Bucs move up on MLB/Callis' mid season rankings

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

I admit the declaration that one guy is a prospect and another never gets that tag but ends up a contributor at the MLB level never makes much sense to me. But there's a whole blogger industry surrounding the Prospect count now-a-days (and I guess we all buy into at some degree). But in all the formulas out there how do we lose Rameriz and McGuire and move up a list right after?

4. Pittsburgh Pirates

Preseason Top 10 rank: No. 8

Prospects on Top 100: 6

The Pirates' system took a slight hit when they sacrificed catcher Reese McGuire and outfielder Harold Ramirez to shed Francisco Liriano's salary. Still, no team has four better prospects than right-hander Tyler Glasnow (No. 10), outfielder Austin Meadows (No. 12), first baseman Josh Bell (No. 27) and righty Jameson Taillon (No. 28). Shortstop Kevin Newman (No. 51), righty Mitch Keller (No. 87) and third baseman Ke'Bryan Hayes are Pittsburgh's next wave.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/193317666 ... m-systems/
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1D3C292018213A293C2D480 wrote:

The Pirates' system took a slight hit when they sacrificed catcher Reese McGuire and outfielder Harold Ramirez to shed Francisco Liriano's salary. Still, no team has four better prospects than right-hander Tyler Glasnow (No. 10), outfielder Austin Meadows (No. 12), first baseman Josh Bell (No. 27) and righty Jameson Taillon (No. 28). Shortstop Kevin Newman (No. 51), righty Mitch Keller (No. 87) and third baseman Ke'Bryan Hayes are Pittsburgh's next wave.

Just think of the financial flexibility they can gain by giving all those guys away! ;D
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4F6E7B724A73687B6E7F1A0 wrote: I admit the declaration that one guy is a prospect and another never gets that tag but ends up a contributor at the MLB level never makes much sense to me. But there's a whole blogger industry surrounding the Prospect count now-a-days (and I guess we all buy into at some degree). But in all the formulas out there how do we lose Rameriz and McGuire and move up a list right after?

4. Pittsburgh Pirates

Preseason Top 10 rank: No. 8

Prospects on Top 100: 6

It looks to me having Taillon, Bell and Glasnow still on it is a big help. Fortunately, they along with Meadows have improved their stock (Glasnow maybe stayed the same).
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

there have been alot of guys stepping up this year. so I would think the rankings are reflective of depth the farm has in the outfield, starting pitching, bullpen in the upper levels

RichD

Post by RichD »

We do not have any bats down low besides Newman . AAA is a joke except Bell and (and the always hurt) "Chipper Jones" Meadows .

Jury out on the #1 Craig.

We are top heavy with Glasnow/ Bell and the other names you know .

Down in lower levels looks pretty bleak to me.
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

lower level bats are not a strength, but luckily it looks like our positions at the MLB level are pretty much solidified for the next 3-6+ years at most positions with our contracts and the names we've heard of in the high levels.

other names under AA that I look at are

Polo-he should be a top 100 prospect next year IMO

Hayes

Kramer

Mathisen

Munoz

Daniel Arribas
RichD

Post by RichD »

Arribas is like 24

Polo is real small and spent like 2 years in the same level.

Wyatt has zero power .

We do not have any bats down low.

ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

764D474C60240 wrote:

Polo is real small and spent like 2 years in the same level.

meh, he is an inch shorter and 5 lbs less than Cutch

with speed (29 sbs) and power (16 hrs) like a young cutch

and he spent like 1.25 years at A ball

in A+ at 21 years old, he is age appropriate

but who knows