2017 Draft thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CTBucco

2017 Draft thread

Post by CTBucco »

082E2F382E3E4D0 wrote: Steven Jennings, a right-handed pitcher from DeKalb County High School in Tennessee, second round and 42nd overall pick in the draft.

Calvin Mitchell, an outfielder from Rancho Bernardo High School in California, 50th overall pick.

Three picks and three high school kids -- very un-Pirate like.

Mitchell rated 79 best prospect on MLB.com but need to take those ratings with a grain of salt.

Here is his write up:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017/?list=draft

Based on his performance this spring, Mitchell might not be a top three rounds candidate, which could mean he might be headed to the University of San Diego. But because there's some history and a track record of previous success, a team that feels they can get Mitchell back to where he was last summer could roll the dice that early.

So, maybe they think they can save a few bucks on Mitchell to make sure Jennings or Uselton (Comp B pick) sign. I'm more concerned about the Uselton pick as the slot is <$1M. I don't believe the comp round picks are protected, so I hope the FO knows he'll sign. MLB had him at #46. BA had him lower.
Tintin

2017 Draft thread

Post by Tintin »

5C4B5D6A7C7C701F0 wrote: Steven Jennings, a right-handed pitcher from DeKalb County High School in Tennessee, second round and 42nd overall pick in the draft.

Calvin Mitchell, an outfielder from Rancho Bernardo High School in California, 50th overall pick.

Mitchell rated 79 best prospect on MLB.com but need to take those ratings with a grain of salt.

Here is his write up:

Based on his performance this spring, Mitchell might not be a top three rounds candidate, which could mean he might be headed to the University of San Diego. But because there's some history and a track record of previous success, a team that feels they can get Mitchell back to where he was last summer could roll the dice that early.

So, maybe they think they can save a few bucks on Mitchell to make sure Jennings or Uselton (Comp B pick) sign.  I'm more concerned about the Uselton pick as the slot is <$1M.  I don't believe the comp round picks are protected, so I hope the FO knows he'll sign.  MLB had him at #46.  BA had him lower.

Jennings needs to be signed or we lose the pick. I'm assuming he's an easy slot sign. I'm going to guess that Mitchell was picked and he will be sacrificed so that his slot money could go to Baz (if Baz is a tough sign as speculated).

I think Baz will sign for 4 and change.

SammyKhalifa

2017 Draft thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

675A5D475A5D330 wrote:

I'm going to guess that Mitchell was picked and he will be sacrificed so that his slot money could go to Baz (if Baz is a tough sign as speculated).

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2017/6/13/157 ... rence-call

I don't know, but it doesn't sound like someone that's not going to sign to me.
johnfluharty

2017 Draft thread

Post by johnfluharty »

063B3C263B3C520 wrote: Steven Jennings, a right-handed pitcher from DeKalb County High School in Tennessee, second round and 42nd overall pick in the draft.

Here is his write up:

So, maybe they think they can save a few bucks on Mitchell to make sure Jennings or Uselton (Comp B pick) sign.  I'm more concerned about the Uselton pick as the slot is <$1M.  I don't believe the comp round picks are protected, so I hope the FO knows he'll sign.  MLB had him at #46.  BA had him lower.

Jennings needs to be signed or we lose the pick.  I'm assuming he's an easy slot sign.  I'm going to guess that Mitchell was picked and he will be sacrificed so that his slot money could go to Baz (if Baz is a tough sign as speculated).

If you fail to sign someone, you lose the slot money. You have to sign someone for less than slot to be able to use the extra money for someone else.
johnfluharty

2017 Draft thread

Post by johnfluharty »

1C2E22223604272E2326292E4F0 wrote:

I'm going to guess that Mitchell was picked and he will be sacrificed so that his slot money could go to Baz (if Baz is a tough sign as speculated).

http://www.bucsdugout.com/2017/6/13/157 ... rence-call

I don't know, but it doesn't sound like someone that's not going to sign to me.

It really sounds like the Bucs have developed quite a reputation. His reasons for choosing TCU was the development staff and coaching, but then he says the Bucs have one of if not the best development system in baseball. I think he'll sign.

dmetz

2017 Draft thread

Post by dmetz »

Prep-HS arms early is just disappointing to me because of how far away all these kids are.  We've had some huge, huge BOMBs with prep pitchers early and really not much success at all. Entire draft classes of NHs have washed out with prep pitchers

There's Taillon.   is there really anyone else?   Mitch Keller is in A+ ball.  The fact that there's almost nobody and we've gone heavy on prep pitchers several times now is disappointing.  

I have no idea who is good and who isn't, but we can be reasonably sure these guys aren't going to sniff the big leagues until ~2022 -2023 and then there's always the adjustment period for pitchers.  I'd rather see a HS position player, but we've not had any real success with that either.

So yeah.  I would like CLOSER guys to be used with top picks and prep guys be used later. If there's anything baseball people should be learning from the steady and regular failure of their "can't miss" prospects, it's that baseball people don't know much. Nobody knows much.

It's even more impossible to know with 18 year olds. Throwing value slots at that hail mary is bad strategy imo
dogknot17@yahoo.co

2017 Draft thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Huntington and the Pirates haven't been worried about signing guys. They seem to take the best player available. It was rumored that Alvarez and Appel would be tough signings and that didn't stop the Pirates from drafting them.

Money talks. I hope Baz signs. I didn't follow the draft too much this year. I was hoping McKay would go #1 overall just because he is a local-ish kid.
SammyKhalifa

2017 Draft thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I had seen a few draft "experts" say that the Pirates would pick Baz. Not liking or disliking the pick, but that's pretty impressive for people to guess that correctly considering we were in the middle of the round.
SammyKhalifa

2017 Draft thread

Post by SammyKhalifa »

79707869671D0 wrote: Prep-HS arms early is just disappointing to me because of how far away all these kids are.  We've had some huge, huge BOMBs with prep pitchers early and really not much success at all.  Entire draft classes of NHs have washed out with prep pitchers

There's Taillon.   is there really anyone else?   Mitch Keller is in A+ ball.   The fact that there's almost nobody and we've gone heavy on prep pitchers several times now is disappointing.     

I have no idea who is good and who isn't, but we can be reasonably sure these guys aren't going to sniff the big leagues until ~2022 -2023 and then there's always the adjustment period for pitchers.  I'd rather see a HS position player, but we've not had any real success with that either.

So yeah.  I would like CLOSER guys to be used with top picks and prep guys be used later.   If there's anything baseball people should be learning from the steady and regular failure of their "can't miss" prospects, it's that baseball people don't know much.   Nobody knows much. 

It's even more impossible to know with 18 year olds.   Throwing value slots at that hail mary is bad strategy imo

Yeah, I don't know. They do seem to wash out more but they also seem harder to get down the road. I sure wouldn't be sad if they loaded up on bats though.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

2017 Draft thread

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I think all pitchers can be a crap shoot. College pitchers are often over used. High School pitchers are over used and face less talented players. Teams need to rely on old school scouting and not just stats.

It is bad to miss on first rounders first time through the draft. Those picks should be known with higher expectations.