Pirates acquire Brentz

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by CarolinaBucco »

The Pirates out there wheelin' and dealin' ... as per usual.

They just acquired Bryce Brentz from the Red Sox, in exchange for cash (shocking). He is 29.

Brentz hit 31 HR last year at AAA Pawtucker and from what I can tell was in line to be the Red Sox's 4th OF this year until they acquired Martinez.

So maybe this guy could / possibly / maybe / hopefully help by being a legitimate LF candidate or 4th OF.

Either that, or he has an injury that the Pirates don't know about and he'll complain about a sore knee later this week and that will be that.

Hey, at least they did SOMETHING.

SCBucco

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by SCBucco »

042635282B2E29260532242428470 wrote: The Pirates out there wheelin' and dealin' ... as per usual.

They just acquired Bryce Brentz from the Red Sox, in exchange for cash (shocking). He is 29.

Brentz hit 31 HR last year at AAA Pawtucker and from what I can tell was in line to be the Red Sox's 4th OF this year until they acquired Martinez.

So maybe this guy could / possibly / maybe / hopefully help by being a legitimate LF candidate or 4th OF.

Either that, or he has an injury that the Pirates don't know about and he'll complain about a sore knee later this week and that will be that.

Hey, at least they did SOMETHING.

A move to make us title contenders without question ... a 29-year old rookie.
NJBucsFan

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by NJBucsFan »

Great minds post alike! Or something.

If you're gonna dumpster dive anyway, he seems like a decent lottery ticket. Here's more info on him:

https://soxsphere.com/2018/02/14/for-br ... ty-is-now/
CarolinaBucco

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by CarolinaBucco »

From a Red Sox site:

This was the positive analysis of Brentz. The negative, of course, was the fact that he did this as a 28-year-old in his 5th season of AAA ball. Anyway, here it is:

First, we’ll start with all of the reasons that Brentz is a good fit for the fourth outfielder role on this Red Sox team. The most obvious one is that the dude can mash, and when he’s right he can hit for plenty of power. In 2017, he hit 31 home runs for Pawtucket and finished the season with a .258 Isolated Power. To make matters even better, he hits from the right side. The Red Sox essentially need a right-handed counterpart to Andrew Benintendi and Jackie Bradley Jr. Neither of those guys need to be part of a strict platoon, but both are well-served to get some days off with southpaws on the mound. Brentz doesn’t just hit from the right side, either, but he destroys lefties. In 2017, he hit .279/.380/.577 against left-handed pitching. Brentz isn’t great defensively, but that’s not a huge concern when the Red Sox employ three outstanding defensive outfielders.
fjk090852-7

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by fjk090852-7 »

4F4B4374627247606F010 wrote: Great minds post alike! Or something.

If you're gonna dumpster dive anyway, he seems like a decent lottery ticket. Here's more info on him:

https://soxsphere.com/2018/02/14/for-br ... ty-is-now/
From the attached article it appears Brentz could be a decent platoon partner with Frazier. Between the two I would take 18 homers and about 85 rbi. That would make up for some of the lost production from Cutch.
SCBucco

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by SCBucco »

5F7D6E737075727D5E697F7F731C0 wrote: From a Red Sox site:

This was the positive analysis of Brentz. The negative, of course, was the fact that he did this as a 28-year-old in his 5th season of AAA ball. Anyway, here it is:

First, we’ll start with all of the reasons that Brentz is a good fit for the fourth outfielder role on this Red Sox team. The most obvious one is that the dude can mash, and when he’s right he can hit for plenty of power. In 2017, he hit 31 home runs for Pawtucket and finished the season with a .258 Isolated Power. To make matters even better, he hits from the right side. The Red Sox essentially need a right-handed counterpart to Andrew Benintendi and Jackie Bradley Jr. Neither of those guys need to be part of a strict platoon, but both are well-served to get some days off with southpaws on the mound. Brentz doesn’t just hit from the right side, either, but he destroys lefties. In 2017, he hit .279/.380/.577 against left-handed pitching. Brentz isn’t great defensively, but that’s not a huge concern when the Red Sox employ three outstanding defensive outfielders.

When he is right he can mash, but has that robust .258 average in AAA ball. Isn't great defensively, so he would be a great options as a 4th OF? Sounds like he is more a DH to me.
SammyKhalifa

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by SammyKhalifa »

AAAA
CarolinaBucco

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I'm just excited the Pirates DID SOMETHING ... as insignificant as it may be. At least they have a pulse.
fjk090852-7

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am not too concerned about his age, because if you refer back to Pirate history Bill Robinson was acquired in 1975 at age 32. He was another guy who spent a number of years in the minors, and he became an important piece for the Bucs in the late 1970’s. I would sign up for that same type of production from Brentz.
Bobster21

Pirates acquire Brentz

Post by Bobster21 »

Nothing wrong with taking a flier on this guy. 31 HRs in AAA last year and hit .271 although his career AAA BA is just .254. If Frazier is in LF I don't know that he needs a platoon partner as he has thus far hit .338 vs LHP. But as a 4th OFer, they may prefer to start the year with Luplow getting regular ABs at AAA rather than sporadic starts. After all, Luplow has only 254 ABs at AA and 160 ABs at AAA so sitting on the bench might hurt his development. But they need a LH bat on the bench. Especially if Frazier is usually starting. Nava is a switch hitter who can't hit LH pitching (career .211). Right now the only other option is Moroff who switch hits. And he's not a lock to make the team. Bench so far has Freese, Rodriguez, Diaz and 2 of Nava, Brentz, Luplow and Moroff.

If anything, I see this acquisition as bad news for Nava. Nava can't be considered an adequate LH option off the bench, which may mean Moroff has to be that guy. If so, it leaves 1 spot for Luplow (who probably benefits from AAA time), Nava (who essentially becomes a RH hitting 4th OFer with little power) or Brentz as a RH hitting 4th OFer with power.