Will someone pick up Polanco?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I don’t see any contender picking him up. Every AB is too valuable to take a flyer on a guy like Polanco.

But a team like the Pirates will surely give him a month long chance. Heck, if he wasn’t released by the Pirates I’d expect the Pirates to take a look.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Another confusing part of this to me is, if Polanco is signed by another club, but the Pirates are paying the remainder of his 2021 contract (minus the prorated minimum wage), plus the $3 million buyout, which team actually owns him? He'd be playing for someone else, but he'd be paid by the Pirates. Shouldn't the Pirates be the club that determines which part of the contract, the buyout or his full 2022 salary, is to be paid to him?
2drfischer@gmail.c

2D2A3C343A2D6A661F38323E3633713C30325F0 wrote: I don’t see any contender picking him up. Every AB is too valuable to take a flyer on a guy like Polanco. 

[highlight]But a team like the Pirates will surely give him a month long chance.  Heck, if he wasn’t released by the Pirates I’d expect the Pirates to take a look.[/highlight] 

That's a good point. But the Pirates have been giving him a look all season long and the results have been pretty bad. There may well be a GM who would like to take a closer look, and may even have ideas on how Polanco can be fixed, but his past two and a half years have been a fairly good indication of what another club can expect.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

603620343B21313A372012353F333B3E7C31520 wrote: I don’t see any contender picking him up. Every AB is too valuable to take a flyer on a guy like Polanco. 

[highlight]But a team like the Pirates will surely give him a month long chance.  Heck, if he wasn’t released by the Pirates I’d expect the Pirates to take a look.[/highlight] 

That's a good point.  But the Pirates have been giving him a look all season long and the results have been pretty bad.  There may well be a GM who would like to take a closer look, and may even have ideas on how Polanco can be fixed, but his past two and a half years have been a fairly good indication of what another club can expect.

True. No doubt. But for $100K I’d still kick the tires. For a non contender, why not (unless blocking someone)?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

They'd probably be blocking someone.  I would think that most of the non-contenders have a Polanco that they'd like to get rid of, too.  That's why they're non-contenders.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2F796F7B746E7E75786F5D7A707C7471337E1D0 wrote: If Polanco is picked up now, the Pirates are responsible for the contract with the new team only having to pay the MLB minimum. So what if he gets picked up and the team decides to keep him through the remainder of the contract? He's due 12.5 mil in 2022 and 13.5 mil in 2023 but his new team can have him for the minimum each year. [highlight]The Pirates would be on the hook for nearly 25 million instead of keeping him until next year and buying him out for 3 million.[/highlight] It's hard to believe the Pirates would take such a chance so maybe there's more to the rule than meets the eye.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactio ... 20contract.

That doesn't seem right to me.  Before the start of next season, the Pirates are obligated to pay Polanco either the buyout amount, $3 million, or his contract in full, $12.5 million, for 2022.  So, even if he's playing elsewhere, can't the Pirates just pay the buyout amount and end their contract agreement with him?  Isn't that the purpose of the buyout?  He can play for whichever team is willing to sign him but the Pirates obligation to pay him any additional money thereafter has been satisfied with the buyout, right?
See wvbucco's post above. If the Pirates can pay the buyout for next year before releasing him it resolves the problem. That would make sense.

I guess I'm confused as to why the Pirates would have to pay the buyout even before releasing him.  I thought they weren't required to make that decision until the current season ended.  But if the club had to pay or agree to pay that $3 million now, I would think the Front Office was aware of that.  If not, Bob Nutting's going to be mad as hell.
That's also what I thought. However it would create the problematic situation I previously noted. Because once another team picks him up they control the contract but only have to pay the minimum with the Pirates making up the difference. The Pirates could not tell the other team after the season that they are buying out the contract and making the player--by now with his new team--a free agent. The new team could keep him for the remaining years of the contract and pay only the minimum while the Pirates would be on the hook for the rest. But if the Pirates have the option, as wvbucco indicated, to buy out the contract immediately upon releasing him--before any other team can pick him up and take control of the contract--then the contract being picked up by the new team expires after this season. That's the only way it makes sense. Otherwise the Pirates would have to keep him until they could buy him out after the season ends in order to prevent another team from picking him up now and keeping him thru the remaining 2 years of the contract while the Pirates pay most of it.
2drfischer@gmail.c

406D60717667703033020 wrote: If Polanco is picked up now, the Pirates are responsible for the contract with the new team only having to pay the MLB minimum. So what if he gets picked up and the team decides to keep him through the remainder of the contract? He's due 12.5 mil in 2022 and 13.5 mil in 2023 but his new team can have him for the minimum each year. [highlight]The Pirates would be on the hook for nearly 25 million instead of keeping him until next year and buying him out for 3 million.[/highlight] It's hard to believe the Pirates would take such a chance so maybe there's more to the rule than meets the eye.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactio ... 20contract.

That doesn't seem right to me.  Before the start of next season, the Pirates are obligated to pay Polanco either the buyout amount, $3 million, or his contract in full, $12.5 million, for 2022.  So, even if he's playing elsewhere, can't the Pirates just pay the buyout amount and end their contract agreement with him?  Isn't that the purpose of the buyout?  He can play for whichever team is willing to sign him but the Pirates obligation to pay him any additional money thereafter has been satisfied with the buyout, right?
See wvbucco's post above. If the Pirates can pay the buyout for next year before releasing him it resolves the problem. That would make sense.

I guess I'm confused as to why the Pirates would have to pay the buyout even before releasing him.  I thought they weren't required to make that decision until the current season ended.  But if the club had to pay or agree to pay that $3 million now, I would think the Front Office was aware of that.  If not, Bob Nutting's going to be mad as hell.
That's also what I thought. However it would create the problematic situation I previously noted. Because once another team picks him up they control the contract but only have to pay the minimum with the Pirates making up the difference. The Pirates could not tell the other team after the season that they are buying out the contract and making the player--by now with his new team--a free agent. The new team could keep him for the remaining years of the contract and pay only the minimum while the Pirates would be on the hook for the rest. [highlight]But if the Pirates have the option, as wvbucco indicated, to buy out the contract immediately upon releasing him--before any other team can pick him up and take control of the contract--then the contract being picked up by the new team expires after this season.[/highlight] That's the only way it makes sense. Otherwise the Pirates would have to keep him until they could buy him out after the season ends in order to prevent another team from picking him up now and keeping him thru the remaining 2 years of the contract while the Pirates pay most of it. 

Okay, that makes sense. If the Front Office didn't pay the $3 million buyout, and Nutting is stuck with paying Polanco the $25 million left on the contract, I might get a chuckle out of it. But someone might lose his/her job and that's not funny. And then Nutting will reduce planned payroll for the next two years by $25 million and that'll hurt the club even more. Geez, I hope the FO didn't screw this up.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

The Blue Jays have signed outfielder Gregory Polanco to a minor league deal, the team informed reporters (including Shi Davidi of Sportsnet). Toronto also re-signed right-hander Elvis Luciano, who had been released last week, on a minors pact
shedman

Post by shedman »

All the B;ue Jays have to do is give him a couple days in the minors and then bring him up and play him everyday and voila, they have a 20/20 player. Meantime we get Cole Tucker.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4B505D5C555956380 wrote: All the B;ue Jays have to do is give him a couple days in the minors and then bring him up and play him everyday and voila, they have a 20/20 player.  Meantime we get Cole Tucker.
Tucker is worthless. But you think Polanco is going to hit 9 HRs and steal 6 bases in September? Just how stupid are you?