4/11 Taillon vs Davis

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

massbucsfan

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by massbucsfan »

2E293F37392E69651C3B313D3530723F33315C0 wrote: Here we go again with the we are all overreacting posts ,I haven't seen anyone say the seasons over we argue about this every year some people watch these games,spending money like myself and you react to what you see so far I don't see a very good team ,will that change it could ,hopefully it will but every year certain posters seem like it's their job to call out the people who go by what they see game by game ,it is what it is I guess

Probably half the posts are about Cole of Glasnow - pretty legit topics if you ask me. 

Yeah I would say there are a bunch of legitimate topics to discuss isn't that are what message boards are for if you want to wait for 80 games to be played and then form your opinions that's fine but it should be free game to talk about things you like and don't like when you want
rucker59@gmail.com

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

505C4E4E5F485E4E5B5C533D0 wrote: Here we go again with the we are all overreacting posts ,I haven't seen anyone say the seasons over we argue about this every year some people watch these games,spending money like myself and you react to what you see so far I don't see a very good team ,will that change it could ,hopefully it will but every year certain posters seem like it's their job to call out the people who go by what they see game by game ,it is what it is I guess

Probably half the posts are about Cole of Glasnow - pretty legit topics if you ask me. 

Yeah I would say there are a bunch of legitimate topics to discuss isn't that are what message boards are for if you want to wait for 80 games to be played and then form your opinions that's fine but it should be free game to talk about things you like and don't like when you want

I agree. And I don't see a single overreaction. The Pirates have played like you know what. It is what it is. You're right - what the heck are we suppose to talk about, the excellent condition of the grass?
SCBucco

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by SCBucco »

585446465740564653545B350 wrote: Here we go again with the we are all overreacting posts ,I haven't seen anyone say the seasons over we argue about this every year some people watch these games,spending money like myself and you react to what you see so far I don't see a very good team ,will that change it could ,hopefully it will but every year certain posters seem like it's their job to call out the people who go by what they see game by game ,it is what it is I guess

Well, what positive do we have to discuss? The pitching isn't good; the hitting is brutal and the power is non existent. Yes, its early. However, the optics look terrible, even in wins. We looked terrible in a sweep against Atlanta. Fact is fact, the FO didn't do anything of note to improve the situation, absent resign Nova. Again, what can we talk about that is positive exactly?
mouse

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by mouse »

VaPirate raised a question (how did the Reds rebuild so fast) on a topic I've wondered about since NH started. My thought was what is the way to rebuild. NH's approach was to view pitching as the most important ingredient and so started trying to grab as many as he could and build a staff around that. Theo Epstein went the other way, grabbing hitters, position players, figuring he could add pitchers later (and he has the budget to do that, of course). I think the Pirates approach would have worked -- they certainly had some strong teams there for two or three years -- they just happened to peak as a team in a division where the Cards and then Cubs were also peaking. But I still wonder if one approach is better than the other. I can't decide what the Reds are doing.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7A78626472170 wrote: VaPirate raised a question (how did the Reds rebuild so fast) on a topic I've wondered about since NH started. My thought was what is the way to rebuild. NH's approach was to view pitching as the most important ingredient and so started trying to grab as many as he could and build a staff around that. Theo Epstein went the other way, grabbing hitters, position players, figuring he could add pitchers later (and he has the budget to do that, of course). I think the Pirates approach would have worked -- they certainly had some strong teams there for two or three years -- they just happened to peak as a team in a division where the Cards and then Cubs were also peaking. But I still wonder if one approach is better than the other. I can't decide what the Reds are doing.

The Brewers tried to build with hitters and their plan really hasn't worked. I always wondered what is the best way and I am not sure if there is a true answer.
mouse

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by mouse »

I had forgotten about the Brewers. I think it did work that one season, but then the budget caught up with them. Maybe there isn't an answer.
rucker59@gmail.com

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

262D25292C2D367375023B232A2D2D6C212D420 wrote: VaPirate raised a question (how did the Reds rebuild so fast) on a topic I've wondered about since NH started. My thought was what is the way to rebuild. NH's approach was to view pitching as the most important ingredient and so started trying to grab as many as he could and build a staff around that. Theo Epstein went the other way, grabbing hitters, position players, figuring he could add pitchers later (and he has the budget to do that, of course). I think the Pirates approach would have worked -- they certainly had some strong teams there for two or three years -- they just happened to peak as a team in a division where the Cards and then Cubs were also peaking. But I still wonder if one approach is better than the other. I can't decide what the Reds are doing.

The Brewers tried to build with hitters and their plan really hasn't worked.  I always wondered what is the best way and I am not sure if there is a true answer. 

How ever they're doing it, the Reds look like a solid team. For all the emphasis on pitching and hoarding of prospects by the Pirates, the Reds look like they have a better future then the Pirates.

I know it's tempting to run the Reds down (I remember 2 years ago folks on here mocking the Cubs when I posted about how the Pirates will soon be contending against a juggernaut so the Pirates needed to maximize their then potential), but the Reds beat the Pirates in every phase of the game including Pitching. I'll put it this way, if I could keep Taillion and Polanco and maybe Marte I'd think real seriously about swapping the rest of the roster.

I'm still hoping the Pirates push for a WC and they may. But I also recognize that we may have deceived ourselves into overvaluing this team. 2015 was almost a great year, but if will soon be pretty far back in the rear view mirror. When we stop looking at 2015 we may be surprised to see we're no better than 4th in the NLC in 2017.

This isn't doomsday over the top reaction. It's an honest accessment from a die hard Pirates fan that drops quite a bit of $$$ each year supporting the team. I want them to win the next 154 and I'll even be thankful to eat all the crow the "be happy" crowd want to toss my way - we all really do want the same thing.

But this isn't about 8 games in 2017, it's about missed opportunity the past couple years and a current team that I'm not so sure about (though hopeful) and another winter that I KNOW the FO did next to nothing to improve.

And then I watch the Reds humilate the Pirates and I'm willing to recognize that maybe we've been naïve in our self assessment.

I think we're a lot better than we've shown today. But I don't know if we're better then the Reds. And if we're not that's pretty disappointing result now that we're at 2017, "our" WS year....
Quail

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by Quail »

Man, the good news is the Pirates can't possibly be as bad as they looked in this series against the Reds. They may not be all that great but certainly better than what they've shown so far. The trouble is that their upcoming schedule will do them no favors so this could look a lot worse a week from now even if they start to play better. :'(
Bobster21

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by Bobster21 »

0D293D35305C0 wrote: Man, the good news is the Pirates can't possibly be as bad as they looked in this series against the Reds. They may not be all that great but certainly better than what they've shown so far. The trouble is that their upcoming schedule will do them no favors so this could look a lot worse a week from now even if they start to play better.  :'(
If the Pirates are going to be as good as we hope they can be, then they have to beat good teams. If the upcoming schedule makes them look worse, then we have no right to expect them to compete against good teams. And they won't go far beating only dregs like the Braves.
Aaron

4/11 Taillon vs Davis

Post by Aaron »

787F69616F783F334A6D676B6366246965670A0 wrote:

But this isn't about 8 games in 2017, it's about missed opportunity the past couple years and a current team that I'm not so sure about (though hopeful) and another winter that I KNOW the FO did next to nothing to improve.

Now THIS is 100% spot on.

I'm not overly concerned about the first 8 games. But this organization did not take advantage of the situation they were in for a couple of years and it doesn't appear we'll be getting that close anytime soon.