Game Day Thread 6/27/23 Bucs vs. Nats

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

2D7B6D79766C7C777A6D5F78727E7673317C1F0 wrote: Why not pinch hit Chavis for Perez?  With the moronic ghost runner, most games are wrapped up within two innings.  No need anymore to save the catcher.
BTW I meant to add, I agree with you. However, you didn't hear the broadcast.

Heineman was going to leave at the drop of the hat for the birth of his kid. Delay was on the taxi squad in case that happened.

So in this instance, they weren't with their hands exactly tied, but pretty close to it.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

It's interesting that the starting pitching is starting to come around and keep them in games, though not exactly dominating, but Contreras, Keller, Quintana, and Brubaker are starting to make a solid rotation. It's that 5th guy we need someone to step up, hopefully Yajure is up to the task.

But the bullpen, we know we had some weak links in there, but with Stratton a question mark, Banda always was and sent packing, really a gut punch when Crowe and Bednar aren't perfect.

Hopefully De Los Santos continues to do well, Vieaux has looked good so far, with Crowe and Bednar, if one other guy could step up it would be nice. Maybe that might be Brice.

Still, that's a starter and two half way reliable relief pitchers still needed, and those guys all end up going a bullpen game.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Another tough loss. Not sure what they can do to fix the pen.

Stratton's fortunes have really taken a downturn, and Crowe has been pretty shaky too. At present, the best hope for improvements are Underwood and Meares coming back; depressing to think about, and Peters; not so depressing if he is healthy.

While I am a BC fan, someone in the organization (likely a group of someone's) underestimated the value of Clay Holmes (doing exceptionally well for the Yankees) and Chad Kuehl (who just pitched a complete game against the Dodgers). The Holmes trade added some okay parts (Castillo and Park), but letting Kuehl walk could have been avoided for not much more than what the team paid Hembree.

Going forward, I believe Shelton should regularly try to get another inning out of the starters; should use some combo of Dejong, Crowe and Beede (I suggested the Bucs should release him a little more than a month ago)in the 7th and 8th; and should use Stratton in the 5th and 6th. If Thompson returns by the all-star break and is healthy that should help the starting rotation.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

173136232A2631272F440 wrote: Why not pinch hit Chavis for Perez?  With the moronic ghost runner, most games are wrapped up within two innings.  No need anymore to save the catcher.
BTW I meant to add, I agree with you. However, you didn't hear the broadcast.

[highlight]Heineman was going to leave at the drop of the hat for the birth of his kid.[/highlight] Delay was on the taxi squad in case that happened.

So in this instance, they weren't with their hands exactly tied, but pretty close to it.

Thanks for that. You're right, I was following the game on Gameday, not the TV or radio.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

The Pirates have scored fewer than 3 runs in 31 of the 73 games played so far this season.

Of those 31 games, the Pirates have won 3; fewer than 10%.

The Pirates have held opponents to under 3 runs 16 times.

The Pirates have won 13 of the 16 (81%.)

I conclude from this that- pitching or no pitching, LMGs or proven veterans, Yankees, Pirates, or Nationals- no team is going to win very many games if they can't score more than two runs.

Ben's Future HOFers won't make any HOF if they can't score runs.  There must be some horizon on a distant planet where teams can win when they don't score.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

0D382F2F241D2F2F24232F4A0 wrote: The Pirates have scored fewer than 3 runs in 31 of the 73 games played so far this season.

Of those 31 games, the Pirates have won 3; fewer than 10%.

The Pirates have held opponents to under 3 runs 16 times.

The Pirates have won 13 of the 16 (81%.)

I conclude from this that- pitching or no pitching, LMGs or proven veterans, Yankees, Pirates, or Nationals- no team is going to win very many games if they can't score more than two runs.

Ben's Future HOFers won't make any HOF if they can't score runs.  There must be some horizon on a distant planet where teams can win when they don't score.
Look who magically shows up the moment there's a losing streak, with the scintillating appraisal of, "they don't win when they don't outscore the other team".

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Look who has nothing to add; nothing to dispute.

I presented the facts only because others focused on pitching.

Thanks for your brand of magic.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

784D5A5A51685A5A51565A3F0 wrote: Look who has nothing to add; nothing to dispute.

I presented the facts only because others focused on pitching.

Thanks for your brand of magic.
You mean like how I presented to you the drastic improvement over 2020 with last season, but you just focused on the losses, as if improvement meant nothing?

Please, go preach your BS elsewhere.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Surg,

The point was the number/percentage of lower-scoring games. If you choose to go beyond that, be my guest.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

634542575E5245535B300 wrote: Shelton seems pretty PO'd when asked about Stratton..."hung a breaking ball, you have to make a pitch in that situation" then answered another question, "we have to make that pitch"

Why not Bednar for a 4 out save ? That's generally the move when you don't have a shut down guy for the 8th . Sheldon went from 2-3 inning saves to this 1 inning mentality for Bednar. You would almost think he may have been issued a directive from above.