4/10 Glasnow start

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by skinnyhorse »

4656576076767A150 wrote: I still think Glasnow should have started the season at AAA and should now be sent there ASAP. For those who insist he's got nothing more to prove at AAA, maybe so. But what he needs is the confidence to be gained by again dominating there before facing MLB hitters. He struggled with the Pirates last year and had a pretty bad spring this year but was handed the #5 spot despite being out pitched by Williams and Brault. So he enters the season knowing he's been handed the spot based on potential even tho he's looked bad. How can he have any confidence on the mound? Let him dominate AAA hitters and then return feeling like he's ready. Right now as he looks back on last year and this ST he must feel like he can't get MLB hitters out. Plus, this team knows its best chance is to win enough games to be a WC team. Having Glasnow blow games because he clearly isn't ready or able hurts that chance.    

Here is the problem.  The numbers suggest he has nothing to prove in the minors.  He was pretty darn dominant.  Yes, confidence can be gained mowing down AAA hitters.  But, there is still a problem ... he can't get out MLB hitters.  He simply isn't ready to pitch in the majors, but what does he gain by going back down and mow down AAA hitters?
Nothing, put him in the bullpen can't be any worse than Bastado, get him some inning in relief, good grief teams have been doing this with young prospects for years.
massbucsfan

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by massbucsfan »

636B685F496C4B442A0 wrote: I've got no problem with the way they used LeBlanc tonight. None. He saved the bullpen in a stretch when we have a bunch of games in a row until our next off day, and on a night when Rivero already wasn't available and probably Williams, too. Hurdle abslolutely made the right call, IMO.
Wow, bases loaded a chance to get back into a game and send a relief pitcher up to bat, incredible.

No, it's not incredible. It's being realistic and acknowledging that you aren't going to win every game, and you do have to punt on some games. It's losing the battle in order to win the war. Because of LeBlanc's outstanding effort tonight, we probably have our entire bullpen available the next two games.  That could lead to two wins.  If they take him out, who throws next? As I said, Rivero and Williams were already unavailable. Bastardo? Get an inning, maybe two out of Nicasio? You know they aren't going to use Hudson or Watson. It wasn't our night. Conservatively, it's going to happen another 60 times this year. Probably more.
With the team they have assembled this year it's probably gonna happen another 80 ,85 times >:(
Bobster21

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by Bobster21 »

6979784F5959553A0 wrote: I still think Glasnow should have started the season at AAA and should now be sent there ASAP. For those who insist he's got nothing more to prove at AAA, maybe so. But what he needs is the confidence to be gained by again dominating there before facing MLB hitters. He struggled with the Pirates last year and had a pretty bad spring this year but was handed the #5 spot despite being out pitched by Williams and Brault. So he enters the season knowing he's been handed the spot based on potential even tho he's looked bad. How can he have any confidence on the mound? Let him dominate AAA hitters and then return feeling like he's ready. Right now as he looks back on last year and this ST he must feel like he can't get MLB hitters out. Plus, this team knows its best chance is to win enough games to be a WC team. Having Glasnow blow games because he clearly isn't ready or able hurts that chance.    

Here is the problem.  The numbers suggest he has nothing to prove in the minors.  He was pretty darn dominant.  Yes, confidence can be gained mowing down AAA hitters.  But, there is still a problem ... he can't get out MLB hitters.  He simply isn't ready to pitch in the majors, but what does he gain by going back down and mow down AAA hitters?
That's easy. He reminds himself that he has good stuff and can get hitters out. He faces MLB hitters after being the guy the AAA batters couldn't hit. Sure, it's only AAA. But unless we are deciding he just can't/won't get MLB batters out, it would benefit him to experience success again before again facing the same type of hitters he seems to have no confidence against. If he truly has great stuff but is hindered by a lack of confidence, he won't regain any confidence getting hammered and walking MLB batters. IMHO, the best thing for him is to dominate AAA batters and be the pitcher those guys don't want to face. Remind himself that there's a whole lot more to him than just the guy who has thus far failed badly in his brief MLB career. If he has the stuff to be a success at the MLB level but suffers a crisis of confidence, let him regain his confidence. And that won't happen until he again dominates batters. And from what we've seen so far, that's not going to be MLB batters.
notes34

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by notes34 »

I've said all along Glasnow isn't ready! I don't see it. I've looked at all the numbers from the minors. I haven't seen the dominating stuff that I've read about. I hope he puts it together but I don't expect it anytime soon.
IABucFan

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by IABucFan »

2621373F3126616D143339353D387A373B39540 wrote: ....he must feel like he can't get MLB hitters out.    

I see nothing to suggest he can.  Poor control.  Nothing special when he does throw strikes.  Can't hold runners. 

Does anyone see anything to suggest he has amazing potential?

I do. I'm not an expert, but he gets good break on his curveball. He throws heat. My guess is his delivery is a bit deceptive, as he brings the ball from behind him. At least deceptive enough that it fools minor leaguers. So his 96 looks like 98 or 99. He also has the height advantage, which means he releases the ball closer to home plate than your average pitcher.

But, as I watched him tonight, he was fighting his mechanics quite a bit. There were four or five pitches where he held his follow through, almost like he was trying to get a little more pull on the ball, or he was out of balance. Was it mental? Yes. But I don't think it was at first. He missed some spots, got behind in counts. That caused him to have to put some balls over the heart of the plate, and it was a snowball effect.

But, I definitely think he has the pure stuff to be an MLB starter. And I definitely still think he has the stuff to be a #1 or 2. Lots of guys never make it, and he certainly could be one. But no way am I ready to give up on him.
IABucFan

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by IABucFan »

464A5858495E48584D4A452B0 wrote: I've got no problem with the way they used LeBlanc tonight. None. He saved the bullpen in a stretch when we have a bunch of games in a row until our next off day, and on a night when Rivero already wasn't available and probably Williams, too. Hurdle abslolutely made the right call, IMO.
Wow, bases loaded a chance to get back into a game and send a relief pitcher up to bat, incredible.

No, it's not incredible. It's being realistic and acknowledging that you aren't going to win every game, and you do have to punt on some games. It's losing the battle in order to win the war. Because of LeBlanc's outstanding effort tonight, we probably have our entire bullpen available the next two games.  That could lead to two wins.  If they take him out, who throws next? As I said, Rivero and Williams were already unavailable. Bastardo? Get an inning, maybe two out of Nicasio? You know they aren't going to use Hudson or Watson. It wasn't our night. Conservatively, it's going to happen another 60 times this year. Probably more.
With the team they have assembled this year it's probably gonna happen another 80 ,85 times  >:(

I guess we'll see, but I don't think so.
Tintin

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by Tintin »

I've never seen a team deserve to lose a baseball game tonight as our Pirates. Could patch, couldn't hit when it mattered, gave up a zillion sb's and hr, and could field worth nuthin'.

We need to own this "l" and realize most teams aren't the Braves and here for us to run over.
Ecbucs

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by Ecbucs »

1A27203A27204E0 wrote: I've never seen a team deserve to lose a baseball game tonight as our Pirates.  Could patch, couldn't hit when it mattered, gave up a zillion sb's and hr, and could field worth nuthin'.

We need to own this "l" and realize most teams aren't the Braves and here for us to run over.

Has the Reds bullpen been great tonight or did the Bucs give up? Last year the Reds had the worst or next to worst bullpen in baseball. Two guys tonight pitched 3 innings without allowing a hit or walk. That looks impressive.
Ecbucs

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by Ecbucs »

587E7F687E6E1D0 wrote: I've never seen a team deserve to lose a baseball game tonight as our Pirates.  Could patch, couldn't hit when it mattered, gave up a zillion sb's and hr, and could field worth nuthin'.

Has the Reds bullpen been great tonight or did the Bucs give up?  Last year the Reds had the worst or next to worst bullpen in baseball. Two guys tonight pitched 3 innings without allowing a hit or walk.  That looks impressive.

I was following game on MLB.com which was way behind the actual game time.

For example the top of the ninth was just starting and next refresh it went right to game recap.
skinnyhorse

4/10 Glasnow start

Post by skinnyhorse »

406667706676050 wrote: I've never seen a team deserve to lose a baseball game tonight as our Pirates.  Could patch, couldn't hit when it mattered, gave up a zillion sb's and hr, and could field worth nuthin'.

Has the Reds bullpen been great tonight or did the Bucs give up?  Last year the Reds had the worst or next to worst bullpen in baseball. Two guys tonight pitched 3 innings without allowing a hit or walk.  That looks impressive.
When your manager gives up, what do you expect. Bases loaded 3rd inning and manager sends up the relief pitcher up to hit, that sent a message and the team got it loud and clear, game over. Hurdle needs to go.