Official Game Thread - April 21, 2023 - Bucs vs Reds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I believe that this is the first time Keller has had a winning record in his time with the Bucs.

Reynolds is average at best in CF, but he is a plus left fielder.

Gotta hope that Hill continues to get outs tomorrow night, even though none of his pitches top 90 mph.

Nice pitching by Holderman against the stronger part of the Reds' order. He may turn out to be the best part of Vogey having been a Pirate.

While I was happy to see the start of baseball and seeing the Pirates play again, my overall enthusiasm for this season was pretty low. My thanks to this group of Pirate players for restoring some hope. Now, if only they can convert that hope into believing.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5D63666E7D65656E4E6B7C6F380A0 wrote: I don't think that many of us were excited when

the bucs picked up Connor Joe. So far he is making

Cherington look pretty good

I was not happy when they signed him. Despite being the Pirates 1A draft pick in 2014, he has done very little in his career. Finally got a chance to play semi regularly with Rockies last year and hit just .238. But he's certainly been a big contributor to the Bucs great start this season. At age 30, let's hope he's a late bloomer like Bill Robinson or Mike Easler.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

567B76676071662625140 wrote: I don't think that many of us were excited when

the bucs picked up Connor Joe. So far he is making

Cherington look pretty good

I was not happy when they signed him. Despite being the Pirates 1A draft pick in 2014, he has done very little in his career. Finally got a chance to play semi regularly with Rockies last year and hit just .238. But he's certainly been a big contributor to the Bucs great start this season. At age 30, let's hope he's a late bloomer like Bill Robinson or Mike Easler. 
That’s the difference this year so far I believe are the acquisitions Cherrington went out and acquired this year compared to last year. It’s a big big difference having guys like Cutch, Santana, and Joe in your lineup as opposed to acquisitions last year such as Yoshi, Van Meter, and even a guy like Vogelbach. Those 3 have made a huge difference this year so far and are a big reason the team is off to the 14-7 start that they are.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

0E282F3A333F283E365D0 wrote: Paying fans still aren't convinced, only 17,276 on a Friday night.  To be fair, this weekend there are no promotions, which is really odd.

I was curious how the city would respond. Not sure what the weather was like but I'd have thought a larger crowd regardless of no promo.

The great start had me checking when they will be in my area. It's not until end of season. Maybe I'll get to see them clinch a Playoff spot. ;)
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

62756373363037313739000 wrote:

Paying fans still aren't convinced, only 17,276 on a Friday night.  To be fair, this weekend there are no promotions, which is really odd.

I was curious how the city would respond. Not sure what the weather was like but I'd have thought a larger crowd regardless of no promo.

The great start had me checking when they will be in my area. It's not until end of season. Maybe I'll get to see them clinch a Playoff spot. ;)

Last year on a Friday night home game for game #20, the attendance was 9,755. This team didn't enter the season with high expectations so there wasn't a push for season tix or advanced sales. And despite the great start, I think fans are skeptical and waiting for the other shoe to drop. So they aren't as excited as they would be if this start represented high expectations coming to fruition. Still, nearly twice as many fans attended the game as at a similar time last year. If the winning continues and fans believe they are seeing the real deal, I think attendance will improve. When the Pirates entered the 2015 season with high expectations and proceeded to compete all year, they set an attendance record.