What could they do to change your mind?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Speedloader88

Post by Speedloader88 »

My offseason bias:

I wanted Cole gone.  I soured on him in 2014.  My dislike for him only worsened as time went along.

McCuthen was awesome.  I loved this guy on and off the field.  That said, I didn't hate that he was traded. 

My take:  I didn't hate those two trades but what I don't like is that I have "0" interest in any portion of the return. It feels like we had a huge opportunity to get better and didn't. 

Question:  What could they still add (or who) that could turn this offseason around for you?

My want:  Had they traded Cole and McCutchen and brought back very solid prospects (3rd base especially) AND then traded for Yelich, that would have turned it all around for me and I would have been interested in going to the park.  That didn't happen.  I am now interested in finding out if you think there is a free agent acquisition or trade that is still out there that makes things all better?
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am disappointed that they traded Cutch, but I would feel a little better if they would sign a decent free agent outfielder such as John Jay. I am sure such a signing will not get them into the postseason, but I would hope they don’t go into this season without having a fourth outfielder like they did last season.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I want them to go all the way. They’re clearly rebuilding, so trade Harrison and trade Cervelli. Tearing down half the team isn’t going to do anything by tread water. Trade Harrison, trade Cervelli. I’d shop Marte, too. Then have a good June draft, use our international money, find the next Altuve. This is a 75 win team. If you can’t win 90, might as well win 60.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

6D4E5B5B5A52515F5A5B4C06063E0 wrote:  

Question:  What could they still add (or who) that could turn this offseason around for you?

If we add a few more Justin Meccages, I think we'll be looking really good.

The answer is always, "more pitching coaches, because Ray Searage is so great, that he needs help."
mouse

Post by mouse »

I would like to see a legit fourth outfielder. I suspect they are settled on Luplow (or Frazier), but it would be nice to see someone with experience to take over center. (I see Marte as more a left-fielder).
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I would like them to add an experienced 4th OFer. Someone who's been productive at the MLB level. But I would also like to hear the BMTIB discuss how they feel they have addressed the needs of the team and be specific about what they expect from the starting rotation, bullpen, inf, OF, catching, bench. I'm tired of hearing them discuss financial flexibility and years of control. That saves money but doesn't win games on the field. I want to know they are seriously addressing the needs of the team and not just the wallet of the owner.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

604D40515647501013220 wrote: I want to know they are seriously addressing the needs of the team and not just the wallet of the owner.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I don't think this one will go your way.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4C6C7F62630D0 wrote: I want to know they are seriously addressing the needs of the team and not just the wallet of the owner.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I don't think this one will go your way.
Ya think? :)
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Todd Frazier <---  this is it for me.   

Colin Moran can play OF/3b/1b and from the looks of his minor league stat sheet, he's equally pedestrian at all 3 of them defensively.   If Moran's "launch angle revolution  ;D" is legit, he can slide right into the OF with Marte and Polanco. hehe  Launch angle revolution?  how can this even be taken seriously?

"guys, guys...I have some profound news!   If you swing upwards or for the fence, you will hit more flyballs!!! and secondly...*you're not going to believe this*   flyballs go over the fence more than linedrives and grounders!!"come on ::)   

Though that's CLEARLY worse than bloggers today talking about how NOW all of the sudden the idea of a window of opportunity is something profoundly new!    again, come on...

Other teams have been rebuilding and then deficit spending to push a championship since Jim Leyland and the Florida Marlins.   

These aren't anything new.  They're recycled ideas.   It's all just different variations of excuse making.  Mental gymnastics.    

Just wait until Searage fixes all these guys!!  lol
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I've been going to Pirate games and have been a fan for so long I have been accused of seeing Honus Wagner play. Not that long though.

I've seen some really great teams, great players, great managers, but only one great GM, one Joe L. Brown. I have also seen some really crappy teams, crappy players, lousy managers, and GMs. In my years only the Galbreath family was the best owner and then the Pittsburgh Partnership who bought the team from the Galbreath family and had Carl Barger as President was real good until Barger moved on to Tampa or Miami, I can't remember which.

So what could current ownership do to change my mind. Well my mind has never changed. Im too darn old to start rooting for some other MLB team so I seem to be stuck with the BMTIB for now.

With the way the economics of MLB is set up and the powers that be in the Commissioner's Office I see not hope for "Small Owneer" and "Small Market Cities" like we have here in Pittsburgh. And that is the problem I think.

What the Pirates need is a "Big and Brave Owner". One who will perhaps rebuild like the Astros did and the ChiSox are trying now. And when the teams begins to compete the "Big and Brave Owner" will not use the "Small Market City" as an excuse to not add to the rebuilding and near competitive team so that the team can and will win and continue to win for more than 3 years.

In the mean time I will still go to see the Bucs. But I wil not be going to as many games as I would like. Instead I will visit the WV Black Bears in Morgantown and the Curve in Altoona more than I will be in PNC.

My only advice for you younger guys who are Pirate fans is don't give up and please stop listening to all the talk shows that just repeat and make things worse in your mind. Also take the GM speak with a grain of salt. The team sucks but hey, you are a Pirate fan, keep the faith and I guarantee you that before you live this world you and/or your kids will see a WS winner. Beside, baseball is a wonderful game for dads and their kids to enjoy whenever.