Doug Fister anyone

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Doug Fister anyone

Post by BucsFaninGA »

What does the board think of NH going after Doug Fister? I know he was highly thought of a couple years ago. Think the Nats are going to let him walk. He certainly is not a #1 or 2 starter, but could fit nicely in the back of the rotation. Plus he used to have a knack for getting groundouts.

Thoughts? :D

Beat'em Bucs

UtahPirate

Doug Fister anyone

Post by UtahPirate »

In the reclamation project thread, I threw his name out there as a guy I thought might get the Buc's attention. But most of that discussion has moved passed potential reclamation names.

I worry about the length of contract. But if we could get him for 3 and a club option for 4, he might fit. I think GMs are worried about potential 4 and 5 year albatross contracts (and NH more than most). Nova at 5 years made me gasp. That's just crazy given his spotty track record. If Fister gets 4 guaranteed, he won't be a Pirate.
Ecbucs

Doug Fister anyone

Post by Ecbucs »

he earned 7 million with Astros this past season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... do01.shtml

I could see the Pirates being interested in him.
Quail

Doug Fister anyone

Post by Quail »

There are certainly worse free agent starters out there than Fister. Anyone have any insights as to why his performance has been down the last two years? Injury? I don't much like the fact that his control has gotten a lot worse, but he put together four consecutive solid years when he was younger.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Doug Fister anyone

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I always liked Fister. I don't know why he got worse the last two years, but he should be on the Pirates radar.

Fister did take a four million dollar pay cut last year, so maybe he isn't all about that money?
dave3BA

Doug Fister anyone

Post by dave3BA »

I believe Fister has experienced quite a velocity decline the last few seasons. No thanks, he's heading toward Jered Weaver territory.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Doug Fister anyone

Part of me liked the Nicasio approach. Just part of me.

He throws hard and had some success in the bullpen. Why not see if he can start? I understood that approach, even though it didn't work.

The other part of me thinks Bullpen Pitchers are failed Starters. There is a reason they are in the Bullpen.

It just stinks there aren't many good free agent pitchers out there. The Pirates really missed the boat last year.
Bobster21

Doug Fister anyone

Post by Bobster21 »

58535B575253480D0B7C455D545353125F533C0 wrote: Part of me liked the Nicasio approach.  Just part of me.

He throws hard and had some success in the bullpen.  Why not see if he can start?  I understood that approach, even though it didn't work.

The other part of me thinks Bullpen Pitchers are failed Starters.  There is a reason they are in the Bullpen.

It just stinks there aren't many good free agent pitchers out there.  The Pirates really missed the boat last year.
Agreed. Nicasio was acquired to be a long reliever. The problem was that they signed Vogelsong to start. Every fan knew that was a bad idea and we were right! And that necessitated Nicasio having to be used in a different role. Eventually he went back to the bullpen where he belonged.
Tintin

Doug Fister anyone

Post by Tintin »

4A4F584B1D6C6F2E0 wrote: I believe Fister has experienced quite a velocity decline the last few seasons. No thanks, he's heading toward Jered Weaver territory.

He's throwing like 85 now. I'll pass on this.

I think Uncle Ray likes the guys who throw 97 with control issues.

It's hard to work with 85.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Doug Fister anyone

0D30372D3037590 wrote: I believe Fister has experienced quite a velocity decline the last few seasons. No thanks, he's heading toward Jered Weaver territory.

He's throwing like 85 now.  I'll pass on this.

I think Uncle Ray likes the guys who throw 97 with control issues.

It's hard to work with 85.

Wow. I don't want him now. 85?