Game 1 thread - 9/13 - vs Reds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Hayes and Gamel with two out, back-to-back doubles to increase the lead to five in the ninth. Piling on is good.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Bucs win the first game. Let’s sweep!
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This team has stockpiled some solid young talent with potential, at least in terms of position players.

But will those players ACTUALLY IMPROVE year to year?

I can envision a path to this team being good next year, but that would require the following:

* Current young players improve (Cruz, Suwinski, Castro, etc.)

* Reynolds and Hayes improve

* Find a competent catcher

* Find a competent 1B with at least a little pop

* Sign at least 2 MAJOR LEAGUE PROVEN starting pitchers, at least one of whom should be a lefty.

That's a lot to ask, and the final bullet point is pipe dream.

Until this franchise decides to spend money and commit itself to acquiring quality starting pitching, nothing else will matter.
2drfischer@gmail.c

684A59444742454A695E4848442B0 wrote: This team has stockpiled some solid young talent with potential, at least in terms of position players.

But will those players ACTUALLY IMPROVE year to year?

I can envision a path to this team being good next year, but that would require the following:

* Current young players improve (Cruz, Suwinski, Castro, etc.)

* Reynolds and Hayes improve

* Find a competent catcher

* Find a competent 1B with at least a little pop

* Sign at least 2 MAJOR LEAGUE PROVEN starting pitchers, at least one of whom should be a lefty.

That's a lot to ask, and the final bullet point is pipe dream.

[highlight]Until this franchise decides to spend money[/highlight] and commit itself to acquiring quality starting pitching, nothing else will matter.

This is what's going to be interesting to watch. If this year's young players improve next year, and are then joined by other new arrivals in 2023-24, and they combine to make a very good, competitive team, Nutting will be between a rock and a hard place. I hope this is what happens so that he's either forced to spend, as he said he would, or he continues to show his true colors and restricts payroll from rising above $100 million. I'd love to see him on that hot seat.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Cots list the Bucs payroll at $55, with $73 mil on the 40 man roster.

Taking the payroll for the active roster could cause Nutting to have chest pains. Frankly, after seeing Nutting refusing to spend in the past when it could have made a real difference, leads me to believe it will never happen.

Nutting blew it. Fans were coming to PNC to see the team, now they struggle to draw 25,000 on a sky blast night. I cringe every time I see Nutting, and I view every word he says as trying to steal a tradition that he did not support or an outright lie.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

604C4443486F584E5E2D0 wrote: Cots list the Bucs payroll at $55, with $73 mil on the 40 man roster.

Taking the payroll for the active roster could cause Nutting to have chest pains.  Frankly, after seeing Nutting refusing to spend in the past when it could have made a real difference, leads me to believe it will never happen.

Nutting blew it.  Fans were coming to PNC to see the team, now they struggle to draw 25,000 on a sky blast night.  I cringe every time I see Nutting, and I view every word he says as trying to steal a tradition that he did not support or an outright lie.
Agreed. The 98-win 2015 playoff team set a franchise record for attendance. The team spin was that they increased payroll in 2016. But despite that revenue surge, the increase was negligible and did not keep pace with MLB payroll inflation. And payroll drastically reduced from that point on. If they increase spending it won't be by enough to get out of the payroll cellar dweller club. Maybe get to 25th instead of 28th. They won't even get close to the MLB average but they will trumpet any increase, no matter how small, as keeping their promise to the fans.
2drfischer@gmail.c

6C40484F4463544252210 wrote: Cots list the Bucs payroll at $55, with $73 mil on the 40 man roster.

Taking the payroll for the active roster could cause Nutting to have chest pains.  Frankly, after seeing Nutting refusing to spend in the past when it could have made a real difference, leads me to believe it will never happen.

Nutting blew it.  Fans were coming to PNC to see the team, now they struggle to draw 25,000 on a sky blast night.  I cringe every time I see Nutting, and I view every word he says as trying to steal a tradition that he did not support or an outright lie.

We’ll said. I expect, if and when the time comes, for Nutting to find some reason to not do what it takes to give his GM and the team what it needs to put them over the top. It’s just who he is.