2017 Draft thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

2017 Draft thread

Post by IABucFan »

From Jim Callis on our comp pick, Steve Jennings, "Steve Jennings is one of my favorite stories in the Draft. He's a star quarterback who tore his ACL in September but was back on the mound this spring. There were times when he showed a plus fastball-slider combination. His other pitches are promising, and he's a good athlete."
IABucFan

2017 Draft thread

Post by IABucFan »

And on our competitive balance pick, "Conner Uselton gave up the gridiron to focus on baseball. His bat speed, strength and leverage give him tremendous raw power. He showed improved hitting skills this spring. With his cannon arm and solid speed, he's an asset on defense as well."
dogknot17@yahoo.co

2017 Draft thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4540474149435A474E5D5B562F0 wrote: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/ ... 211075.php

Nice write up on Baz.

I wonder if he and Ke'Bryan hayes are friends as they went to the same high school? Even so, get Hayes on the phone with Baz to tell him to sign and the benefits of the Pirates' organization.

Who wants to go to class and study? Take the money.
Tintin

2017 Draft thread

Post by Tintin »

7279717D7879622721566F777E7979387579160 wrote: I think all pitchers can be a crap shoot.  College pitchers are often over used.  High School pitchers are over used and face less talented players.  Teams need to rely on old school scouting and not just stats. 

It is bad to miss on first rounders first time through the draft.  Those picks should be known with higher expectations.

It's all a crap shoot. College pitchers wash out. College hitters wash out. Some get the money and stop putting forth effort, some get hurt. There is no formula short of good scouting.

I prefer to draft upside. I think Baz was one of the best three players left on the board.

The other three seem to be good athletes who seem to be coachable.

I think this is as good as you can hope for.
UtahPirate

2017 Draft thread

Post by UtahPirate »

72404C4C586A49404D484740210 wrote: Prep-HS arms early is just disappointing to me because of how far away all these kids are.  We've had some huge, huge BOMBs with prep pitchers early and really not much success at all.  Entire draft classes of NHs have washed out with prep pitchers

There's Taillon.   is there really anyone else?   Mitch Keller is in A+ ball.   The fact that there's almost nobody and we've gone heavy on prep pitchers several times now is disappointing.     

I have no idea who is good and who isn't, but we can be reasonably sure these guys aren't going to sniff the big leagues until ~2022 -2023 and then there's always the adjustment period for pitchers.  I'd rather see a HS position player, but we've not had any real success with that either.

So yeah.  I would like CLOSER guys to be used with top picks and prep guys be used later.   If there's anything baseball people should be learning from the steady and regular failure of their "can't miss" prospects, it's that baseball people don't know much.   Nobody knows much. 

It's even more impossible to know with 18 year olds.   Throwing value slots at that hail mary is bad strategy imo

Yeah, I don't know.  They do seem to wash out more but they also seem harder to get down the road.  I sure wouldn't be sad if they loaded up on bats though.

I was really surprised we went with all HS kids. Our strategy in recent years has been to sign college bats early and any high school pitchers more in the middle rounds. So we haven't seen this strategy of picking HS pitchers early for quite awhile.

I was interested that two of the kids had concentrated on football and fairly recently switched full time to baseball. That would make their games a little more raw than their contemporaries -- and would also reduce the wear on Jennings arm I would think. The Jennings pick is particularly interesting to me.
CTBucco

2017 Draft thread

Post by CTBucco »

The best college position players left at 12 were White (no-power 1Bman), Warmoth (limited ceiling, probably ends up at 2B), and Kendall (contact issues).

So, White is athletic enough to move to the OF, but with limited power, he's not a great corner OF prospect. That means he has to be able to play CF which is a big change from 1B. Risky.

Kendall seemed unlikely for the Bucs all along given the recent value placed on hit tool and contact skills. As for Warmoth, he's what we have plenty of in the system now.

The prep position players to consider were higher risk OFers (Thompson, Helios, Waters) who all would have been overdrafts based on rankings.

I'd guess that the choice, given what was left, came down to Baz or a college pitcher. Baz' floor, given his mix of pitches, is probably higher than most HS pitchers though not as high as the college pitchers. That said, he could be a #1 or #2 down the road. The pitch mix, the spin rates seem to give him a very high ceiling. I'd guess that ceiling is higher than what the Bucs felt the college pitchers could provide and with a floor not so much lower, Baz was worth the added risk.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

2017 Draft thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Not counting complimentary picks, Huntington has drafted two college pitchers (Cole, Appel) and two high school pitchers (Taillon, Baz) with the first round pick.

I love Meadows and think he will be special, but it stinks to see someone like Aaron Judge tearing it up when the Pirates had two shots at him.
Tintin

2017 Draft thread

Post by Tintin »

From fangraphs

"Thoughts

Perhaps the group with the most collective upside on the draft’s first day. Baz has top-10 stuff, Mitchell and Uselton have special hitting traits, and Jennings is the best of a group of above-average athletes."

SammyKhalifa

2017 Draft thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

That was fast.

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2017/6/13/157 ... th-pirates

Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26

Shane Baz(@thewizardofbaz)to sign w/@pirates:"It was a family decision.I kind of have the final say. It turned into an opp I can't pass up"
UtahPirate

2017 Draft thread

Post by UtahPirate »

Here come the tall, projectable pitchers:

11 Manasa, Alex Jackson CC RHP J1 6'4" 195lbs DOB: 01/06/98

15 Wallace, Gavin Fairfield U RHP JR 6'5" 210lbs DOB: 11/14/95

16 Stratton, Hunter Walters State CC RHP J2 6'4" 225lbs DOB: 11/17/96

18 Murray, Shea Ohio St U RHP SR 6'6" 240lbs DOB: 11/05/93

19 Webb, Jacob Pittsburg HS RHP HS 6'4" 200lbs DOB: 06/05/99

20 Reed, Will Harford CC RHP J2 6'2" 190lbs DOB: 11/03/95

25 Muhl, Eddie George Washington U RHP SR 6'4" 224lbs DOB: 06/20/95