Rookie of the Year:

AL: Randy Arozarena, Rays; Wander Franco Rays; Luis Garcia, Astros

NL: Dylan Carlson, Cards; Jonathan India, Reds; Trevor Rogers, Marlins

Manager of the Year:

AL: Dusty Baker, Astros; Kevin Cash, Rays; Scott Servais, Marlins

NL: Craig Counsell, Brewers; Gabe Kapler, Giants; Mike Shildt, Cardinals

Cy Young:

AL: Gerrit Cole, Yankees; Lance Lynn, White Sox; Robbie Ray, Blue Jays

NL: Corbin Burnes, Brewers; Max Scherzer, Nationals/Dodgers; Zack Wheeler, Phillies

MVP:

AL: Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Blue Jays; Shohei Ohtani, Angels; Marcus Semien, Blue Jays

NL: Bryce Harper, Phillies; Juan Soto, Nationals; Fernando Tatis Jr., Padres
Surgnbuck

Post season awards, who do you got?

Post by Surgnbuck »

I have a lot of different ways of looking at this.

For ROY, a guy winning it who played in the 2020 WS would be cool with Arozarena. Garcia winning it would just make some people's heads explode because he's an Astro. But I like Wander Franco for the AL simply because I think he might be the actual AL MVP. For the NL ROY, I have to go with India because of the three of them, he seemed to stick out in my mind as the one who positively tortured the Pirates.

For MOY, Dusty Baker getting it would be a way for MLB to kind of soften all the cheating Astros stuff because he's supposedly all beloved, but I never liked that tooth pick chewing a-hole since his Cincy days, and if he were to win it, I'd love to show up banging a trash can (Astros reference, get it?) shouting "Cueto!". I think Kevin Cash overmanaged last year's WS, but he did a great job this year until his team didn't look ready for Boston. So I want to go with Servais because his team didn't make the playoffs, getting eliminated on the last day, and after the Mariners had been counted out as having not "gone for it" at the trade deadline.

In the NL, hands down, I want Shildt, simply because he was fired, and I want to give him a red Swingline stapler. I mean, how awesome would that be? The Cardinals can't even have a day for him! Finally, a little rubbing their noses in it for the Boy Scouts of baseball. With Kapler, just too many "Welcome Back" references, way too old, and I'm still not getting how no one gets my Swingline stapler reference for Shildt. Counsell winning would make Doc mad, and that's like seeing Bruce Banner getting mad. You wouldn't like him when he gets mad.

For Cy Young, it has to be Gerrit Cole because we love nothing more than b*tching about our favorite all time Pittsburgh group, "Bob and the Bad Trades", and this would add another verse to the song. Sorry Lynn and Ray, you sound like a country duo when I write you together like that, and only one of you gets to make music for us.

In the NL, a guy who pitched for two different teams and has a different color eye for each one, that's my guy, so I go with Mad Max. Wheeler would just get booed in Philly if he won, and that would make me sad, and sadness is bad. If Burnes won, see "You don't want to see Doc mad" above.

The biggie of them all, the MVP, with this list of finalists, has removed the argument: "His team didn't even make the playoffs."  I mean, when I saw that list, I was thinking, "I wonder if Yoshi had a shot then."

So the NL has the solo HR King, the King of Bling, and that other guy. So I'm going with Soto, because he just might be the most normal looking candidate of the entire bunch, along with Lynn and Ray. And Pirates fans can say things like, "That's because Bell hit behind him" so we can have another sing along round with "Bob and the Bad Trades". Also, of all the MVP candidates, the Nationals finished with the worst team record, and by finishing in last place, having the MVP on a last place team is just so Andre Dawson, and I have a signed baseball from him on an official 2006 All Star game baseball from PNC Park, so that would make me happy, and I like happy better than sad (see somewhere above).

In the AL, due to the current political climate with everything being about bad stuff, and I don't like bad any better than mad,  I'm going with Ohtani, whose team had the second worse record of all the MVP candidates, and that would make fans of those bad teams happy, and, well you know. The other guys were team mates, and sure you would hear "I'm so proud of my team mate" but you just know they'd be saying, "I was better than him." And that would be sad. And if it were Semien, he may not even be on the team next year, so he might be wandering the planet like Doc looking for a stapler.

Or something like that.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

A good case can be made for all of the guys involved in all of the awards but, the one choice I think is most clear for me is Gabe Kapler for NL Manager of the Year. No one picked the Giants to do well in that division and they ended up with the best record in baseball. Amazing job.

The choice between Ohtani and Guerrero for AL MVP is really interesting. In my mind, Ohtani was the best baseball player in the league, but Guerrero was the most valuable to his team.
2drfischer@gmail.c

4C6A6D78717D6A7C741F0 wrote: I have a lot of different ways of looking at this.

For ROY, a guy winning it who played in the 2020 WS would be cool with Arozarena. Garcia winning it would just make some people's heads explode because he's an Astro. But I like Wander Franco for the AL simply because I think he might be the actual AL MVP. For the NL ROY, I have to go with India because of the three of them, he seemed to stick out in my mind as the one who positively tortured the Pirates.

For MOY, Dusty Baker getting it would be a way for MLB to kind of soften all the cheating Astros stuff because he's supposedly all beloved, but I never liked that tooth pick chewing a-hole since his Cincy days, and if he were to win it, I'd love to show up banging a trash can (Astros reference, get it?) shouting "Cueto!". I think Kevin Cash overmanaged last year's WS, but he did a great job this year until his team didn't look ready for Boston. So I want to go with Servais because his team didn't make the playoffs, getting eliminated on the last day, and after the Mariners had been counted out as having not "gone for it" at the trade deadline.

In the NL, hands down, I want Shildt, simply because he was fired, and I want to give him a red Swingline stapler. I mean, how awesome would that be? The Cardinals can't even have a day for him! Finally, a little rubbing their noses in it for the Boy Scouts of baseball. With Kapler, just too many "Welcome Back" references, way too old, and I'm still not getting how no one gets my Swingline stapler reference for Shildt. Counsell winning would make Doc mad, and that's like seeing Bruce Banner getting mad. You wouldn't like him when he gets mad.

For Cy Young, it has to be Gerrit Cole because we love nothing more than b*tching about our favorite all time Pittsburgh group, "Bob and the Bad Trades", and this would add another verse to the song. Sorry Lynn and Ray, you sound like a country duo when I write you together like that, and only one of you gets to make music for us.

In the NL, a guy who pitched for two different teams and has a different color eye for each one, that's my guy, so I go with Mad Max. Wheeler would just get booed in Philly if he won, and that would make me sad, and sadness is bad. If Burnes won, see "You don't want to see Doc mad" above.

The biggie of them all, the MVP, with this list of finalists, has removed the argument: "His team didn't even make the playoffs."  I mean, when I saw that list, I was thinking, "I wonder if Yoshi had a shot then."

So the NL has the solo HR King, the King of Bling, and that other guy. So I'm going with Soto, because he just might be the most normal looking candidate of the entire bunch, along with Lynn and Ray. And Pirates fans can say things like, "That's because Bell hit behind him" so we can have another sing along round with "Bob and the Bad Trades". Also, of all the MVP candidates, the Nationals finished with the worst team record, and by finishing in last place, having the MVP on a last place team is just so Andre Dawson, and I have a signed baseball from him on an official 2006 All Star game baseball from PNC Park, so that would make me happy, and I like happy better than sad (see somewhere above).

In the AL, due to the current political climate with everything being about bad stuff, and I don't like bad any better than mad,  I'm going with Ohtani, whose team had the second worse record of all the MVP candidates, and that would make fans of those bad teams happy, and, well you know. The other guys were team mates, and sure you would hear "I'm so proud of my team mate" but you just know they'd be saying, "I was better than him." And that would be sad. And if it were Semien, he may not even be on the team next year, so he might be wandering the planet like Doc looking for a stapler.

Or something like that.

Who's Bruce Banner?
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

He's the guy who becomes the Incredible Hulk when he's angered.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Is the Swingline stapler an Office Space reference?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

1345534748524249445361464C40484D0F42210 wrote: A good case can be made for all of the guys involved in all of the awards but, the one choice I think is most clear for me is Gabe Kapler for NL Manager of the Year.  No one picked the Giants to do well in that division and they ended up with the best record in baseball.  Amazing job.

Here here. Kapler- how can I phrase this?- was a little on the [highlight]unpopular [/highlight]side in Philadelphia. There were reasons; some warranted, some maybe not. I was surprised that the Giants gave him his shot as soon as they did. A change of scenery (maybe FO, maybe roster, maybe his approach, who knows?) must have helped. He would be my choice.

The choice between Ohtani and Guerrero for AL MVP is really interesting.  In my mind, Ohtani was the best baseball player in the league, but Guerrero was the most valuable to his team.

Also agree. I wonder if it's possible that voters will split votes here enough that would allow another to slide in?
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

4A48525442270 wrote: Is the Swingline stapler an Office Space reference?
Yes...Shildt with those glasses bears quite the resemblance to Milton.
2drfischer@gmail.c

14323520292532242C470 wrote: He's  the guy who becomes the Incredible Hulk when he's  angered.

Well, at least I know who the Incredible Hulk is, so there's that.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

3D6B7D69667C6C676A7D4F68626E6663216C0F0 wrote: He's  the guy who becomes the Incredible Hulk when he's  angered.

Well, at least I know who the Incredible Hulk is, so there's that.

You are half right. Lou Ferrigno was the guy who played the Incredible Hulk.