Jordan Luplow to be recalled

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

According to P2 Luplow is only a fair OF. I would think from what they say that he has been and OF most of his career he can hold his own. If he hits for the power he has shown this season his fielding deficiencies will not be a problem. He did give it a shot at 3B with the Pirates a yr or so ago. Seems he is more of a 4th OF who can actually play the position with some skill.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

6F4E466F444C2B0 wrote: According to P2 Luplow is only a fair OF.  I would think from what they say that he has been and OF most of his career he can hold his own.  If he hits for the power he has shown this season his fielding deficiencies will not be a problem.  He did give it a shot at 3B with the Pirates a yr or so ago.  Seems he is more of a 4th OF who can actually play the position with some skill.

A fair defender in the outfielder will look great compared to the way the outfield has played out there this season.

I thought going into the year the Bucs could have the best defensive outfield in baseball or at least top 3 and have been shocked by the misplays.
RichD

Post by RichD »

:D

I was thinking he would get a few more weeks in AAA.

Luplow is on a tear, wont hurt to see what he can do.

I just think it about time we get that late season call up guy who just mashes the hell out of the ball. And provides some boost to eveyone one else. The feel good story type thing.

Garrett Jones gave us that kick when he first came up few years back.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

For a non-subscription view of Luplow:

http://rumbunter.com/2017/07/27/pittsbu ... an-luplow/
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

He will be the 2nd Luplow to play in MLB. I remember Al Luplow, who has a good rookie season with the Indians in 1962 but was a 1-year wonder whose career ended with the Pirates at age 28 in 1968. I don't believe there is any relation to the current prospect.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... al01.shtml
Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

Could mean that Osuna is going as he's completely blocked in Pittsburgh and can play 1B and DH in the AL.

I was just watching MLB and saw that Steve Pearce hit a walk off grand slam today. Announcer said Pearce was hitting .450 with runners in scoring position. :o
Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

I wrote this in the Luis Heredia thread earlier this month about Luplow

http://onlybucs.net/board/cgi-bin/onlyb ... 5918/11#11

I get to travel to Central PA a few times every summer for work. Went to 3 Curve @ Harrisburg games in June. Sat close, next to Curve dugout, 3 rows from field.

Luplow looks really good offensively. One defensive play he made was catching sinking line drive and throwing a perfect strike to 1B to double up the runner. Crowd gasped, that is how impressive it was. Th guy sitting a couple of seats from me was a scout from the Rockies and he shook his head a few times saying it was a great play.

Newman is a very good fielder and the bat looks a lot less impressive than games I saw him in last year. Kramer may end up being better - the broken hand will set him back some but he was making solid contact.

Connor Joe was struggling but Jerrick Suiter could surprise to the upside. Best player, other than Lupow was Mathisen.

We're going out to Altoona for 5 games in a couple of weeks then a 3 game set over Labor Day (have to get my AL TUNA fix)
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5B74636274687A72110 wrote: Could mean that Osuna is going as he's completely blocked in Pittsburgh and can play 1B and DH in the AL.

I was just watching MLB and saw that Steve Pearce hit a walk off grand slam today. Announcer said Pearce was hitting .450 with runners in scoring position.  :o
I really like Osuna but, as you say, he's blocked by Bell and he clearly has no business in the OF. He could be a trade chip.
RichD

Post by RichD »

4D627574627E6C64070 wrote: I wrote this in the Luis Heredia thread earlier this month about Luplow

http://onlybucs.net/board/cgi-bin/onlyb ... 5918/11#11

I get to travel to Central PA a few times every summer for work. Went to 3 Curve @ Harrisburg games in June. Sat close, next to Curve dugout, 3 rows from field.

Luplow looks really good offensively. One defensive play he made was catching  sinking line drive and throwing a perfect strike to 1B to double up the runner. Crowd gasped, that is how impressive it was. Th guy sitting a couple of seats from me was a scout from the Rockies and he shook his head a few times saying it was a great play.

Newman is a very good fielder and the bat looks a lot less impressive than games I saw him in last year. Kramer may end up being better - the broken hand will set him back some but he was making solid contact.

Connor Joe was struggling but Jerrick Suiter could surprise to the upside. Best player, other than Lupow was Mathisen.

We're going out to Altoona for 5 games in a couple of weeks then a 3 game set over Labor Day (have to get my AL TUNA fix)

I feel Tucker is the SS for the future and Newman could be trade bait next year .
Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

I feel Tucker is the SS for the future and Newman could be trade bait next year .

could be, heading back out for Labor Day games, hope Cole is playing