5/16 afternoon game thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Osushawn

Post by Osushawn »

5453454D4354131F66414B474F4A0845494B260 wrote: Good win!

The small sample size is turning into a large sample size....

Would be curious to see the results of the season prediction thread if asked today?
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

10-3-1 in series so far on the year. .5 game out of having the best record in the National League. Fourth sweep of the year already, three coming against the AL. 10-2 so far in interleague play. In 2013 and 2015, the Pirates dominated interleague play. In some ways, it was defining in those years.

Not that you can "take away" games, but even of our 17 losses, eight have come in our stinkers against the Phillies and Nats. 25-9 against all teams not from Philadelphia or Washington.

No doubt, they will have ups and downs over the season, and a week from now, we might all be down in the dumps again, but right now, I don't care that it's the White Sox we just swept.

The White Sox are a terrible team, but the Cubs play them six times and already have one loss against them. The Cards and Brewers will each play them three times, and I've got to believe the White Sox won't go 0-6 in those games. But, here we are with a season sweep. Good teams beat bad team, and regardless of how bad the ChiSox, or Padres, or Reds, or anyone else is, it's not like they're playing some local beer league softball team, or heck, even a AAA team. The White Sox would win the IL going away. There are only 750 MLB jobs in any given year. So, 25 of the 750 best baseball players in the world play for the team we just beat four times. I'm becoming more and more convinced that this is a legitimate 90 win team, and 90 wins gets you in the playoffs.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I'm gonna add one more thing. Yes, I'm being positive and upbeat about this team. I predicted 65-97. They're going to blow right past that. And I'm thrilled! They might tank tomorrow. They might go all 2012 and have an epic September collapse. But I'll be danged if I sit by and pretend that what I'm witnessing isn't happening. This might be the only stretch of good baseball this team plays all year! Might as well enjoy it now.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

You could tell Taillon was having trouble controlling the curve, but still gutted it out (swinging bunt away from going six).

Good but not great work from the pen today. Congrats to Santana for his first career win (I think he joins Rodriguez and Kingham in the “first career win in 18” club).

While the offense wasn’t great, it was enough. Great clutch hitting by Bell in the seventh.

The Pirates can hold serve with good teams if they keep tearing up the bad ones.

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

747C7F485E7B5C533D0 wrote: 10-3-1 in series so far on the year. .5 game out of having the best record in the National League. Fourth sweep of the year already, three coming against the AL. 10-2 so far in interleague play. In 2013 and 2015, the Pirates dominated interleague play. In some ways, it was defining in those years.

Not that you can "take away" games, but even of our 17 losses, eight have come in our stinkers against the Phillies and Nats. 25-9 against all teams not from Philadelphia or Washington.

No doubt, they will have ups and downs over the season, and a week from now, we might all be down in the dumps again, but right now, I don't care that it's the White Sox we just swept.

The White Sox are a terrible team, but the Cubs play them six times and already have one loss against them. The Cards and Brewers will each play them three times, and I've got to believe the White Sox won't go 0-6 in those games. But, here we are with a season sweep. Good teams beat bad team, and regardless of how bad the ChiSox, or Padres, or Reds, or anyone else is, it's not like they're playing some local beer league softball team, or heck, even a AAA team. The White Sox would win the IL going away. There are only 750 MLB jobs in any given year. So, 25 of the 750 best baseball players in the world play for the team we just beat four times. I'm becoming more and more convinced that this is a legitimate 90 win team, and 90 wins gets you in the playoffs. I agree IA I am becoming more and more of a believer each and every game. The people who are still cynical about this team saying “it won’t last or “it’s too early can just go away because I’m tired of you and I get it. The Pirates can’t help who is on their schedule all they can do is beat the teams that are on it. And not they have absolutely feasted on the bad teams so far this season which is something they just weren’t doing in years past. Not to mention they are 10-3 against the division. Got 7 more games in a row coming up against bad teams before we see a huge amount of games both home and away against the Cards and Cubs. Pretty good chance this team enters June in 1st place and getting a guy like JHay back to this already solid lineup will make this Pirates team that more legit.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Listening to the White Sox broadcast team: they certainly think the Pirates are legitimate. I think they are a very good team capable of winning 90. It’s a fun team, and exciting. What’s there not to like? The fans are staying away in large numbers, the atmosphere at PNC is mostly pretty bad; a lot of people are missing an exciting season. I get “it”, but I hate to see the average fan miss out on this team’s successes.

OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

So the big issue to start the year was the bullpen, I remember at the time that I was more more concerned about position players continuing to perform. If there is one thing that the management braintrust has been able to do, it's piece together a good bullpen. Crick and Santana have emerged as reliable middle relief guys and Feliz and Vazquez as back end guys.

Going forward, the relative weakness of the rotation is hedged by the deep bullpen. The rotation has trouble going deep in games and it's still really the end goal for them to just get through that 6th inning.

P2 had a piece today that seemed to imply that the Marte thing looks like an oblique, which would be bad, and he'll have to sit for some time. That is bad news. I really hope that they bring up Bostick or Meadows, injecting some young blood into the lineup can provide a spark at times, and I could really see a guy like Bostick coming up and surprising.
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

7845425845422C0 wrote: You could tell Taillon was having trouble controlling the curve, but still gutted it out (swinging bunt away from going six). 

Good but not great work from the pen today. Congrats to Santana for his first career win (I think he joins Rodriguez and Kingham in the “first career win in 18” club).

While the offense wasn’t great, it was enough.  Great clutch hitting by Bell in the seventh.

The Pirates can hold serve with good teams if they keep tearing up the bad ones.

I'll take good every time. 3.1 IP 3 H, no runs, no walks

Edited to make highlight more legible.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Why was there no AT&T TV coverage for today's game? I can understand when there's a conflict with a Pens game (kind of), but what local event could possibly usurp an MLB game on a regional sports network?
Quail

Post by Quail »

516C727F707A71537B6C7D7B7A1E0 wrote: So the big issue to start the year was the bullpen, I remember at the time that I was more more concerned about position players continuing to perform. If there is one thing that the management braintrust has been able to do, it's piece together a good bullpen. Crick and Santana have emerged as reliable middle relief guys and Feliz and Vazquez as back end guys.

Going forward, the relative weakness of the rotation is hedged by the deep bullpen. The rotation has trouble going deep in games and it's still really the end goal for them to just get through that 6th inning.

P2 had a piece today that seemed to imply that the Marte thing looks like an oblique, which would be bad, and he'll have to sit for some time. That is bad news. I really hope that they bring up Bostick or Meadows, injecting some young blood into the lineup can provide a spark at times, and I could really see a guy like Bostick coming up and surprising.

If Marte is going to be out for an extended time I'd also like to see one of Meadows or Bostick get a shot in CF. I fear though that with JHay returning soon that we'll see SRod and Frazier (both played in CF today) in a sort of platoon situation with Frazier starting against right hand pitching and SRod coming in late for defensive purposes.