A Frightening Statement

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

A Frightening Statement

Post by Bobster21 »

082E2F382E3E4D0 wrote:

The only player taken in the first round that signed and had a better career than Pedro was Posey. Erik Hosmer has had a longer career but signed a contract that makes him an albatross for whatever team that rosters him.

Unfortunately, when Pedro got to the majors he was not able to improve and actually declined.  I was pretty excited when the Bucs drafted him (and the Rays passed and took Tim Beckham). I count him as a good pick for the Pirates even though it turned out he wasn't the second best player in that draft.

If you go by WAR as a very general overall rating, a number of those 1st rounders had better careers than Pedro including Hosmer, Brett Lawrie, Aaron Hicks, Younder Alonso, Justin Smoak, Gordon Beckham, Jason Castro, Lance Lynn and even former Pirate Ike Davis and almost Pirate Lonnie Chisenhall. .
GreenWeenie

A Frightening Statement

Post by GreenWeenie »

In maybe a "Different Shades" situation, I'd easily take Hosmer's career over Pedro's. He stuck with two teams longer. I could be wrong, but I don't think Hosmer signed a minor league contract like Pedro did after leaving the Orioles. Hosmer played with two better teams, and was able to go to two WS.

Not meant as a slight towards Alvarez; just a preference.

If for no other reason, I say that our CLS goes another year without Alvarez' contribution. As good as Cutch was, no one player ends that on his own. So, I'll give Alvarez some credit with the criticism of his holes.
Surgnbuck

A Frightening Statement

Post by Surgnbuck »

1A363E393215223424570 wrote: I periodically take a look at the team's Official Site.   In reading an article in which the writer offered his predictions on the opening day roster I ran across this nugget regarding Tsutsugo and Vogelbach likely splitting time at first.

First baseman/designated hitter (2): Yoshi Tsutsugo, Daniel Vogelbach.   ...  "Tsutsugo is the better defender of the two, but Vogelbach will see time at first base as well."

I have seen Tsutsugo play first, as well as serving as a statute when the Bucs stuck him in both LF and RF.   If Yoshi is the better defender of the two, if there are any fans seated along the RF line they should be thankful there is a net protecting them from any ball thrown to first. 

I think Tsutsugo is much better at first then you describe. He's also lost some weight by the looks of him. I've seen a couple of nimble plays this spring training already.

Sorry your thread got derailed on the very first post.