7/7 Game Thread...Glasnow MLB Debut = 8 wins in a row...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Post by Quail »

5C6E62627644676E6366696E0F0 wrote: I watched the game today and don't remember seeing Glasnow throw a change-up. Did I miss one? His stuff definitely plays in the Bigs, but as Possum pointed out he favored his curve a little too much and grooved it a little too often. If he's able to fine tune his pitch location I think he's gonna be real good. In the mean time he's a better pitcher than at least a couple of our current starters.

I'm optimistic.
We're the (hard) hits from guys sitting on the curve because they didn't have to worry about a change?  I didn't see the game.

As Bob Walk insightfully pointed out during the telecast Glasnow was throwing the curve in the middle of the strike zone in typical pitcher counts (ie 1-2 or 2-2) and got hit hard when he did. Walkie suggested that he should only locate his curve that way in order to get ahead early in the count or on a 3-2 pitch where the element of surprise is more in play.

While I think a good change-up could be a devastating pitch for him his curve could currently be an effective off-speed pitch if he located it off the plate more in certain situations to elicit some chase swings and misses. It's clear he's got a lot of room to grow and improve, but he's already pretty darn good.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0D293D35305C0 wrote: I watched the game today and don't remember seeing Glasnow throw a change-up. Did I miss one? His stuff definitely plays in the Bigs, but as Possum pointed out he favored his curve a little too much and grooved it a little too often. If he's able to fine tune his pitch location I think he's gonna be real good. In the mean time he's a better pitcher than at least a couple of our current starters.

I'm optimistic.
We're the (hard) hits from guys sitting on the curve because they didn't have to worry about a change?  I didn't see the game.

As Bob Walk insightfully pointed out during the telecast Glasnow was throwing the curve in the middle of the strike zone in typical pitcher counts (ie 1-2 or 2-2) and got hit hard when he did. Walkie suggested that he should only locate his curve that way in order to get ahead early in the count or on a 3-2 pitch where the element of surprise is more in play.

While I think a good change-up could be a devastating pitch for him his curve could currently be an effective off-speed pitch if he located it off the plate more in certain situations to elicit some chase swings and misses. It's clear he's got a lot of room to grow and improve, but he's already pretty darn good.

that may be something he was able to get away with often in minors so this could have been a good learning experience.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

Caminero once again throws gas on a fire. I'm not sure what's wrong with this guy but don't bring him in with men on until he proves he can get outs consistently.
Quail

Post by Quail »

627A787F7F68797E636274110 wrote: Caminero once again throws gas on a fire.   I'm not sure what's wrong with this guy but don't bring him in with men on until he proves he can get outs consistently.

Just read on the DKonSports website that Caminero was dealing with an "off the field stressor" earlier that was affecting his performance. His DL stint apparently was used to take care of this. With the exception of the gopher ball yesterday he's been pretty good lately. Hopefully that was just a speed bump for him and not a sign that he's regressing.
Steve19981

Post by Steve19981 »

5E575F4E403A0 wrote: Was a real good first start.   Cutch played a single into a double in the 5th and caminero gave up the 3 run shot to make his line look poor.

5.1- 4 baserunners 5 strikeouts and had the pitch count to go 6.   Sending him down for another 10 or so innings in AAA  after 450+ minor league innings isn't going to do anything worthwhile.

This will make him much better.   And he has Searage now, right!?     Keep him up!     Get Niese out of here

i believe had caminero done his job instead of goating the 5th the headline would be what an awesome start he had.   The line is real good. 

According to Fangraphs, he didn't throw a single change. That's reason enough for me.

He seemed to have good enough control of his fastball and curve. Is it possible that his BB/9 spike in AAA walks was do to working heavily on the change?
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

I know he hung a few, but that curve is devastating. It could be, one day, the nastiest pitch thrown by any pitcher in baseball.

I do agree that he should throw it outside to the rh hitters and try to get them to wave at it, instead of throwing it over the plate as much.

Despite the loss yesterday, I like what the team is doing and am cautiously optimistic for the rest of the season.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

According to Tim at P2 Glasnow has not confidence in his change up yet. He still needs to develop it a good bit. That comes with using it in games. And MLB games are not where you experiment with the change up. Tim also says that Glasnow does not have the best command of his FB which we saw last nite.

I think Glasnow is just about there. He needs to work on that change up NOW! to get it developed as an out pitch to go with some better command of the FB and his usually great curve. I see more time at AAA to get that done.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

0621302330646C6C6D64550 wrote: Was a real good first start.   Cutch played a single into a double in the 5th and caminero gave up the 3 run shot to make his line look poor.

5.1- 4 baserunners 5 strikeouts and had the pitch count to go 6.   Sending him down for another 10 or so innings in AAA  after 450+ minor league innings isn't going to do anything worthwhile.

This will make him much better.   And he has Searage now, right!?     Keep him up!     Get Niese out of here

i believe had caminero done his job instead of goating the 5th the headline would be what an awesome start he had.   The line is real good. 

According to Fangraphs, he didn't throw a single change. That's reason enough for me.

He definitely needs to work in the change very very occasionally, but yes didn't throw it yesterday in his ML debut.    Surely we can give him another start?

Everyone was fine with a MUCH less talented Juan Nicasio and his two pitch arsenal being in the major league rotation.   Control issues, and all.    Glasnow has a better two pitches than Nicasio, even without the change at all.

Glasnow has arrived.   ML competition will make him better.

In my opinion, the idea that "a couple more starts" in AAA will somehow make his changeup ready is flawed thinking.    Pitchers work on pitches in the majors all the time. Only way to gain confidence against major league hitters is the face major league hitters.   

I don't understand what people are so afraid of.   Him getting hit a little?   if that does happen, he'll fit right in as he adjusts

"Sorry kid, you have to go back down. I know you allowed 4 baserunners in 5.1 and have a 1.70 ERA in AAA...but next time, throw 3 or 4 changeups"
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

777E766769130 wrote: Was a real good first start.   Cutch played a single into a double in the 5th and caminero gave up the 3 run shot to make his line look poor.

He definitely needs to work in the change very very occasionally, but yes didn't throw it yesterday in his ML debut.    Surely we can give him another start?

Everyone was fine with a MUCH less talented Juan Nicasio and his two pitch arsenal being in the major league rotation.   Control issues, and all.    Glasnow has a better two pitches than Nicasio, even without the change at all.

Glasnow has arrived.   ML competition will make him better.

In my opinion, the idea that "a couple more starts" in AAA will somehow make his changeup ready is flawed thinking.    Pitchers work on pitches in the majors all the time. Only way to gain confidence against major league hitters is the face major league hitters.   

I don't understand what people are so afraid of.   Him getting hit a little?   if that does happen, he'll fit right in as he adjusts

"Sorry kid, you have to go back down.  I know you allowed 4 baserunners in 5.1 and have a 1.70 ERA in AAA...but next time, throw 3 or 4 changeups"

Maybe they'll be able to do a little fine tuning here during the ASB
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

I don't think you jerk your top prospects around. You should wait to bring them up until you think they are ready and then you let them stay unless they show they can't succeed. I think Glasnow should stay. Pretty soon there will be seven starters for five spots, though, and that will be interesting. It seems Kuhl has pitched well enough to stay although it probably was not the intention for him to stay long term when he was brought to the majors. I'm certain the front office has no intention of retaining Niese for the option years based upon his performance so maybe they might be willing to just release him if he can't be traded. I'm not bullish on Liriano getting back to his previous performance but I suspect he's going to keep going out there.