Austin Meadows

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Leyland1948

Austin Meadows

Post by Leyland1948 »

Do we trade him at the trade deadline or keep him for centerfield next year and trade one of the three we have now over the winter?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Austin Meadows

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I don't think the Pirates should trade him or trade a current outfielder in the winter.

Meadows probably won't be ready to start the season with the Pirates in 2017. McCutchen is having a bad year and his value will be at an all time low.

Tough call, but I would hate to lose any of the top four outfielders entering 2017.
SammyKhalifa

Austin Meadows

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah I would wait and see. No hurry. Isn't Meadows still hurt anyhow?
fjk090852-7

Austin Meadows

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am on the fence, but if Meadows could get them Chris Archer I might pull the trigger on that trade. Archer is under contract for several years, and he would give the Bucs a very solid pitcher behind Cole. Cole, Archer, Liriano, Taillon, and Glasnow a decent group of 5 starters.
PMike

Austin Meadows

Post by PMike »

343839626B626A67607F65520 wrote: I am on the fence, but if Meadows could get them Chris Archer I might pull the trigger on that trade. Archer is under contract for several years, and he would give the Bucs a very solid pitcher behind Cole. Cole, Archer, Liriano, Taillon, and Glasnow a decent group of 5 starters.

I agree. I think he could be a centerpiece for a trade for a cost controlled SP. Archer is one. Teheran is another.

McCutchen is very down right now and it would be a horrible time to trade him. That being said, would you trade Marte or Polanco? It would seem that you would get a huge haul from one of those two. Though it would also deter anyone from signing a long term contract through arbitration and FA years with the Pirates if they flip them early in the deal.
iwatch

Austin Meadows

Post by iwatch »

Trading Meadows for Archer or Teheran would be flat out stupid. Right nose have Cole, Taillon, Liriano, Kuhl, Brault, and Glasnow available. Use those resources instead of trading a terrific hitting prospect for a guy who is not appreciably better than what we have chomping at the bit in Indy.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Austin Meadows

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

6C715557593C0 wrote: I am on the fence, but if Meadows could get them Chris Archer I might pull the trigger on that trade. Archer is under contract for several years, and he would give the Bucs a very solid pitcher behind Cole. Cole, Archer, Liriano, Taillon, and Glasnow a decent group of 5 starters.

I agree.  I think he could be a centerpiece for a trade for a cost controlled SP.  Archer is one.  Teheran is another.

McCutchen is very down right now and it would be a horrible time to trade him.  That being said, would you trade Marte or Polanco?  It would seem that you would get a huge haul from one of those two.  Though it would also deter anyone from signing a long term contract through arbitration and FA years with the Pirates if they flip them early in the deal.

No, I would not trade Marte or Polanco.
ScottinMass

Austin Meadows

Post by ScottinMass »

I agree with some, no way do I trade Meadows. If healthy (and I know it's an if), he looks to be a big time player. I will take him in the lineup 156 times a year vs. a SP giving us 28-32 starts.

The Pirates have been developing pitching to carry them for the next 4-6 years, and they have a number of guys who look to fill those roles. No need to trade your best hitting prospect for another SP. Just my opinion.
MaineBucs

Austin Meadows

Post by MaineBucs »

I would not trade Meadows for Archer or any of the other cost controlled names being bandied about. Meadows has risen to a similar level of Glasnow and is a major building block for the future.

Although I repeatedly advocated trading Polanco this past winter for Carasco, I would not consider trading either Polanco or Marte at this point, even for a pitcher as valuable as Carasco.

The outfielder I would consider trading is McCutchen. I value (bow down) to McCutchen for all that he has down to help right this franchise. That said, the Pirates need to be prepared to move on, and Marte, Polanco and Meadows present the team an advantageous position from which to make moves.

Wrathchild

Austin Meadows

Post by Wrathchild »

637D6B7E69620A0 wrote: Trading Meadows for Archer or Teheran would be flat out stupid. Right nose have Cole, Taillon, Liriano, Kuhl, Brault, and Glasnow available. Use those resources instead of trading a terrific hitting prospect for a guy who is not appreciably better than what we have chomping at the bit in Indy.

It's not stupid to think trading Meadows for Archer or Teheran is a good use of resources even though it's also reasonable to not want that trade. We can't use four outfielders. And until Kuhl, Brault and even Glasnow put up a string of 120 ERA+ seasons, it's not particularly helpful to the analysis to say we have guys that are just as good. I don't know if Meadows gets you those guys or how much has to be added, but it's a discussion worth having. Our rotation doesn't appear to be constructed in a fashion to get to and win a world series this year. Until last night, Liriano had gone from a guy we could match up with a playoff team's two to a guy that won't see the mound in a playoff game. If you want to focus on 2020, that's cool, but, in my opinion, the 2016 window is closing unless Liriano somehow found it over the break and we can ignore his first 17 or whatever starts.