A Bench Player the Bucs Should Attempt to Sign

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It appears the five man bench may already be set with Stewart, Jaso, Frazier,Freese, and Hanson since he is out of options. A veteran player who has not yet signed for this season is Daniel Descalso. He is 30 years old and has played all infield positions. He has post season experience and could be the type of player Matt Joyce was for the Bucs last season. You could sign him to a contract which would not exceed the budget.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I think the bench needs a power bat that can play the outfield.

I am not sure if there is room, as the five guys you mentioned seem like locks to make the team. I guess Frazier can go to the minors and maybe Jaso will not make the team. Other than those moves, I don't know what will happen.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

If we didn't have Frazier and Hanson on the roster, he'd make a nice bench piece.

I agree with Dog. If we are going to upgrade the bench, a bat like Joyce's would be what we should target - a 4th OFer with pop.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

If Kang's status is uncertain, Freese would not be on the bench, which would leave an opening. And if Kang is playing, then Freese is the backup at 1B and 3B which makes Jaso superfluous. IMHO, Jaso serves little purpose. Not good defensively off the bench. Little power to PH. I would upgrade that spot if possible.
wtmjkj@verizon.net

Post by wtmjkj@verizon.net »

I think there's at least a moderate chance the Pirates will add somebody late, like they did last year with Freese and Joyce. Kang is almost certainly going to be suspended, it's just a question of how long. If they add somebody, it'll probably be an infielder.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

60637A7D7C7D576172657E6D787939797263170 wrote: I think there's at least a moderate chance the Pirates will add somebody late, like they did last year with Freese and Joyce.  Kang is almost certainly going to be suspended, it's just a question of how long.  If they add somebody, it'll probably be an infielder.

What is Kang being suspended for? He would be the first for a DUI. Unless you mean the Pirates will suspend him? That is rare too. I'm sure the Union would step in.
wtmjkj@verizon.net

Post by wtmjkj@verizon.net »

343F373B3E3F246167102931383F3F7E333F500 wrote: I think there's at least a moderate chance the Pirates will add somebody late, like they did last year with Freese and Joyce.  Kang is almost certainly going to be suspended, it's just a question of how long.  If they add somebody, it'll probably be an infielder.

What is Kang being suspended for?  He would be the first for a DUI. Unless you mean the Pirates will suspend him? That is rare too. I'm sure the Union would step in.

Three DUIs, not one. And he lied to the police.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I would guess there is an immigration problem (or at least potential one) for Kang as well. Around here we are hearing there's a new state department policy that says any foreign student with criminal issues who leaves the country will not be readmitted until they reapply and are approved. If President Trump follows through with his statements, that is only likely to get more seriously enforced. There may well be a professional athlete's exemption to the rule, or immigration officials may ignore foreign convictions, but (assuming he avoids jail in Korea) there are enough hurdles that I wouldn't necessarily pencil in Kang as the starter.