Yankee Series Trip, Brew Pubs, and Sightseeing

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

Driving 489 miles from Schenectady Thursday to catch the Yankee Series with some buddies. Staying at the Spring Hill Suites right across the street from PNC. Hope to get to the Penn Brewery Thursday night for dinner--also to Hofbrauhaus on south side for a lunch. Anybody try the new Southern Tier Brewpub or have other suggestions? Carnegie Natural History Museum is on the agenda. I am glad that the Yanks are hot right now, because they are due for a slump!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The North Shore right by the ballpark is jumping. Southern Tier is good (food, beer) but also gets packed. Its very small. Beer Garden has a huge selection of beers which is on Federal Street.

I prefer Church Brew Works over Penn Brewery. Good food, better atmosphere.

Downtown is booming for restaurants too. Penn Ave is great with Bakersfield, Emporio, and Sharp's Edge. So much good food in town depending on your price range.

You are at the best Hotel for location too. You can walk right into downtown across from the Clemente Bridge.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

If your looking for brewpubs, you should go out to Millvale and hit Grist House and Draii Laag.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Church is a cooler building but the beer at Penn is better.  I like them both.  If you're up to doing some traveling there are number of breweries opening that are interesting. 

Oh, also there's this:

http://pittsburghcraftbeerweek.com/

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Church Brew Works is like praying to the beer gods when you walk down the aisle to the alter of beer kettles.
PMike

Post by PMike »

If you are looking for world class beer, head down to Braddock to Brew Gentlemen. They focus on hazy IPAs and are killing it. Great food trucks every day/night. From there you can head over to the Homestead for more food and Voodoo brewing. They, too, are world class.

I agree with Orlando, the Lawrenceville, Millvale, Sharpsburg area is really becoming great for food/beer. Dancing Gnome is in Sharpsburg and is a fantastic newcomer to the beer scene.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Roberto218. Just a quick thought that will make your journey to sample the beers of Pittsburgh is:

Do Not Pull a Kang!!!

Suggest you walk, take a cab, Uber, bus but do not drive in a strange city and Pittsburgh is not easy to get around in. It is harder than NYC, LA, SF, Chicago. I know I have driven in all of them.

So enjoy your journey to the Burgh and follow my suggestion about the beer journey.

Now that I have talked to you like a dad to his son on his 21st birthday I apologize if I have hurt your feeling. Just want to make sure that you can make it back to the Burgh for future Bucco games.
Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

Thanks for the tips on pubs We always use a designated driver and if we are having more than 2, we will stay close to the hotel!
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

So glad to hear about the designated driver and willingness to walk instead of driving.

Please enjoy your stay in the Burgh and bring some Pirates wins with you.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Where you are staying has a bar with very good food: Soho.

I was just down there yesterday and Local Brew House is open now caddy corner from your hotel and across from PNC Park. The name sounds like they might have some good beer selections. Right next door is Beer Garden - they have everything.