Glasnow and Bell...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Osushawn

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by Osushawn »

Glasnow just got called up to pitch this weekend so I guess we will see how he does.
dmetz

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by dmetz »

So he's ready now, right?  Overnight, he became ready.  last night, walked to many.   This morning, ready to rock. ;D

Or yall disagree with the FO decision to call him up, because he's still not ready?
SammyKhalifa

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

040D05141A600 wrote:

So he's ready now, right?  Overnight, he became ready.  last night, walked to many.   This morning, ready to rock. ;D

Or yall disagree with the FO decision to call him up, because he's still not ready?

Well not to speak for anyone else but I'm sure people thought he was close.

For me personally even if he's not going to be any better than our other starters he's at least the best remaining option for a callup. My contention was that he wouldn't be that much better really than the current starters so what would be the point. I'd definitely just keep him here from this point though.

Who this doesn't look good for medium term is Steven Brault.
dmetz

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by dmetz »

02253427346068686960510 wrote: Where is the list of national league pitchers with sustained success striking out less than 6.5 per 9IP?

We have 2 guys in the rotation who can't get over that tremendous hurdle, even facing the opposing pitcher 2-3 times a game.

Greg Maddox and Tom Glavine were decent.

Sure were.   Back when sitting 89 gave you an average fastball.     Also by FIP, Glavine was an average pitcher the last 10 years he played.   Overrated.   3.95 career FIP.

"Pitch to contact" is just codeword for not real good. High GB rates are wonderful when you can also miss bats (like Burnett as a pirate). Otherwise, just lady luck where that ball goes.
Steve19981

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by Steve19981 »

3E373F2E205A0 wrote: While you guys are delving in the early 1990's and much, much earlier to find a list of pitchers with 6.5k/9 or lower in the NL with sustained success in your defense of Glasnow not being ready.  He just got the callup for this weekend.

Tim Hudson and Mark Buerhle have had considerable recent success without striking a lot of guys out at a greater than 6.5 / 9 . That's without looking too deeply into the matter.

No, I still don't think he's ready to improve the rotation and I think this is a bad move potentially in the short and long run. I'd have liked to see him show improved walks / length for at least another couple of starts in Indy, but I guess we'll find out. Struggling or not, he's being throw right into the fire with the Cubs as well. They have the best walk rate in baseball so it's kind of a bad matchup.

dmetz

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by dmetz »

4D6A7B687B2F2727262F1E0 wrote: While you guys are delving in the early 1990's and much, much earlier to find a list of pitchers with 6.5k/9 or lower in the NL with sustained success in your defense of Glasnow not being ready.  He just got the callup for this weekend.

Tim Hudson and Mark Buerhle have had considerable recent success without striking a lot of guys out at a greater than 6.5 / 9 . That's without looking too deeply into the matter.

No, I still don't think he's ready to improve the rotation and I think this is a bad move potentially in the short and long run. I'd have liked to see him show improved walks / length for at least another couple of starts in Indy, but I guess we'll find out. Struggling or not, he's being throw right into the fire with the Cubs as well. They have the best walk rate in baseball so it's kind of a bad matchup.

Well, at least you're consistent in not wanting him up. Prior to their recent struggles, they had a strong tendency to not only walk, but to smash the baseball when it was "pitched to contact". Perhaps his ability to miss bats, and lack of a strong book on him will sit the cubbies down in the dugout
SammyKhalifa

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah if he continues to walk six guys a game we just have a rotation with two broken Francisco Lirianos, what's the point. Hopefully he doesn't do that.

True/False

Liriano in his current state would absolutely destroy three months of AAA hitters.
Steve19981

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by Steve19981 »

313830212F550 wrote: Where is the list of national league pitchers with sustained success striking out less than 6.5 per 9IP?

We have 2 guys in the rotation who can't get over that tremendous hurdle, even facing the opposing pitcher 2-3 times a game.

Greg Maddox and Tom Glavine were decent.

Sure were.   Back when sitting 89 gave you an average fastball.     Also by FIP, Glavine was an average pitcher the last 10 years he played.   Overrated.   3.95 career FIP

Both had strike out rates well below the top pitchers of the 90's and 00's. It's not like I cited Whitey Ford.

Are you arguing Glavine wasn't a "successful" pitcher? That was the parameter you set. I would qualify any Hall of Fame career even an overrated one as a success.
Steve19981

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by Steve19981 »

073539392D1F3C35383D3235540 wrote: Yeah if he continues to walk six guys a game we just have a rotation with two broken Francisco Lirianos, what's the point.  Hopefully he doesn't do that. 

True/False

Liriano in his current state would absolutely destroy three months of AAA hitters.

True, he'd mow them down.
Bobster21

Glasnow and Bell...

Post by Bobster21 »

4A434B5A542E0 wrote: Also by FIP, Glavine was an average pitcher the last 10 years he played.   Overrated.   3.95 career FIP.

Maybe it's FIP that overrated. Glavine's overall stats are not impressive for the last 6 years he pitched. But he was age 37-42 then. At age 36 he won 18 games with an ERA of 2.96, WHIP 1.282, fewer hits than innings. At age 34 he won 21 games. We need some average pitchers like that!