Joe Maddon's upcoming book

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Excerpt from Joe Maddon's book, coming out next week:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/10/06/joe-m ... ok-excerpt

I think the excerpt is likely very relevant to how Derek Shelton is viewed as manager. Basically, I'm doubtful if Shelton has significant leeway as to who plays or where they play. If Joe Maddon gets this level of instruction from the front office, you can imagine what Shelton gets.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

That's disturbing. >:(
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Not just disturbing Bobster. I just read the article and I had to put a nitro pill under my tongue.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I read a Maddon interview about this. Shelton is just one of many. Anyone catch the Phillies Cards game? Ollie Marmol went right by the plan, and pulls Quintana based upon "the plan".

I think it was Alex Rodriguez who made the comment, paraphrasing here," this is the playoffs. You can't manage the game five hours beforehand in the managers office"
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

0C2A2D38313D2A3C345F0 wrote: I read a Maddon interview about this. Shelton is just one of many. Anyone catch the Phillies Cards game? [highlight]Ollie Marmol went right by the plan[/highlight], and pulls Quintana based upon "the plan".

I think it was Alex Rodriguez who made the comment, paraphrasing here," this is the playoffs. You can't manage the game five hours beforehand in the managers office"

You're darn right he did. If not, he'd end up like Mike Shildt. Shildt was a career baseball man who understood fundamentals, strategies, people, and the nuances of baseball. You can't have that kind of independent thinking in the dugout.

This trend may explain why Shelton looks like a teflon, indifferent, zombie in our dugout.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

0C3F232221291F2239253E392824234D0 wrote: Excerpt from Joe Maddon's book, coming out next week:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/10/06/joe-m ... ok-excerpt

I think the excerpt is likely very relevant to how Derek Shelton is viewed as manager. Basically, I'm doubtful if Shelton has significant leeway as to who plays or where they play. If Joe Maddon gets this level of instruction from the front office, you can imagine what Shelton gets.

Evidently, some people were too busy deleting my posts to consider what I was telling them was the truth. It's all on Shelton. The guy's an imbecile. He should tell Cherington where to go.

Next up? An article from some former announcer to give the inside scoop on what goes on behind thosescenes. ;)