Game Thread - 7/14 - Pirates @ Marlins

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

537572676E6275636B000 wrote: Crowe and Bednar, our two most reliable guys, shit the bed back to back games
If Bednar isn't 100% he should opt out of the AllStar Game- Could use the rest
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

This game was lost in the 7th inning with another embarrassing display of Pirate baseball. Runners at 1B and 3B and no outs. Vogelbach PHs and looks at a 3rd strike down the middle. Then Cruz tries to steal 2B but not part of a double steal with Marisnick at 3B. So Cruz is out and now it's 2 outs and Marisnick at 3B. Newman draws ball 4 on a check swing and Marisnick seems to think it was strike 3 and runs to the plate where he is tagged out to end the inning. They don't just play poorly, they play stupidly. But luckily for Shelton and the coaches, no one is accountable.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

654845545342551516270 wrote: This game was lost in the 7th inning with another embarrassing display of Pirate baseball. Runners at 1B and 3B and no outs. Vogelbach PHs and looks at a 3rd strike down the middle. Then Cruz tries to steal 2B but not part of a double steal with Marisnick at 3B. So Cruz is out and now it's 2 outs and Marisnick at 3B. Newman draws ball 4 on a check swing and Marisnick seems to think it was strike 3 and runs to the plate where he is tagged out to end the inning. They don't just play poorly, they play stupidly. But luckily for Shelton and the coaches, no one is accountable. 
How many times have you seen a player get a walk but

doesn't get to first place?
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

1E333E2F28392E6E6D5C0 wrote: This game was lost in the 7th inning with another embarrassing display of Pirate baseball. Runners at 1B and 3B and no outs. Vogelbach PHs and looks at a 3rd strike down the middle. Then Cruz tries to steal 2B but not part of a double steal with Marisnick at 3B. So Cruz is out and now it's 2 outs and Marisnick at 3B. Newman draws ball 4 on a check swing and Marisnick seems to think it was strike 3 and runs to the plate where he is tagged out to end the inning. They don't just play poorly, they play stupidly. But luckily for Shelton and the coaches, no one is accountable. 
You answered my question from earlier on, no one responded. I couldn't figure out how a guy walked and a guy was called out at home
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

It’s not because the Pirates lost both games, but this rule starting the 10th inning with a runner at 2nd base is absurd. That’s the furthest thing from baseball in general, and professional baseball in particular, that could be imagined. For all that’s holy, Rob Manfred, please do away with it at the earliest opportunity.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

311710050C00170109620 wrote: I thought Suwinski had it all the way, then he peeled off for Cruz, who threw to third, but Hayes wasn't near the bag it would have been a force, but he tagged him challenge as he was called safe

call stands

bases loaded, one out......why does it always seem their lead off walks score
Remarkable play by Cruz if Hayes had been on or near the bag he would have been out easily. That is on Hayes and a great play by Cruz.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

7224322629332328253200272D21292C6E23400 wrote: It’s not because the Pirates lost both games, but this rule starting the 10th inning with a runner at 2nd base is absurd.  That’s the furthest thing from baseball in general, and professional baseball in particular, that could be imagined.  For all that’s holy, Rob Manfred, please do away with it at the earliest opportunity.
hate to tell you this, but the majority of the players like it. There's talk of starting a guy on first and second in the future
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5C7A7D68616D7A6C640F0 wrote: It’s not because the Pirates lost both games, but this rule starting the 10th inning with a runner at 2nd base is absurd.  That’s the furthest thing from baseball in general, and professional baseball in particular, that could be imagined.  For all that’s holy, Rob Manfred, please do away with it at the earliest opportunity.
hate to tell you this, but the majority of the players like it. There's talk of starting a guy on first and second in the future

It doesn't surprise me that they like it.  It's an easier game to play in that situation and the games end quickly.  Maybe the owners can make the players feel better by starting every inning that way.  The whole thing's ridiculous.

Baseball's all about working hard to accomplish something that's hard, scoring runs.  To quote Jimmy Dugan, "It's supposed to be hard.  If it were easy, anyone could do it.  It's the hard that makes it great".  Extra inning baseball isn't great.  It's picnic baseball.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

603620343B21313A372012353F333B3E7C31520 wrote: It’s not because the Pirates lost both games, but this rule starting the 10th inning with a runner at 2nd base is absurd.  That’s the furthest thing from baseball in general, and professional baseball in particular, that could be imagined.  For all that’s holy, Rob Manfred, please do away with it at the earliest opportunity.

It doesn't surprise me that they like it.  It's an easier game to play in that situation and the games end quickly.  Maybe the owners can make the players feel better by starting every inning that way.  The whole thing's ridiculous.

Baseball's all about working hard to accomplish something that's hard, scoring runs.  To quote Jimmy Dugan, "It's supposed to be hard.  If it were easy, anyone could do it.  It's the hard that makes it great".  Extra inning baseball isn't great.  It's picnic baseball.
Well, Jimmy Dugan never existed, but he's correct. I dislike this rule the most, by a long shot. You already know where I lay on the subject, pick an arbitrary number, 12,13,14,15 after that many innings, call it a tie. Ugly, but it's still real baseball. Only problem is teams playing for the tie like in hockey. Maybe now that the Pirates are hitting home runs, settle it with a home run derby like the hockey shoot out.

Seriously, if they wanted to end the game quicker, why not put a guy on third with one out? If they're going to do something bizzare, let's do it bizzarely right.

FWIW, 7 inning DH's were a close second, and the 3 batter rule for relievers not far behind that either. I prepared for life with the DH, anyone with a brain knew that was coming, a foregone conclusion. All this worry about pitchers arms, I guess they never came to figure if the pitcher bats, that's usually 2-3 AB's a game on a normal day, which means if he's an auto out, as they should be, that extends the starting pitcher an extra inning alone.

But hey, just thinking outside the box, you know the old, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The DH was supposed to make the game more exciting, yet here's MLB with a record low batting average. Everyone wanting to be that DH bomber I suppose.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1B3D3A2F262A3D2B23480 wrote: It’s not because the Pirates lost both games, but this rule starting the 10th inning with a runner at 2nd base is absurd.  That’s the furthest thing from baseball in general, and professional baseball in particular, that could be imagined.  For all that’s holy, Rob Manfred, please do away with it at the earliest opportunity.

Well, Jimmy Dugan never existed, but he's correct. I dislike this rule the most, by a long shot. You already know where I lay on the subject, pick an arbitrary number, 12,13,14,15 after that many innings, call it a tie. Ugly, but it's still real baseball. Only problem is teams playing for the tie like in hockey. Maybe now that the Pirates are hitting home runs, settle it with a home run derby like the hockey shoot out.

Seriously, if they wanted to end the game quicker, why not put a guy on third with one out? If they're going to do something bizzare, let's do it bizzarely right.

FWIW, 7 inning DH's were a close second, and the 3 batter rule for relievers not far behind that either. I prepared for life with the DH, anyone with a brain knew that was coming, a foregone conclusion. All this worry about pitchers arms, I guess they never came to figure if the pitcher bats, that's usually 2-3 AB's a game on a normal day, which means if he's an auto out, as they should be, that extends the starting pitcher an extra inning alone.

But hey, just thinking outside the box, you know the old, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The DH was supposed to make the game more exciting, yet here's MLB with a record low batting average. Everyone wanting to be that DH bomber I suppose.
I always found it curious that the DH was supposed to make the game more exciting for the fans, but there was never a discernable difference in fan interest between the 2 leagues.

What I find particularly troubling about the direction the game is taking is that there seems to be an emphasis on players playing less. The mega salaries (minimum is over half a million) seem to have lessened player enthusiasm for actually playing the game as it's all about the money now. Position players get frequent scheduled days off. Starting pitchers are out at 100 pitches if not sooner. Relief pitchers rarely go more than 1 inning. Extra innings are a mutated version of the game to end it as quickly as possible. Shelton was quoted earlier in the season as saying he liked the ghost runner because it reduced the innings for the players and he was also a fan of 7 inning D/Hs for the same reason. I grew up on the game when players never wanted to come out of the lineup and pitchers never wanted to leave a game. But now it seems they don't care as long as they cash the checks.