Shelby Miller of D'Backs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Shelby Miller of D'Backs

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Saw on the Bucsdugout site where Shelby Miller might be a target for the Pirates this offseason. He had some good years with Redbirds and was very good with the Braves, before deal last winter to D-Backs. What does the board think about Shelby Miller as a Bucco in 2017?

Beat'em Bucs 8-)

Bucs Gan in GA
Bobster21

Shelby Miller of D'Backs

Post by Bobster21 »

0F382E3E0B2C2324230A0C4D0 wrote: Saw on the Bucsdugout site where Shelby Miller might be a target for the Pirates this offseason. He had some good years with Redbirds and was very good with the Braves, before deal last winter to D-Backs. What does the board think about Shelby Miller as a Bucco in 2017?

Beat'em Bucs 8-)

Bucs Gan in GA
Interesting. A premier pitcher until September 2015 when 3 of his 6 starts were poor and it carried over into a disastrous 2016. However, he gave up no runs in either of his final 2 starts this season so maybe he finally figured things out at the very end. So trading for him would be risky because they wouldn't know which Shelby Miller they were getting. One is worth a lot and the other is worth nothing. From D-Backs' POV, it's probably better to hang onto him and see if he has returned to form rather than get little in return for him and then possibly see him become an All-Star again with someone else. So given his past success, it would probably take more to get him than we might expect for someone coming off such a bad season.
Ecbucs

Shelby Miller of D'Backs

Post by Ecbucs »

416C61707766713132030 wrote: Saw on the Bucsdugout site where Shelby Miller might be a target for the Pirates this offseason. He had some good years with Redbirds and was very good with the Braves, before deal last winter to D-Backs. What does the board think about Shelby Miller as a Bucco in 2017?

Beat'em Bucs 8-)

Bucs Gan in GA
Interesting. A premier pitcher until September 2015 when 3 of his 6 starts were poor and it carried over into a disastrous 2016. However, he gave up no runs in either of his final 2 starts this season so maybe he finally figured things out at the very end. So trading for him would be risky because they wouldn't know which Shelby Miller they were getting. One is worth a lot and the other is worth nothing. From D-Backs' POV, it's probably better to hang onto him and see if he has returned to form rather than get little in return for him and then possibly see him become an All-Star again with someone else. So given his past success, it would probably take more to get him than we might expect for someone coming off such a bad season.   

Bobster are you sure about this? Maybe he is the D-Backs Liriano. I bet we have scouts looking at the D-Backs prospects now. Here is potential deal:

Pirates get Miller and a prospect that is in D-Back's top ten

Arizona gets Jeff Locke and salary relief.
Bobster21

Shelby Miller of D'Backs

Post by Bobster21 »

567071667060130 wrote: Saw on the Bucsdugout site where Shelby Miller might be a target for the Pirates this offseason. He had some good years with Redbirds and was very good with the Braves, before deal last winter to D-Backs. What does the board think about Shelby Miller as a Bucco in 2017?

Beat'em Bucs 8-)

Bucs Gan in GA

Bobster are you sure about this?  Maybe he is the D-Backs Liriano.  I bet we have scouts looking at the D-Backs prospects now.  Here is potential deal:

Miller is arb eligible now. He made 4.3 mil last year and is coming off a disastrous season. Locke is also arb eligible, is coming off a poor but better season than Miller, and could get a comparable amount. So salary relief doesn't appear to be a big factor. IMHO, there's no GM on this planet (unless Dave Littlefield is a GM again) who would trade Miller AND a top 10 prospect for Locke. Considering Miller's last 2 games this year, I believe AZ will either hold onto him to see if he rebounds next year or trade him for a better player(s) or prospects than moist teams would want to give considering Miller may not rebound.
SCBucco

Shelby Miller of D'Backs

Post by SCBucco »

163031263020530 wrote: Saw on the Bucsdugout site where Shelby Miller might be a target for the Pirates this offseason. He had some good years with Redbirds and was very good with the Braves, before deal last winter to D-Backs. What does the board think about Shelby Miller as a Bucco in 2017?

Beat'em Bucs 8-)

Bucs Gan in GA

Bobster are you sure about this?  Maybe he is the D-Backs Liriano.  I bet we have scouts looking at the D-Backs prospects now.  Here is potential deal:

There is zero chance Arizona would even consider that and if said GM did, he should be canned. Miller still has upside. Locke is trash and why on earth would Arizona have any interest in trash and have to add a prospect to trash to get Miller who still could return to form. They hold onto him.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Shelby Miller of D'Backs

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I'm pretty sure it was a joke and mocking the Liriano trade.
Bobster21

Shelby Miller of D'Backs

Post by Bobster21 »

252E262A2F2E357076013820292E2E6F222E410 wrote: I'm pretty sure it was a joke and mocking the Liriano trade.
Hey, you're probably right. :) That would be a similar scenario. Funny though, how we see what a ridiculous deal that would be but the Pirates made such a deal.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Shelby Miller of D'Backs

I do think Hutchison will be better than Locke.

It was a weird trade, but it didn't bother me as mush as it bothered others.  McGuire is far away from being a starter.  Ramirez might pan out.  Hutchison is young and has had success.  Liriano was terrible and developed an attitude.

No team wants Jeff Locke in a trade when he will be released.
Bobster21

Shelby Miller of D'Backs

Post by Bobster21 »

While his 13-5 record in 2015 might give the impression of success, his 5.57 ERA and 179 hits in 150 innings that year says otherwise. Blue Jays averaged 7 runs a game for his 13 wins. In 8 of his 18 starts that year he lasted less than 5 innings. Toronto wasn't fooled. A year later they had him back in the minors.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Shelby Miller of D'Backs

133E33222534236360510 wrote: While his 13-5 record in 2015 might give the impression of success, his 5.57 ERA and 179 hits in 150 innings that year says otherwise. Blue Jays averaged 7 runs a game for his 13 wins. In 8 of his 18 starts that year he lasted less than 5 innings. Toronto wasn't fooled. A year later they had him back in the minors.

I know we will find out. Huntington likes those pitchers who keep the ball down and have that nasty slider. I trust he saw something in Hutchison.

I could be wrong. And Liriano could easily bounce back, but his time in Pittsburgh seemed done.

I really liked the reports on McGuire, but he isn't really improving. He is hitting the same and has no power. Ramirez is still young and years away.