Game Thread - July 30 - Bucs vs Phillies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

gileszee

Post by gileszee »

How do we get stuck with physically gifted athletes that are halfwits when it comes to the fundamentals of the game? Unreal.
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

A new way to lose. Too much like the other recent ways.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

the Phillies having Scwarber and Castellanos in the outfield at the same time should be worth at least a couple runs to the Pirates.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

Anyone know if Bednar was unavailable tonight ?
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

577170677161120 wrote: the Phillies having Scwarber and Castellanos in the outfield at the same time should be worth at least a couple runs to the Pirates.You have to be able to hit it to them. Seems to be a problem for our team.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

5156475447161B220 wrote: Anyone know if Bednar was unavailable tonight ?

I'm wondering if they might be entertaining offers for him ?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5856535A4C455A5A3F0 wrote: How do we get stuck with physically gifted athletes that are halfwits when it comes to the fundamentals of the game?  Unreal.

Sadly, that's pervasive throughout baseball, all the way down to youth leagues.  Of course, there's always been an emphasis on hitting but over the past 10-20 years it seems like improving one's defense, smartly running the bases, and knowing the game situation have been all but ignored in favor of hitting HRs all game, every game.

Your reference to "halfwits" seems directed at Cruz. If so, I agree. There's something about the way he carries himself on the field that shows an aloofness. That's the last thing a shortstop needs to be. I don't know if he's an uncommonly calm person, or if he's deer-in-the-headlights scared, but he seems to be void of emotion.

I've also noticed if the ball's not hit to him, he stands mostly motionless, just watching, either not knowing or not caring that perhaps he should prepare himself for something unusual to happen where he might become involved. That was part of what made Derek Jeter the great player he was, that amazing play against Oakland in the playoffs being an example. I just don't see a 100% commitment from Cruz while he's on the field and it's convinced me he should be moved from SS at the first opportunity. Can't have that type of mentality at that position.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

57696C64776F6F644461766532000 wrote: Cruz- absolutely inexcusable.
The Fox announcer said, "The perils of a young ball club. Guys without a lot of experience." So I guess losing your focus at 2B and getting picked off is something that can't be learned in Little League, high school or the minors. I guess players only learn how to play the game after they gain experience at the MLB level. Maybe tomorrow they can hold a classroom session on "do's and don'ts on the bases." The players should take notes.

Between Newman's easy out at home running on contact, Chavis' terrible throw to 3B on the imaginary pretend ghost runner and Cruz sleep walking at 2B, this game rates high on the Pirates embarrass-o-meter.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

745954454253440407360 wrote: Cruz- absolutely inexcusable.
The Fox announcer said, [highlight]"The perils of a young ball club. Guys without a lot of experience."[/highlight] So I guess losing your focus at 2B and getting picked off is something that can't be learned in Little League, high school or the minors. I guess players only learn how to play the game after they gain experience at the MLB level. Maybe tomorrow they can hold a classroom session on "do's and don'ts on the bases." The players should take notes.

Between Newman's easy out at home running on contact, Chavis' terrible throw to 3B on the imaginary pretend ghost runner and Cruz sleep walking at 2B, this game rates high on the Pirates embarrass-o-meter. 

Like you, I've always thought that was BS, too. Why is it that a senior in high school is considered to be experienced, but the minute he takes the field as a freshman in college, he's considered inexperienced? The game's fundamentals are the same from Little League to the Major Leagues. I just don't think coaches or even entire organizations care as long as a player can hit HRs.
gileszee

Post by gileszee »

I get what you are saying Doc, it is just painful to watch such ineptitude. Especially since a lot of us were taught the 'right way' to play the game mentally based on game situations. I can live with the physical errors, those are going to happen, but the blatant disregard for playing smart is mind numbing. There is no excuse for it whatsoever, even if the broadcasters, team executives and our field manager want to try and do just that.