Game Thread - 6/13 - Bucs @ Cards

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

614C41505746511112230 wrote: The Pirates didn't have a hit after the 5th inning.

In hindsight it's easy to say pulling Keller for Banda was a mistake. And I realize Keller was at 97 pitches and was in the 3rd time thru the order with runners and 1st and 3rd and 1 out. But at the time he had a 5-run lead. And 100 pitches is not a brick wall that cannot be passed. I would have left him in for at least 1 more batter to see if he could get out of trouble before pulling him. And if had got the next batter out, I would have again let him try to get the 3rd out.

But Shelton doesn't believe in letting pitchers get themselves out of trouble. At the first sign of trouble, they are pulled. He has an entire rotation that has no idea if they could ever get out of trouble because they are always replaced. That can't be a confidence booster. And it's not as if he has a lights out BP. There have been a lot of games where the BP blew the lead they inherited. I also don't see the rationale for Shelton being so petrified of a pitcher facing the lineup a 3rd time. When his BP fails, it is usually the first time the order is seeing them. Shelton is a slave to analytics so much so that performance is not part of the equation. But there's something to be said for getting thru the order twice already. Performance-wise, that's a clue that the pitcher is ahead of the hitters. But analytics-wise, the pitcher is ready to fail and must be pulled. Between his pitching philosophy and his lineups, having Shalton as manager is like spotting the other team 3 runs before the game even starts. 

I'd take that.  With BOB as owner and Ben as GM is at least four.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Keller's sinker was really working. Per the Post Gazette:

Keller used his sinker more than any other pitch at 30%, though he was also a little more diverse than we’ve seen him, throwing his four-seam fastball 26% of the time, his curveball 24% and his slider 16%.

“Just a better mentality of attacking hitters,” Keller said. “I think the sinker has helped a lot. Keeps right-handed hitters honest. That’s why my stuff has gotten a little better.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2206130048

Keller's sinker wasn't really working. Per the Trib:

With his sinker not working like it had in his previous start, Keller relied on his four-seam fastball and curveball, which he threw for a career-high 23 pitches of his 97 pitches.

https://triblive.com/sports/pirates-blo ... ve-defeat/

Good to know that Keller's sinker either was or wasn't working. :)