Re: Official Game Thread - 8/12 - Pirates vs Cardinals

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

The Pirates are now 3-13 since the Frazier trade. If they continue at that rate, the team will win 9 more games in these final 6-7 weeks, ending with a record of 50-112.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3D6B7D69667C6C676A7D4F68626E6663216C0F0 wrote: The Pirates are now 3-13 since the Frazier trade.  If they continue at that rate, the team will win 9 more games in these final 6-7 weeks, ending with a record of 50-112.
And that was my prediction. :D
mouse

Post by mouse »

I'm guessing now that Polanco will have to get hot for me to hit my prediction of 70. But . . . since my prediction doesn't yet have a line through it, I still have a chance.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

5164737378417373787F73160 wrote: Meaniningful/Meaningless (You Decide) Bucs Stat of the Day:

Longest Winning Streaks- 4, 3 occurrences.

Longest Losing Streaks- 10, followed by the current 8, then a few 6's. 
As putrid as the hitting is, it seems to be the nonexistent pitching controlling the streaks.

The longest winning streaks were 3 games (4 occurrences). One of those winning streaks ended due to bad hitting as they lost 3-1. But the other 3 winning streaks ended by scores of 9-6, 14-3 and 7-6.

During the current 8 game losing streak there have been games surrendering 7, 10 and 11 runs.

In the 10 game losing streak there were game surrendering 6, 7, 7 and 8 runs.

In the three 6 game losing streaks there were games surrendering (14 and 11 runs), (20, 6, 7 and 5 runs), and (8, 6, 7, 7 and 11 runs).

There are only 3 or 4 pitchers on the entire staff who even belong in the majors. In the NL the Pirates are 2nd worst in team ERA, 3rd worst in hits allowed, 2nd worst in runs allowed, 4th worst in walks allowed and 2nd worst in WHIP. They have the 2nd fewest shutouts and are 1 of only 2 NL teams without a CG. Their massive run differential of -183 is the combination of terrible hitting and noncompetitive pitching.

As we used to say in our former home, those who never saw it coming, either....

....weren't paying attention, or

.... didn't want to see it coming.

What was Shed and my criticism before Opening Day?  Talent Given Away > Talent Received.

I understand the reason, but I also knew the effect that it would have on the team.

We'll be paying the price for that for a while.  I sure hope that it's not a long while.

A WC appearance or three and early exits will not be worth this, AFAIAC.  Gotta go beyond that.

Pirate fans on twitter and some here are looking to 23 as the season we start to turn the corner. I wouldn't be too sure about that at all.

Next year is going to be dreadful. Who do we have coming up that can make impact? A full season of Brault and Wilson, a pair of 5's at the top of the rotation? Maybe. A full season of Park? Do we know what he is with this small sample size? Remember, people were tantalized by Nogo when he came and had that hot start, but now has cooled off. You would like to think Hayes will be better at the plate. Can Reynolds come close to duplicating this season. Any fall off makes it harder.

We aren't getting any help in free agency ever I'm convinced of that - meaning a good player with few warts. Who comes up from the minors? Yajure? Does he move the needle? Not to me. He is along the lines of Keller, Brubaker right now. Swaggerty? Don't know.

So, 23 ... the year we hope a handful of our best of the best make it up. It means they have to come up and have immediate impact to offset this roster. If development fails in any way, shape or form, we are done for a while.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0616172036363A550 wrote: Meaniningful/Meaningless (You Decide) Bucs Stat of the Day:

Longest Winning Streaks- 4, 3 occurrences.

Longest Losing Streaks- 10, followed by the current 8, then a few 6's. 
As putrid as the hitting is, it seems to be the nonexistent pitching controlling the streaks.

The longest winning streaks were 3 games (4 occurrences). One of those winning streaks ended due to bad hitting as they lost 3-1. But the other 3 winning streaks ended by scores of 9-6, 14-3 and 7-6.

During the current 8 game losing streak there have been games surrendering 7, 10 and 11 runs.

In the 10 game losing streak there were game surrendering 6, 7, 7 and 8 runs.

In the three 6 game losing streaks there were games surrendering (14 and 11 runs), (20, 6, 7 and 5 runs), and (8, 6, 7, 7 and 11 runs).

There are only 3 or 4 pitchers on the entire staff who even belong in the majors. In the NL the Pirates are 2nd worst in team ERA, 3rd worst in hits allowed, 2nd worst in runs allowed, 4th worst in walks allowed and 2nd worst in WHIP. They have the 2nd fewest shutouts and are 1 of only 2 NL teams without a CG. Their massive run differential of -183 is the combination of terrible hitting and noncompetitive pitching.

As we used to say in our former home, those who never saw it coming, either....

....weren't paying attention, or

.... didn't want to see it coming.

What was Shed and my criticism before Opening Day?  Talent Given Away > Talent Received.

I understand the reason, but I also knew the effect that it would have on the team.

We'll be paying the price for that for a while.  I sure hope that it's not a long while.

A WC appearance or three and early exits will not be worth this, AFAIAC.  Gotta go beyond that.

Pirate fans on twitter and some here are looking to 23 as the season we start to turn the corner.  I wouldn't be too sure about that at all.

Next year is going to be dreadful.  Who do we have coming up that can make impact?  A full season of Brault and Wilson, a pair of 5's at the top of the rotation?  Maybe.  A full season of Park?  Do we know what he is with this small sample size?  Remember, people were tantalized by Nogo when he came and had that hot start, but now has cooled off.  You would like to think Hayes will be better at the plate.  Can Reynolds come close to duplicating this season.  Any fall off makes it harder.

We aren't getting any help in free agency ever I'm convinced of that - meaning a good player with few warts.  Who comes up from the minors?  Yajure?  Does he move the needle?  Not to me.  He is along the lines of Keller, Brubaker right now.  Swaggerty?  Don't know.

So, 23 ... the year we hope a handful of our best of the best make it up.  It means they have to come up and have immediate impact to offset this roster.  If development fails in any way, shape or form, we are done for a while.

I think 2023 is earliest to possibly make a run at 500 season. But I wouldn't bet on it. Look at the injuries with pitching prospects this season - Bolton, Ashcroft, etc. Then Tahnji Thomas is stuck in neutral this season still great stuff but his control is not nearly as good as 2 years ago.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

614C41505746511112230 wrote: If a talent like Andrew McCutchen wanted to stay, some others would.  That's on BOB.

I'll agree to disagree on Bell and Taillon.  Regardless, their trades did little to improve the club.  Maybe it will help a future team; not this one, the 2021 club.
Exactly. The trades were not intended to improve the 2021 club. They were intended to improve the pipeline of talent leading to the Pirates over the next year or two instead of the lost cause that is 2021. Which is why I say it remains to be seen if BC made good deals. I realize that is the strategy. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't express our dissatisfaction with how bad they've allowed the 2021 team to be. I'm guessing BC (like most humans) has never worked for an owner as awful as Nutting. It's clear BC punted on 2021 and set his sights on improvements for subsequent years. But between how bad the 2021 roster is and how bad it's been handled by Shelton, it shows a total disregard for loyal fans who-even if they understand the strategy-deserve something more to watch than this craptastic season they've presented us with.    
Agree with Bobster on this. Sorry Weenie. I feel your frustration but BC had to deal both of them. So far the return for Bell is underwhelming. But the return on Taillon looks extremely good.

Contreras will be our #2 pitching prospect behind Priester. He is dominating. Yajurre has been hurt but is close to being ML ready.

Escotto is only 19 but is having a solid season at Bradenton showing power and SB prowess. Smith is at Altoona 22 YO. Also showing a good avg some power and SB’s

So far a good return for Taillon.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

785558494E5F48080B3A0 wrote: The Pirates are now 3-13 since the Frazier trade.  If they continue at that rate, the team will win 9 more games in these final 6-7 weeks, ending with a record of 50-112.
And that was my prediction.  :D
Just goes to show you a couple of good hitters to go along with Reynolds could make a huge difference. I have hopes for Park and maybe Cruz. I think 2nd half of 23 will show marked improvement if we can get those guys in the lineup everyday and not Polanco. We need a catcher that can hit .250 to go along with Stalling who can't catch 2 days in a row. Not sure where we find him but with above we could be a .500 or better club. Add Priester and another above average pitcher and 2023 could be a competitive team. We must get competitive by 2023 if not by then maybe another 20 years.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

624F42535445521211200 wrote: The Pirates are now 3-13 since the Frazier trade.  If they continue at that rate, the team will win 9 more games in these final 6-7 weeks, ending with a record of 50-112.
And that was my prediction.  :D

Are you from the future?