Game Thread - 5/9 - Bucs vs Dodgers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4163706D6E6B6C63407761616D020 wrote: Just catching up and joining in on the (unexpected) fun ...

* I was dead wrong on this one. I gave the Pirates 0% chance to win a game in this series.

* Thank the lord a Pirates starting pitcher has won a game!!! Those are going to be a precious few this year ... but at least we got 1.

* When I see Hayes get 3 hits and raise his average to .333, it infuriates me that he was "rested" yesterday after already having 4 days off during the week. INEXCUSABLE and I will never understand it.

* Get VanMeter back into this lineup ASAP!!! And I'm certain that will happen tomorrow. We don't need Chavis with his 2 hits, including a big triple. Chavis needs to rest tomorrow, and Hayes is looking like he'll need some time off and will rest on Wednesday.

* I have ripped the starting rotation to shreds all season (they deserve it), but I'll admit Quintana is starting to put together some impressive starts.

* I wish this team would cut VanMeter tomorrow. Chavis, Castillo and Marisnick (despite his batting average) seem like solid, heady ballplayers. I wish those 3 would get more time.

* It'll be a miracle if we somehow beat LA again and win this series ... but that kind of craziness would help to make up for last week's inexcusable loss at Detroit, and losing 2 of 3 in Cincy. Last week was a really bad week.

* I don't have any confidence in Bryse Wilson. When I think of Wilson, I think of 3.2 IP, 4 Runs, 3 Hits, 3 BB, 2K. That's about what I'm expecting tomorrow night. Maybe I will be shocked for a second night in a row!

Any single game is just such a coin flip . . . now if they were to play 100 games the Dodgers would certainly win like 70 of them. And by the end of the year they'll be many games ahead of the Pirates.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Question about Suwinski. Has he missed the deadline to earn super 2 arbitration status? It would be great if he pulled a Bryan Reynolds of 2019.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

46676F466D65020 wrote: Question about Suwinski.  Has he missed the deadline to earn super 2 arbitration status?  It would be great if he pulled a Bryan Reynolds of 2019. 
ON his side is I don't have the feeling he isn't the kind of guy (like some of our higher prospects) that we'll be too worried about service time for and whatnot.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

183538292E3F28686B5A0 wrote: SUWINSKI!!!!!!!!!!

2 RUN HR!!!!!!!!
Nice to see that 1st MLB HR for him. Suwinski was a power hitter in the minors. Hopefully, that's the first of many.
One thing impressive with Suwinski is that he is not striking out a third of the time he is up. He puts the ball in play, and I think the hits will come. Tucker is the example the other way, he just strikeouts well over the 1/3 of his at bats. He doesn’t put the ball in play enough.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Since I'm generally critical of the broadcasters, it's only fair to mention that Block and Wehner did a fine job last night. Block did not go into the incessant rambling that he's known for and Wehner did not overdo the analysis. Block seemed to cut down on his rambling last year but seems to generally be banished to the radio side so I was somewhat surprised to see him doing the TV last night. Unlike Greg Brown, who now seems to want to be the center of attention with comedy, plenty of camera time and constantly asking his analyst to talk about his own career, Block mainly stuck to the game. That was refreshing.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

022F22333425327271400 wrote: Since I'm generally critical of the broadcasters, it's only fair to mention that Block and Wehner did a fine job last night. Block did not go into the incessant rambling that he's known for and Wehner did not overdo the analysis. Block seemed to cut down on his rambling last year but seems to generally be banished to the radio side so I was somewhat surprised to see him doing the TV last night. Unlike Greg Brown, who now seems to want to be the center of attention with comedy, plenty of camera time and constantly asking his analyst to talk about his own career, Block mainly stuck to the game. That was refreshing.

I have grown accustomed to Block on the radio. That is what he was most known for in Milwaukee. He is kind of getting into the way The Gunner did radio games in his day. As for Wehner, I like him best as an analyst over Walk and the other guys. I usually listen to the games on the radio.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

525E5F040D040C01061903340 wrote: SUWINSKI!!!!!!!!!!

2 RUN HR!!!!!!!!
Nice to see that 1st MLB HR for him. Suwinski was a power hitter in the minors. Hopefully, that's the first of many.
One thing impressive with Suwinski is that he is not striking out a third of the time he is up. He puts the ball in play, and I think the hits will come. Tucker is the example the other way, he just strikeouts well over the 1/3 of his at bats. He doesn’t put the ball in play enough.

I know little about Suwinski so I looked at his bio. He started playing professional baseball when he was just 17. I still hadn’t learned my address at that age. He’s only 23 now with lots of pro experience, and he’s playing well enough that hopefully Shelton will continue to run him out to RF everyday and not put Tucker out there anymore.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

217761757A60707B766153747E727A7F3D70130 wrote: SUWINSKI!!!!!!!!!!

2 RUN HR!!!!!!!!

I know little about Suwinski so I looked at his bio.  He started playing professional baseball when he was just 17.  I still hadn’t learned my address at that age.  He’s only 23 now with lots of pro experience, and he’s playing well enough that hopefully Shelton will continue to run him out to RF everyday and not put Tucker out there anymore.

I looked him up when he was acquired from SD in the Frazier deal. I don't think he was a top prospect but he was leading his AA league in HRs at the time of the trade. Never hit for average until this year at Altoona although that was a SSS (13 games) before being recalled. I think the Pirates were intrigued by the power potential. I like that they are giving him a chance to play nearly every day. It may yet be necessary to send him to Indy since he never faced AAA pitching. That might help him if he hovers near the Mendoza line at the MLB level. But it's good to see them taking a look at a prospect. I hope they will give opportunities to a number of other prospects during the season.