If Bucs draft HS pitcher

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JulianJay

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by JulianJay »

While playing GM solitaire I decided if the team picks a HS pitcher [even the highest rated] it's not gonna be a season and maybe even into next year. So why select college players when you'll

lose 2 years of development time, at which time I re=decided it was exactly the opposite because college players have more game and developement already, so it's the HS guys who miss developement time. And then I re=re=deided...I miss baseball
Lecom

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by Lecom »

For what it is worth I never liked the idea of drafting high school players. I have told the story of talking to a well-known scout and I asked him the question as to how you successfully do that. He told me you make sure he has the five tools then you hope like hell you made the right choice. Anyway, I would rather them draft a college kid that they have been able to look at against better competition than a high school kid.
GreenWeenie

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by GreenWeenie »

Hope they make it "here."

And, if they do, enjoy them WHILE they're here.
Bobster21

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by Bobster21 »

0F3A2D2D261F2D2D26212D480 wrote: Hope they make it "here."

This is just one of the reasons free agency kills the Pirates. You can look at stats for countless great pitchers, even HOF pitchers, and they struggle in their first 3-4 years. After 6 years they are FAs. No good pitcher who can command a high salary will re-sign with the Pirates so in order to get something before they walk, they have to be traded by year 5. So even when the Pirates draft a pitcher who will become a star, his time with the Pirates is generally no more than 1-2 good years before he's gone. The Pirates endure the pitcher's growing pain years and then another team gets him in his prime.
BenM

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by BenM »

Even before the pandemic, MLB was planning to contract MiLB. After a season without revenues, there might be a lot fewer minor league teams. I wonder if that will impact how teams assess the risk/reward on HS players who will take longer to develop.
IABucFan

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by IABucFan »

I’m actually thinking ahead to the 2021 draft. With the 2020 version only being five rounds, the 2021 draft could be historically deep. I hope the Pirates finish dead last this year (if there’s a baseball season at all, which I’m skeptical of).

Regarding the contraction of MiLB teams, I’ve always thought the amount of minor league teams was excessive. I don’t see any reason why MLB can’t treat college baseball like the NBA and NFL treat college football and basketball, respectively. First round picks in those sports jump right to their pro leagues and start. Some are instant stars. Hockey has a minor league system, but plenty of college guys jump right to the NHL.

It would be too bad to see small towns lose minor league teams, but is there really any reason why it couldn’t become the norm for the best HS players to play a couple of years in college, get drafted and say, go to AA or AAA right off the bat? Thus, they do away with all the rookie and A level teams? Those levels just sort of get absorbed into college baseball?

This in turn would strengthen college baseball. I don’t think it ever becomes as popular as NCAA football or basketball, but if ESPN started carrying college baseball games, if the sport was highlighted beyond the CWS, their may be something to this. As it is, it’s got to be tough being a college baseball coach and trying to recruit, not knowing if a kid is going to sign with an MLB team or honor his scholarship.
GreenWeenie

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by GreenWeenie »

4D606D7C7B6A7D3D3E0F0 wrote: Hope they make it "here."

This is just one of the reasons free agency kills the Pirates. You can look at stats for countless great pitchers, even HOF pitchers, and they struggle in their first 3-4 years. After 6 years they are FAs. No good pitcher who can command a high salary will re-sign with the Pirates so in order to get something before they walk, they have to be traded by year 5. So even when the Pirates draft a pitcher who will become a star, his time with the Pirates is generally no more than 1-2 good years before he's gone. The Pirates endure the pitcher's growing pain years and then another team gets him in his prime.

Free agency hasn't killed any team

Dirty, rotten, cheapskate, incompetent, carpet-bagging owners who are only in it for themselves kills teams.

What BOB says and what BOB does are two different things.
shedman

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by shedman »

5A6F7878734A78787374781D0 wrote: Hope they make it "here."

Free agency hasn't killed any team

Dirty, rotten, cheapskate, incompetent, carpet-bagging owners who are only in it for themselves kills teams.

What BOB says and what BOB does are two different things.

_______

Hear Hear!!!
DemDog

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by DemDog »

5B5350677154737C120 wrote: I’m actually thinking ahead to the 2021 draft. With the 2020 version only being five rounds, the 2021 draft could be historically deep. I hope the Pirates finish dead last this year (if there’s a baseball season at all, which I’m skeptical of).

Regarding the contraction of MiLB teams, I’ve always thought the amount of minor league teams was excessive. I don’t see any reason why MLB can’t treat college baseball like the NBA and NFL treat college football and basketball, respectively. First round picks in those sports jump right to their pro leagues and start. Some are instant stars. Hockey has a minor league system, but plenty of college guys jump right to the NHL.

It would be too bad to see small towns lose minor league teams, but is there really any reason why it couldn’t become the norm for the best HS players to play a couple of years in college, get drafted and say, go to AA or AAA right off the bat? Thus, they do away with all the rookie and A level teams? Those levels just sort of get absorbed into college baseball?

This in turn would strengthen college baseball. I don’t think it ever becomes as popular as NCAA football or basketball, but if ESPN started carrying college baseball games, if the sport was highlighted beyond the CWS, their may be something to this. As it is, it’s got to be tough being a college baseball coach and trying to recruit, not knowing if a kid is going to sign with an MLB team or honor his scholarship.

Uh, no way my friend do you use College Baseball like the NFL and NHL do as a feeder system.

How many games does a college team in WPa play in a season? Way to few to satiate the fan interest in baseball.

Minor League baseball not only serves as a feeder system to MLB but also serves family activities in the small towns they usually play in. If you ever get a chance to see a MILB game do so. You will enjoy it immensely.
2drfischer@gmail.c

If Bucs draft HS pitcher

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

575F5C6B7D587F701E0 wrote: I’m actually thinking ahead to the 2021 draft. With the 2020 version only being five rounds, the 2021 draft could be historically deep. I hope the Pirates finish dead last this year (if there’s a baseball season at all, which I’m skeptical of).

Interesting thoughts, IA, but I think the major league teams have a farm system for one very good reason:  the game is so hard to master, especially hitting, that it takes nearly every player several years into their adulthood to be good enough to play at the highest level.  It's necessary and essential that those players be given the opportunity to continue to grow and mature as players. 

It's fairly common to have first year players in the NFL and NBA not only play a lot, but become starters immediately.  Rare is the baseball player who is even in the major leagues let alone starting at 21 or 22 years of age.  This proves to me without question that baseball is the most difficult game to master.