Trib article on Pirate finances.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

The Pirates have 19 arbitration eligible players.

I'm guessing the majority of those increases will be paid by an Archer buyout.

I think 2021 is the reset button for the financial end of things. IDK how things will work out with Vazquez, not sure how that works legally, but I'm thinking the Pirates are off the hook with him.

That's why I feel they will get rid of Polanco, even if they have to pay 90 percent of his salary to make it happen. If they can't we'll be stuck with him, because I feel they will pay his 11 million this year and then do the 3 million buyout for 2022. Otherwise, I believe they are on the hook for his entire contract if he's flat out released this year.

I just don't see the Pirates doing much financially until they are rid of Polanco's contract.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I dont see the Pirates doing much, period.  Wish I did. 

I heard on MLBNR that MLB lost $3b this year.

You know that BOB will claim that the Bucs lost 2.9 of it.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

614C41505746511112230 wrote: https://triblive.com/sports/bucco-baseb ... and-sense/

Much of what was written in the article pretty much confirms what's been said by members of this and other message boards. The fans are pretty in tune as to why the Pirates have failed, especially over the past five years.

But I found this tidbit quite interesting: "According to the website Baseball Reference, in 2018, every team received $118 million in revenue sharing and another $91 million from national revenues. Still, the Pirates’ payroll was $91 million that year." Which means Nutting collected $209 million just by being the owner of an MLB franchise, risk-free. And that was just in 2018. He's been taking in similar amounts every other year, too.

I understand he has expenses other than payroll, but $209 million makes for a nice head start toward paying those bills, and doesn't take into account other revenue streams he has. All of which means to me that there's really no excuse for not having been a more serious player in the free agent market.

The Pirates failures begin with Nutting. They were compounded by very poor drafting and/or player development by Huntington and his staff. Sadly, Nutting's still here, leaving our hope in the hands of Cherington.
BenM

Post by BenM »

When the Pirates' representative started talking about non-payroll expenses, I was genuinely surprised he didn't mention the money invested in our world renown Dominican academy.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

One thing that Nutting did was in the scouting and development side. He had Rene Gayo doing the international side of the scouting and he was a damn crook. I wonder if Luis Heredia was good as Gayo said he was? Then comes the development side. Again, Heredia is an example of poor development. Nobody in the organization took the kid aside and told him to get his fat butt in shape. Then they decided to work on his pitching and forgot to teach to his strengths. Finally, there is Glasnow who the Bucs staff forced him to pitch their way and not to his strengths. They built him up as a can't miss guy and forgot about his confidence when he first found MLB a problem. As good as he is he still is only a 2 pitch pitcher. Both the Bucs and Rays have missed with him as a top of the rotation starter. I think he is now best suited to be a closer.

I hope that BOB gives BC some leeway to hire guys who can scout and develop. If not then I would BOB to stick his team and his ego up where the sun don't shine.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm so sick of this lame Draft & Develop excuse for focusing on every last Podunk town's team EXCEPT for the Pittsburgh Pirates because BOB's such a stingy b-tard that I wish MLB did the smart thing and eliminate minor league affiliations altogether.

If I had my way, there would be one centralized farm system and teams would draft from college, international leagues, and it.

Maybe then, the FO in Pittsburgh would focus on....the Pirates for a change.

We'd still be cheap. We'd still be incompetent. But, maybe we'd stop this constant can kicking and getting nowhere fast.
shedman

Post by shedman »

5E6B7C7C774E7C7C77707C190 wrote: I'm so sick of this lame Draft & Develop excuse for focusing on every last Podunk town's team EXCEPT for the Pittsburgh Pirates because BOB's such a stingy b-tard that I wish MLB did the smart thing and eliminate minor league affiliations altogether.

If I had my way, there would be one centralized farm system and teams would draft from college, international leagues, and it.

We'd still be cheap.  We'd still be incompetent.  But, maybe we'd stop this constant can kicking and getting nowhere fast.
________

Post of the Day!!!
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

4F545958515D523C0 wrote: I'm so sick of this lame Draft & Develop excuse for focusing on every last Podunk town's team EXCEPT for the Pittsburgh Pirates because BOB's such a stingy b-tard that I wish MLB did the smart thing and eliminate minor league affiliations altogether.

We'd still be cheap.  We'd still be incompetent.  But, maybe we'd stop this constant can kicking and getting nowhere fast.
________

Post of the Day!!!

Now I would go along with that idea!
Javy

Post by Javy »

Here's a thought:

With Steve Cohen set to be approved by MLB to purchase the Mets, that will knock Nutting down a peg on MLB billionaire list, and out of the top 10 of the wealthiest owners.

Wonder if he'll order more payroll cuts to help gain back his standing in the top 10?

There is reportedly one strong 'nay' vote against Cohen...it's probably Bob