Tomorrow Is The Day To Exchange Arbitration Figures

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5D51500B020B030E09160C3B0 wrote: The Pirates decided that the free agent acquisition of Roberto Perez was worth $5 million a year. I find it hard to believe that their valuation of Reynolds at 4.25 million is anything other than a lowball offer.
You make a good point as to the amount they gave Perez. Why would they lowball their best player, or even not attempt to resolve the outstanding contract? I cannot understand what the Pirates reasoning is for not settling with Reynolds. As a long time Pirates fan it is very upsetting.

The reasoning is quite simple to understand: Nutting’s first priority is to save/make money. It’s not like this is a new tactic on his part.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7C70712A232A222F28372D1A0 wrote: The Pirates decided that the free agent acquisition of Roberto Perez was worth $5 million a year. I find it hard to believe that their valuation of Reynolds at 4.25 million is anything other than a lowball offer.
You make a good point as to the amount they gave Perez. Why would they lowball their best player, or even not attempt to resolve the outstanding contract? I cannot understand what the Pirates reasoning is for not settling with Reynolds. As a long time Pirates fan it is very upsetting.
They wanted an experienced, strong defensive catcher to replace Stallings. Perez was a FA and in the driver's seat in negotiations. He could simply refuse the offer and look elsewhere. The Pirates paid him 5 million in order to acquire his services. Reynolds is not a FA and does not have the leverage that Perez had. So the Pirates did indeed lowball him and Reynolds' only option is to go to arbitration. The Pirates are hoping the arbitrators agree to their offer. A less miserly organization would probably have gone the extra mile for their best player, especially since the difference was small. But the Pirates pinch pennies. They weren't going to pay Reynolds relative to what they paid Perez because one player had leverage and the other didn't.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

We lost 101 games with the guy.  We can lose 101 with him again until he's finally dumped for the proverbial treasure trove of suspects.  I'll say it's weeks or months, not years from now.  I hope that I'm wrong.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Apparently the Pirates aren't the only ones to quibble over "small" bits of money. After letting Freeman go, they also have two arbitrations with players who were important in the championship last year where the amount contested is $250,000.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/ke ... li=BBnbfcL
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

True, the Brav-o's let Freeman go, but they didn't exactly replace him with the prototypical LMG. So, there is that.