Game Thread - 5/31 - Bucs @ Dodgers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

99,410 folks get front row seats to witness the Pirates victories. I'm guessing a few of them are broken hearted Dodgers fans wondering, "how can this be?"

Wish I could have watched the game, I was quite under the weather.

Keller gets the win as a starting pitcher! How about that? Pirates now have taken the season series from the Dodgers. I can promise you, me, a few other posters, and probably the Pirates marketing department are going to hang our hats on this all season long, lol.

Loving Tucupita Marcano! Two of the three players in the Adam Frazier trade contributing for the Bucs right now.

Great to see Bryan Reynolds come through in the clutch with the RBI double in the 9th for the insurance run. Replay he thought they were going to intentionally walk him. Maybe that was his wake up call, "Naw, you scrub, we're pitching to you".

Pirates have 21 victories at the end of May, they had 20 last season, however they have played 5 fewer games than last season, sit at 21-27 compared to last seasons 20-33.

I wonder if Underwood Jr. is making any comments about the last 2 nights? Guy like him should be thankful for teams like the Pirates, he might have been playing independent league somewhere.

Road trip already a success. Hopefully this is a springboard for them.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Pirates ruined Urias bobblehead night.

Of course, we once had a bobblehead night (scheduled initially) for a player who ended up getting traded. And once put out a yearly calendar where 3 of the players were traded/released before the year started.

So, we feel for you Julio
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

113C31202736216162530 wrote: I sense that you are not encouraged by the way they make their playing time decisions. 
I find it disconcerting.  ;)

I guess the only think that I can come up with is- It really doesn't matter what goes into their playing time, lineup, or other decisions....as long as they win. @@@

Maybe it's a sneak attack. Catch them off guard. ;)

If they lose, that's when the door opens for questions.

Right now, the Dodgers fans are the ones who have the questions. They seem to have recently lost their answers when they play us.

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Hey Surg, You did it again. I woke up and just read the Trib sports website and was presently surprised that the Bucs won again. You seem to be the Bucs' "magic" charm when they are on the road. Keep it up Surg.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Gotta love taking the season series from the mighty Dodgers. Marcano deserves a long look just like Suwinski is getting. This season needs to be about having the prospects transition to MLB. And that seems to be happening to a large degree with those 2, Chavis, Contreras, Castro, Castillo. Hopefully more to come.

Not confident Keller is making progress. 5 IP and only 2 hits. But a HR, 5 BBs and a HBP. It reminds me of a game he pitched in September 2020 when he gave up 0 hits in 5 innings but walked 8. You won't give up many hits in just 5 innings if you don't give batters much to swing at. The latest spin is that he has a new sinker. That replaced the most recent spin that he increased his velocity. I hope something eventually works for him. It's hard to get by without throwing strikes. But a win is a win. We'll worry about his next start at his next start.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

Holy cow!!! Should the BUCS sweep the Dodgers in LA, no less, I'll run naked around Wildwood Daves house.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

3720362663656264626C550 wrote: Holy cow!!! Should the BUCS sweep the Dodgers in LA, no less, I'll run naked around Wildwood Daves house.
If they sweep all the window shades will be pulled down!
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

705D50414657400003320 wrote: They said they got Chang primarily to play 1B. It certainly wasn't for his hitting. He hit .228 last year and was DFA'd this year after going 0 for 10 with 7 Ks. So they put him in the lineup at DH.......for his hitting. VanMeter has hit safely in 7 of his last 8 games. So he got benched. After all those starts being an automatic out, we finally found a way to get him out of the lineup. Just start hitting and Shelton will give you a seat on the bench. :)
VanMeter has been doing too much base running with all these hits. Needed a rest
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Quintana tonight. Could it be??!!
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

It’s time to call Cruz and Mason Martin up here and the time to do so is on the off day on Thursday before the series at home with Arizona this weekend. Cruz is hitting .280 in the last 3-4 weeks with a .941 OPS and 6 home runs.  What the hell else do they want this kid to do before calling him up especially with all these injuries recently. This would be a perfect time to do this as well coming home in early June for a homestand after potentially sweeping the Dodgers in LA and having a little bit of a buzz around the team which doesn’t happen very often if at all anymore. Doing these moves would create just that. Pirate fans want to see along with Reynolds, Hayes, and Chavis guys like Cruz, Martin, Marcano, Mitchell, and Suwinski in the lineup consistently everyday they don’t want to see guys like VanMeter, Yu Chang, Hoy Park or Yoshi. Not calling these guys up now to start June after seeing they clearly deserve to be up here is just a complete derelict of duty on management.