Power hungry, win starved

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

INbuc

Post by INbuc »

In today’s game thread I asked the question where will the future power come from? For this purpose, let’s look two years out, be aggressive, and maybe even unrealistic.

C -- Henry Davis: He should provide both power and decent average.

1B – Matt Gorski: Led the minors in HR with 23 at the time he was injured.

2B – Make a choice. Gonzales would be the short-term hope. But he may never beat out a slew of others in the system. Johnson is more than 2 years out. Anyone will add more than Newman.

SS – Cruz will provide power either here or in RF. Peguero could be a 20 HR guy.

3B – Hayes will probably be here – will his power?

LF – We can only hope Suwinski finds consistency. 30+HR doesn’t seem like a stretch from what we have seen.

CF – Keep Reynolds. He is good for 25-30 HR … besides being a damn good player all-around.

RF – Cruz. Though his play at SS has been better than I thought, I think 30 HR and the OF are in his future.

This lineup has power potential like we’ve rarely seen in Pittsburgh. Gorski maybe a stretch at this point, but he has everyone’s attention. If Gonzales stalls, you still have guys like Bae or Castillo who could play. At SS, I enjoyed watching Peguero earlier this year. He’ll be back. This OF should be solid.

That leaves Hayes. In 2015, Kevin Newman and he were selected about a dozen picks apart in the first round. Newman got to Pitt first, and in his first full year in 2019, he hit .308 with 12 HR and 16 SB in 493 AB. In the in the 776 AB since, Newman has hit .229 with 6 HR and 8 SB.

Hayes arrived during the 2020 Covid year. In 85 AB, he hit .376 with 5 HR (one per 17AB). In 21-22, Hayes is 179 for 705 (.254) with 10 HR. His 2020 pace was unsustainable, but now he only hits a HR every 70 at bats.

Both Hayes and Newman are very good defenders, but Newman’s days are numbered. The Bucs are committed to Hayes. Let's hope he matures as a hitter and develops the power with it. Who knows, we all may end up disillusioned as the next few years pass, but I can't remember being this optimistic about our power potential and how it will hopefully allow us to get back to post season ball.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Maybe we can throw in a Shackelford as a bench guy that can play all over and hit with power.

I have had doubts on Hayes hitting from the start.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Suwinski hit a GS in the 1st inn tonight.

Marcano/Bae, why aren`t both in Pitt? They can play all over the field, and get valuable AB`s. :-/
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I don't think Hayes is ever going to be a great hitter but could see him being close to 280 with 15-20 homers. Hoping he can get his average in that range this season with at least 3 or 4 more homers and then add some more power next season.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

It's not unheard of for a guy like Hayes to develop more power in his late 20s. He's got room to fill out still.
maher.timothy20@gm

It would also be nice if they added at least one solid veteran outfielder and pitcher (dare to dream).

None of Gorski, Mitchell, Swaggerty, Suwinski, Smith-Njiba etc. is guaranteed to stick long-term in the majors, and even if they do it might be 2027 before they hit their prime.

And the rotation is light. Contreras, Keller and ???

Priester might come up but he'll surely have growing pains.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

78747D70673B617C787A617D6C2725557278150 wrote: It would also be nice if they added at least one solid veteran outfielder and pitcher (dare to dream).

None of Gorski, Mitchell, Swaggerty, Suwinski, Smith-Njiba etc. is guaranteed to stick long-term in the majors, and even if they do it might be 2027 before they hit their prime.

I still like Brubaker. He is 28 and I think he can be better. He

doesn't seem to get much run support. Actually, not too many do >:(
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

0B3530382B333338183D2A396E5C0 wrote: It would also be nice if they added at least one solid veteran outfielder and pitcher (dare to dream).

I still like Brubaker. He is 28 and I think he can be better. He

doesn't seem to get much run support. Actually, not too many do >:(
His ERA is3.96 and has 101 K's in 100 innings pitched. Has to cut down on home runs
maher.timothy20@gm

Even if you include Brubaker in the mix we need a AJ Burnett-type guy as well.

I hear Joe Musgrove will be a free agent!
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

While I know he was just signed this year to a multi-year deal, and partly to become the face of the franchise, an approach the Bucs could consider to increase the amount of power would be to explore trading Hayes and to move Cruz to 3rd.

To date, Hayes has shown little to suggest that his offense will prove adequate for a 3rd baseman; little to no HR power, moderate doubles production (only 24 extra base hits in 343 at bats), and a mediocre BA and OBP, including a 221 average against RH pitchers. He also is very susceptible to chasing the outside pitch; lots of swings and misses. While his defense is highly rated, his defensive prowess alone is not enough to make up for a lack of offense.

Cruz appears to have the attributes to play 3rd. Strong arm, quick reflexes, and the experience of having played SS. Clearly, Cruz is a work in progress on offense, but his power is undeniable. Bucs would also need to send him to San Diego to speak to Manny Machado regarding how he adjusted to a similar move.

If the goal is to field a team with more power, shifting Cruz to 3rd seems like a natural move.

Endy Rodriguez and Henry Davis could both see time at catcher, first, and DH.

An outfield that has some combination of Reynolds, Suwinski, Mitchell, Madris, Bae, and Swaggerty should produce reasonable power, with folks occasionally seeing time at DH.

Peguero at SS, should produce more home runs than Hayes, and some combo of Gonzalez/Castillo/Bae/Marcano at 2nd should feature some decent hitters with a modicum of power.

I am encouraged that Madris is being tried at first (although Mitchell may be the better candidate), and Bucs should get Castillo more reps there this off-season. Castillo has been all but forgotten (amount of playing time) since Newman came off the IL and Cruz was brought to the majors. Castillo clearly has warts, but it appears that he could be a good platoon bat with some pop at a minimum.

I am not suggesting that the Bucs run out and trade Hayes tomorrow (it also has been encouraging to see that the Bucs are giving Cruz an extended run), but if his offense doesn't pick up through the rest of the season, I believe it is a move that the team needs to be open to.