Yankee Series Trip, Brew Pubs, and Sightseeing

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

676C64686D6C773234437A626B6C6C2D606C030 wrote: Where you are staying has a bar with very good food: Soho.

I was just down there yesterday and Local Brew House is open now caddy corner from your hotel and across from PNC Park.  The name sounds like they might have some good beer selections.  Right next door is Beer Garden - they have everything.

Dog, you need to explain to some of those who frequent OBN and are not from Pgh or WPa exactly what "caddy corner" or as I use the term "catty corner" really means. Would not want those out of towners to get lost and not enough our great city!

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Sure. It can be spelled several ways. I didn't think it was a "Pittsburgh" term.

It means diagonal.

https://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/caddy.html
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I never thought that was a Pittsburgh term either.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5D7C745D767E190 wrote: Where you are staying has a bar with very good food: Soho.

I was just down there yesterday and Local Brew House is open now caddy corner from your hotel and across from PNC Park.  The name sounds like they might have some good beer selections.  Right next door is Beer Garden - they have everything.

Dog, you need to explain to some of those who frequent OBN and are not from Pgh or WPa exactly what "caddy corner" or as I use the term "catty corner" really means.  Would not want those out of towners to get lost and not enough our great city!

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

I've always used kitty corner or catty corner.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

48434B474243581D1B6C554D444343024F432C0 wrote: Sure.  It can be spelled several ways.  I didn't think it was a "Pittsburgh" term.

It means diagonal. 

https://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/caddy.html

Your link says to not use caddy.

his expression, meaning “diagonally opposite,” was formed from a misspelling in English of the French word quatre (“four”) prefixed to “corner.” Although the word has nothing to do with cats or kittens, in various dialects all three spellings are acceptable: “catty,” “cater” or “kitty.”

But unless you have somebody holding your golf clubs permanently stationed in the corner of your room, you shouldn’t use the spelling “[highlight]caddy corner.[/highlight]”

I would have thought any spelling was acceptable.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

To be honest, I didn't know the spelling. Some sites say you can use caddy or catty.

Anyway, Local Brewhouse is open and it is very close to the hotel, Roberto.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4A41494540415A1F196E574F464141004D412E0 wrote: To be honest, I didn't know the spelling.  Some sites say you can use caddy or catty. 

Anyway, Local Brewhouse is open and it is very close to the hotel, Roberto.

It seems regional. I've also seen/heard Kitty Corner.

I don't know, I've always just said "diagonally" myself, haha.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

All variations derive from "cater-corner", with "cater" being a British word meaning diagonal.
Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

Arrived home last night at 1 am. In bed by 2 and at work by 830 am. Some observations. Strawberry crepe pancakes at Pamela's Diner were better than ever. Dinner at Penn Brewery was excellent. I enjoyed Fatheads. At Hofbrauhaus, skip the buffet and order off the menu. Best kept secret at PNC Park is Rivertowne Brewing.

Starting pitching is pretty good. Cutch is playing extremely hard, stealing a base, taking extra bases, playing a good center field. Bucs are not hitting with runners in scoring position. Defense may be our biggest weakness.