A Frightening Statement

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

A Frightening Statement

Post by MaineBucs »

I periodically take a look at the team's Official Site. In reading an article in which the writer offered his predictions on the opening day roster I ran across this nugget regarding Tsutsugo and Vogelbach likely splitting time at first.

First baseman/designated hitter (2): Yoshi Tsutsugo, Daniel Vogelbach. ... "Tsutsugo is the better defender of the two, but Vogelbach will see time at first base as well."

I have seen Tsutsugo play first, as well as serving as a statute when the Bucs stuck him in both LF and RF. If Yoshi is the better defender of the two, if there are any fans seated along the RF line they should be thankful there is a net protecting them from any ball thrown to first.

Bobster21

A Frightening Statement

Post by Bobster21 »

Hopefully it won't be that bad. Yoshi doesn't seem very nimble around the bag but I think he can catch what's thrown to him. Which was more that Pedro Alvarez could do. It seemed like Pirate pitchers stopped making pickoff throws to hold batters close at 1B because too many of those throws got past Pedro.
GreenWeenie

A Frightening Statement

Post by GreenWeenie »

Ah, the good old days! ;D
Bobster21

A Frightening Statement

Post by Bobster21 »

1124333338013333383F33560 wrote: Ah, the good old days!   ;D
At least the throws Pedro missed at 1B usually didn't end up in the stands. When he played 3B, fans along the 1B line had to be ready to duck whenever he tried to throw to 1B. He had the yips throwing and the yips catching. Double yoi for double yips! ;D
GreenWeenie

A Frightening Statement

Post by GreenWeenie »

I have Pedro Alvarez Without The Home Runs for my first baseman.

Heck, Pedro Alvarez WITH The Home Runs was bad enough.

Good thing I'm in a restaurant. Don't want to be seen crying in public.

2drfischer@gmail.c

A Frightening Statement

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

012C21303726317172430 wrote: Ah, the good old days!   ;D
At least the throws Pedro missed at 1B usually didn't end up in the stands. When he played 3B, fans along the 1B line had to be ready to duck whenever he tried to throw to 1B. He had the yips throwing and the yips catching. Double yoi for double yips!   ;D

Pedro, and his career, would make for an interesting study. Before he was drafted, I don’t think there was anyone who thought he would be a bad pick. The excitement by the fans in Pittsburgh was off the charts. We all read how he was as hard a worker as anyone, that he wanted to succeed. He was going to be the guy who would fill that power void and had a good chance to be an All Star.

But it was hard for us fans to get to know him. He never opened himself up, we rarely read his thoughts in the media, or hardly ever even saw him speak. I think in spite of that, almost all of us still pulled for him.

With all of his talent, it’s curious as to why he was like a shooting star. He fell so quickly and was gone almost as fast. What was it? Was he not as good as most believed? Could he not adapt as the league found his weaknesses? We’re the expectations too much for him to deal with?

When so few guys have the chance to play in the major leagues, it’s a sad story to me when someone with so much promise gets there but then everything seems to go south for them.

WildwoodDave2

A Frightening Statement

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

184E584C435949424F586A4D474B434604492A0 wrote: Ah, the good old days!   ;D
At least the throws Pedro missed at 1B usually didn't end up in the stands. When he played 3B, fans along the 1B line had to be ready to duck whenever he tried to throw to 1B. He had the yips throwing and the yips catching. Double yoi for double yips!   ;D

Pedro, and his career, would make for an interesting study.  Before he was drafted, I don’t think there was anyone who thought he would be a bad pick.  The excitement by the fans in Pittsburgh was off the charts.  We all read how he was as hard a worker as anyone, that he wanted to succeed.  He was going to be the guy who would fill that power void and had a good chance to be an All Star.

But it was hard for us fans to get to know him.  He never opened himself up, we rarely read his thoughts in the media, or hardly ever even saw him speak.  I think in spite of that, almost all of us still pulled for him.

With all of his talent, it’s curious as to why he was like a shooting star.  He fell so quickly and was gone almost as fast.  What was it?  Was he not as good as most believed?  Could he not adapt as the league found his weaknesses?  We’re the expectations too much for him to deal with?

When so few guys have the chance to play in the major leagues, it’s a sad story to me when someone with so much promise gets there but then everything seems to go south for them.

I think the expectations have a lot to do with it. Some people just don't do well under pressure.
GreenWeenie

A Frightening Statement

Post by GreenWeenie »

Easy.  He got married.  ;)

Who knows?  The writers write.  The few articles I read said that folks fell in love with his power that they overlooked the shortcomings, thinking that they could be ironed out over time.  Huntingdon said that calling up Alvarez when he did was his biggest regret; that Alvarez needed more time in the minors. (May have been said before TAT.)

I won't bang on the Pirates for selecting him.  He surely would have gone right after the Pirates had they passed on him.  Add to it that, years later, he didn't fare very well with an AL team, the Orioles, where his defensive lapses can sometimes have been ignored as a DH.

Not every new attorney is a shining legal star/rainmaker.  Not every accounting graduate lights it up with a Big Four firm.  MLB is a very tough gig.  Not many last long enough to even qualify for FA.  He's one who didn't. 

If we could figure out which 18-to-22-year-olds were going to be the best of the best, we'd be able to live on a nice, big yacht in the middle of the Mediterranean, and live the life. 
Bobster21

A Frightening Statement

Post by Bobster21 »

207660747B61717A776052757F737B7E3C71120 wrote: Ah, the good old days!   ;D

Pedro, and his career, would make for an interesting study.  Before he was drafted, I don’t think there was anyone who thought he would be a bad pick.  The excitement by the fans in Pittsburgh was off the charts.  We all read how he was as hard a worker as anyone, that he wanted to succeed.  He was going to be the guy who would fill that power void and had a good chance to be an All Star.

But it was hard for us fans to get to know him.  He never opened himself up, we rarely read his thoughts in the media, or hardly ever even saw him speak.  I think in spite of that, almost all of us still pulled for him.

With all of his talent, it’s curious as to why he was like a shooting star.  He fell so quickly and was gone almost as fast.  What was it?  Was he not as good as most believed?  Could he not adapt as the league found his weaknesses?  We’re the expectations too much for him to deal with?

It began with the post draft signing process. He was considered the best power hitter in the draft; a franchise player with superstar potential. Some thought the Pirates would not draft him because Boras represented him. But they drafted him anyway and Boras immediately looked for a loophole to void the last second signing. As a rookie he was below average at 3B, capable of outstanding plays but also muffing routine plays. But since he was a rookie, it was hoped he would master the position. As a hitter, he had power but struck out frequently and did not hit for a high average. And while it was hoped he would mature as a hitter, that never changed. The power was always there but I can't recall ever seeing him hit a HR that wasn't a pitcher's mistake down the middle. His BA never improved, generally staying in the .230-.240 range. As long as pitchers avoided mistakes, Alvarez would get himself out.

And his fielding never got better; only worse. By 2014 he could no longer throw accurately from 3B. the problem was so consistent hat he was pulled out of the lineup in July. Moved to 1B in 2015, he suddenly couldn't catch. With no spot in the field where he wouldn't hurt them and unable to hit well enough to compensate for his poor defense, he was nontendered in 2016.

And other teams didn't seem very interested. The Orioles signed him but didn't want their DHs to be one dimensional. They tried to rehabilitate him at 3B but the experiment was a disaster. So he became a platoon DH. The next year he didn't even make the team. They put him in AAA to learn OF. That was another disaster. And as a hitter, he remained someone who could go deep if the pitcher made a mistake but otherwise contributed little offensively. When the Orioles released him, he signed with the Marlins but retired when he wasn't going to make the team.

It turned out that Alvarez was overrated from the start. Never a franchise player. Never an adequate fielder at any position. And a below average hitter with the power to turn mistakes around. The pre-draft hype hurt his career. There have been plenty of players who were poor fielders and could hit for power but not average. But no one expected them to be franchise players. Alvarez didn't seem to have the ability to live up to expectations. Maybe that messed with his head. Something seemed to when he lost his ability to throw or catch. Since the Pirates were the only team that invested an early 1st round pick in him, other teams only saw him for what he had proven to be, while the Pirates had always harbored grand expectations. He just couldn't perform well enough to motivate other teams to have patience with him.
Ecbucs

A Frightening Statement

Post by Ecbucs »

1A373A2B2C3D2A6A69580 wrote: Ah, the good old days!   ;D

It began with the post draft signing process. He was considered the best power hitter in the draft; a franchise player with superstar potential. Some thought the Pirates would not draft him because Boras represented him. But they drafted him anyway and Boras immediately looked for a loophole to void the last second signing. As a rookie he was below average at 3B, capable of outstanding plays but also muffing routine plays. But since he was a rookie, it was hoped he would master the position. As a hitter, he had power but struck out frequently and did not hit for a high average. And while it was hoped he would mature as a hitter, that never changed. The power was always there but I can't recall ever seeing him hit a HR that wasn't a pitcher's mistake down the middle. His BA never improved, generally staying in the .230-.240 range. As long as pitchers avoided mistakes, Alvarez would get himself out.

And his fielding never got better; only worse. By 2014 he could no longer throw accurately from 3B. the problem was so consistent hat he was pulled out of the lineup in July. Moved to 1B in 2015, he suddenly couldn't catch. With no spot in the field where he wouldn't hurt them and unable to hit well enough to compensate for his poor defense, he was nontendered in 2016.

And other teams didn't seem very interested. The Orioles signed him but didn't want their DHs to be one dimensional. They tried to rehabilitate him at 3B but the experiment was a disaster. So he became a platoon DH. The next year he didn't even make the team. They put him in AAA to learn OF. That was another disaster. And as a hitter, he remained someone who could go deep if the pitcher made a mistake but otherwise contributed little offensively. When the Orioles released him, he signed with the Marlins but retired when he wasn't going to make the team.

It turned out that Alvarez was overrated from the start. Never a franchise player. Never an adequate fielder at any position. And a below average hitter with the power to turn mistakes around. The pre-draft hype hurt his career. There have been plenty of players who were poor fielders and could hit for power but not average. But no one expected them to be franchise players. Alvarez didn't seem to have the ability to live up to expectations. Maybe that messed with his head. Something seemed to when he lost his ability to throw or catch. Since the Pirates were the only team that invested an early 1st round pick in him, other teams only saw him for what he had proven to be, while the Pirates had always harbored grand expectations. He just couldn't perform well enough to motivate other teams to have patience with him.

The only player taken in the first round that signed and had a better career than Pedro was Posey. Erik Hosmer has had a longer career but signed a contract that makes him an albatross for whatever team that rosters him.

Unfortunately, when Pedro got to the majors he was not able to improve and actually declined. I was pretty excited when the Bucs drafted him (and the Rays passed and took Tim Beckham). I count him as a good pick for the Pirates even though it turned out he wasn't the second best player in that draft.