring in 1959.

The Dodgers needed some additional cash to complete Dodger Stadium, and sold him to the Kansas City A's for $50,000, though the story say the Dodgers claim the amount was less. How many guys can say they were traded for a stadium?

His last big league at bat ended with him hitting into a triple play! 

He went into coaching, and won another ring with the 1969 Miracle Mets as the bullpen coach. He spotted a wild tomato growing, and grew tomatoes in the bullpen!

Also interesting, the A's traded him to San Francisco for Jose Tartabull, the father of Danny Tartabull, who would play for Kansas City.

I know I could have put this in the thread that I believe is still out there, but thought this was just too interesting to dig that thread up.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-catcher ... 44294.html

Very interesting! :o