Pirates Finances

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Roberto218

Pirates Finances

Post by Roberto218 »

Looking back at valuations, Forbes established Bucs revenue for 2016 at $244 million, and a profit in excess of $30 million. Average ticket price is $22, and revenues from tickets at about $53 million. With a new TV contract coming next year, it would help the Bucs negotiate a better deal to have a good year this year. Pirates TV ratings have been among the best in baseball. TV is where the Bucs have the best chance to significantly increase revenues. The bottom line is sign Nova, keep Cutch, invest in a winning club and revenues will grow. If the Pirates signed Happ last instead of paying for Niese, there would have been better results, better attendance and better ratings in August and September.
IABucFan

Pirates Finances

Post by IABucFan »

Agreed.
Bobster21

Pirates Finances

Post by Bobster21 »

7C414C4B5C5A411C1F162E0 wrote: Looking back at valuations, Forbes established Bucs revenue for 2016 at $244 million, and a profit in excess of $30 million. Average ticket price is $22, and revenues from tickets at about $53 million. With a new TV contract coming next year, it would help the Bucs negotiate a better deal to have a good year this year. Pirates TV ratings have been among the best in baseball. TV is where the Bucs have the best chance to significantly increase revenues. The bottom line is sign Nova, keep Cutch, invest in a winning club and revenues will grow. If the Pirates signed Happ last instead of paying for Niese, there would have been better results, better attendance and better ratings in August and September. 
It makes sense to say that if they spend more money to improve the team, profits will follow. But they seem to take the opposite approach, if even that. First we got the empty words during the 20 year losing streak that more would be spent when the team became competitive. Then it was changed to say they would spend more after fan attendance increased. In other words, they would not increase spending until after profits increased. Then, once they became both competitive and with franchise record attendance, they sought to reduce spending rather than increase it. Barring a dramatic change in their MO, this organization has frustrated their fan base with empty words and disregard for their loyal fans and cannot be trusted.
OrlandoMerced

Pirates Finances

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I believe TV ratings have very little to do with the contracts, it's based almost exclusively on market size.  I don't believe at this time, advertisers are breaking the bank to do add spots in Pittsburgh.

I saw that Forbes figure yesterday, I think those are estimates right?
Roberto218

Pirates Finances

Post by Roberto218 »

Actually, Pittsburgh is a middle sized television market, with top 5 television ratings, percentage wise. The Dodgers who have a huge market, have low ratings, and as I recall, the Bucs have about the same viewership.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Pirates Finances

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Penguins crush the Pirates on Root Sports. The Pirates get bumped a lot due to the Penguins.
Roberto218

Pirates Finances

Post by Roberto218 »

Wrong. Bucs rating is 7.61. Penguins rating is 5.87. Bucs get bumped during playoffs.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Pirates Finances

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

122F222532342F727178400 wrote: Wrong. Bucs rating is 7.61. Penguins rating is 5.87. Bucs get bumped during playoffs.

My friend, who works for Root, told me differently. This was before the 2016 season. I complained because Penguin games were being aired over the early Pirates games in April. He said the Penguins get better ratings.

Do the Penguin games get more advertising money?
SammyKhalifa

Pirates Finances

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6954595E494F54090A033B0 wrote: Actually, Pittsburgh is a middle sized television market, with top 5 television ratings, percentage wise. The Dodgers who have a huge market, have low ratings, and as I recall, the Bucs have about the same viewership.

But I assume they get a chunk from everyone in LA that pays for a cable subscription, whether they watch the games or not.
Roberto218

Pirates Finances

Post by Roberto218 »

The numbers I have seen are $7-8.3 billion over 25 years!