Game Day Thread 5/27/2021 Cubs (26-22) vs. Pirates (18-30)

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Just to record it somewhere, Baez's time from home to first was 15 seconds.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

356375616E74646F627547606A666E6B2964070 wrote: Thinking about this further, I can't imagine it even occurred to Shelton and the coaching staff to review the force play rule, that they'd just assume that major league infielders would know it.  But after spending last year with this group, he and his coaches should've realized that these guys are baseball-stupid and have no developmental foundation.  They apparently know nothing.  So I guess Shelton does bear more responsibility than I first thought.

I really didn't have much of an opinion about Shelton until this transpired today.  He's proven over the past year and a half that he shouldn't be leading a major league club.  He needs to be let go as soon as BC can arrange for someone who's suited for the job to take over.
I'm way ahead of ya. I was shocked at how bad a job Shelton did last year. Of course he shouldn't have thought he'd have to teach a first baseman to step on first base. But at some point when a team is so fundamentally flawed, it falls on the manager. His batting orders, who he plays, who he rests, pitching decisions and overall lack of fundamentals show he is out of his element as a manager.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

4D606D7C7B6A7D3D3E0F0 wrote: Thinking about this further, I can't imagine it even occurred to Shelton and the coaching staff to review the force play rule, that they'd just assume that major league infielders would know it.  But after spending last year with this group, he and his coaches should've realized that these guys are baseball-stupid and have no developmental foundation.  They apparently know nothing.  So I guess Shelton does bear more responsibility than I first thought.

I really didn't have much of an opinion about Shelton until this transpired today.  He's proven over the past year and a half that he shouldn't be leading a major league club.  He needs to be let go as soon as BC can arrange for someone who's suited for the job to take over.
I'm way ahead of ya. I was shocked at how bad a job Shelton did last year. Of course he shouldn't have thought he'd have to teach a first baseman to step on first base. But at some point when a team is so fundamentally flawed, it falls on the manager. His batting orders, who he plays, who he rests, pitching decisions and overall lack of fundamentals show he is out of his element as a manager. 
I have had 6 people ( none of them Only bucs members) from different sections of the country send me the website and to offer their condolences
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

4D73767E6D75757E5E7B6C7F281A0 wrote: "Embarrassment" is a word that describes Pirate games all too often.

This game was not lost because of the difference in talent between the 2 rosters. It was lost because the Pirates fail to comprehend the game of baseball.
I turned the game off in the bottom of the eighth when Frazier ran us out of the inning. where in the hell was he going?
On another note, I would bet my house that Polanco and Pelez would not homer in the same game.

And your Mrs would kick upside head so hard you would be spit 'n' teeth for a month of Sundays.
BenM

Post by BenM »

The "rundown" is now one of the top stories (not just sports) on the Washington Post webpage.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

705D50414657400003320 wrote: Thinking about this further, I can't imagine it even occurred to Shelton and the coaching staff to review the force play rule, that they'd just assume that major league infielders would know it.  But after spending last year with this group, he and his coaches should've realized that these guys are baseball-stupid and have no developmental foundation.  They apparently know nothing.  So I guess Shelton does bear more responsibility than I first thought.

I know you've been critical of him going back to last season. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, due to it being his first year, that he had no talent to work with, and the way COVID affected the season. But not anymore. Looking back at his full body of work, he hasn't made good decisions and he seems to have a personality that doesn't show confidence and strength. He seems far more suited to being in a support role as a coach or a coordinator, not someone whose in the lead .
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

1433381B560 wrote: The Pirates are the laughingstock of baseball twitter this afternoon.

There is a period (.) that goes after the word "baseball."
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

063324242F1624242F2824410 wrote: The Pirates are the laughingstock of baseball twitter this afternoon.

True. Their laughingstockiosity goes well beyond this afternoon.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

517C71606776612122130 wrote: The Pirates are the laughingstock of baseball twitter this afternoon.

True. Their laughingstockiosity goes well beyond this afternoon.

That right there draws the 5-yard penalty flag for "off-sides!"

I'm not allowed to be right about anything around here, am I? ;)

Back to the subject- I've looked at this so-called "play" several times, and here's the part that bothers me as much as the "play" itself.

This is a home game- in Pittsburgh. Pirates wearing white.

I'm not a big believer in boo-ing unless it's absolutely warranted. I think this is about as cut and dry as it gets. I heard more cheering than any booing. Have we gotten to the point where people don't care when stuff like this happens?

Seriously, I can't believe that fans weren't up in arms. This is at least one- and probably more than one- symptom of uttter incompetence, and I don't think fans should stand for it.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

We finally made Sports Center.