Huntington interview

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Huntington interview

Post by Bobster21 »

When asked if they are planning as if Kang won't be with them, he said the acquisition of Rodriguez was made to compensate for Kang's loss. They feel Diaz can fill in adequately if Cervelli gets hurt. They are interested in impressing Ohtani on the idea of choosing the Pirates (and cited the "success" they had with Kang) and will continue to monitor the trade and free agent markets. Glasnow could begin the season in the bullpen.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/11/ ... superstar/
SammyKhalifa

Huntington interview

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Thanks. Not much new ground but I'm not sure what you'd expect him to say.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Huntington interview

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Huntington's answers were very GM like.

The Rodriguez comment was very discouraging, as that was my fear. Huntington did spin it as he wasn't supposed to play in 2017 and he hoped that wasn't the way he was trending (down).

Huntington did then say he will look at other options who would be better too. Like I said, very GM like. I am not sure if Rodriguez can duplicate his 2016 season. That's the big "if".
Bobster21

Huntington interview

Post by Bobster21 »

676C64686D6C773234437A626B6C6C2D606C030 wrote: Huntington's answers were very GM like. 

The Rodriguez comment was very discouraging, as that was my fear.  Huntington did spin it as he wasn't supposed to play in 2017 and he hoped that wasn't the way he was trending (down). 

Huntington did then say he will look at other options who would be better too.  Like I said, very GM like.  I am not sure if Rodriguez can duplicate his 2016 season.  That's the big "if".
Very true. Rodriguez is a 10-year veteran and 2016 was a career year. In fact, it was his only only better than average year. He'll be 33 in 2018. Counting on a repeat of his career year seems unrealistic.
SammyKhalifa

Huntington interview

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah I like him as UT but blah starting 3B every day
notes34

Huntington interview

Post by notes34 »

343F373B3E3F246167102931383F3F7E333F500 wrote: Huntington's answers were very GM like. 

The Rodriguez comment was very discouraging, as that was my fear.  Huntington did spin it as he wasn't supposed to play in 2017 and he hoped that wasn't the way he was trending (down). 

Huntington did then say he will look at other options who would be better too.  Like I said, very GM like.  I am not sure if Rodriguez can duplicate his 2016 season.  That's the big "if".
We were all just kidding ourselves to think that S-Rod wasn't Kang's replacement. From the day he was acquired NH had him penciled in at 3rd.
johnfluharty

Huntington interview

Post by johnfluharty »

55544F5E48080F3B0 wrote: Huntington's answers were very GM like. 

We were all just kidding ourselves to think that S-Rod wasn't Kang's replacement. From the day he was acquired NH had him penciled in at 3rd.

Penciled, yes.  Inked, no.  They will upgrade from S-Rod if they can within their budget.

CTBucco

Huntington interview

Post by CTBucco »

Sean and Freese will split 3rd. NH's comments make me think SRod may get more starts than Freese, but either way, the team isn't appreciably better. Gotta get one of those blocked prospects. Include Eppler or another AA/AAA starter that wasn't added to the roster with the (Bucs') top 10-15 prospect needed to make the deal. Or would a Nova/Kuhl/Williams be enough then backfill with a FA 5th starter type until Kingham or Glasnow or one of the others takes the spot.