Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Pirates of the Past -- cuppa coffee guys

Post by Bobster21 »

Appeared in 1 game for Bucs in 1962.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Another former Buc from 1962 was catcher Cal Neeman. He did not get much playing time, but my family and I went to the game on Father's Day at Forbes Field that year and he hit a home run. I was 10 years old at the time, and that was the second MLB game that I attended.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7F7372292029212C2B342E190 wrote: Another former Buc from 1962 was catcher Cal Neeman. He did not get much playing time, but my family and I went to the game on Father's Day at Forbes Field that year and he hit a home run. I was 10 years old at the time, and that was the second MLB game that I attended.

OMG!!! That was my First Pirate game!  6/17/62.  Bob Skinner had 4 hits. Harvey Haddix beat Warren Spahn 7-3. Clemente, Hoak and Neeman had 2 hits apiece. I was disapponted that Smoky Burgess didn't catch. But Neeman hit the first HR I ever saw. It was his only HR as a Pirate.

Hall-of-Famers in that game: Spahn, Aaron, Clemente, Mazeroski, Uecker (announcer's HOF). If Ed Mathews hadn't been hurt, there'd have been one more!

You might also like the  Post-Gazette story of that game. Go to the 6/18/62 edition.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... page&hl=en
Quail

Post by Quail »

Ah the early 60's. So many great cuppas, many of whom donned the 'tools of ignorance' for the Buccos. Here's another one, Elmo Plaskett. Played in 10 games for the Pirates from 1962-1963 (9 at C and 1 at 3b) and managed to finish with a lifetime BA right at the Mendoza line.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Plaskett had some very good minor league seasons hitting but had no position to play. In ST of 1960, they tried to convert him to a catcher. But that didn't take either. So they finally gave up on him. But on 9/17/62, Plaskett hit a 3-run HR in a 5-2 win over SF. It was his only MLB HR.
iwatch

Post by iwatch »

Charlie Sands had 26 ABs for the Bucs in '71 & '72

iwatch

Post by iwatch »

And how about Jim Foor? Pitched in 3 games for the '73 Bucs totaling 1.1 IP. His career ERA is 12.00 with a WHIP of 3.500
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2A342237202B430 wrote: Charlie Sands had 26 ABs for the Bucs in '71 & '72

Sands had more than the cup of coffee. He was on the roster the entire 1971 season and even had an AB in the World Series. Chuck Tanner liked him as a pinch hitter and reserve catcher.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Bobster, Don't you mean the tobacco chewing Irishman, Danny Murtaugh? :D

Beat'em Bucs

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5A6D7B6B5E797671765F59180 wrote: Bobster, Don't you mean the tobacco chewing Irishman, Danny Murtaugh? :D

Beat'em Bucs

Yep. I sure do! Thanks. Got a little ahead of myself.