4/13 game thread vs Marlins

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Still expect the Bucs to bounce back here in Miami and win with Taillon and Nova on the mound the next two games. Not a great night overall hopefully this game is out if their system and they bounce back and win that next 2 and come home 11-4 next week to start the series with the Rockies here on Monday night,
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

515850414F350 wrote: I think you've got to look at moving Kuhl to the pen soon.   He's faced trash lineups, is wild and getting hit all over the place.   He never goes more than 5 anyway.  3 consecitive garbage teams have worked him over

True, but who goes in the rotation? Musgrove when he comes back? I still think he is better in the pen. This is what I have been harping on for the last two years. We needed to add a quality starter for the rotation.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Man I've been right there with you. We needed to add at least TWO legit, proven starters. We don't have nearly enough starting pitching depth. You know there is always going to be someone who underperforms. Someone else who gets hurt. Right now we are one twinge of elbow pain, or one sore shoulder, of potentially need to replace two starters -- possibly Kuhl and whoever else falters or gets injured. I hate going into the season with so few proven options.
RichD

Post by RichD »

Kuhl to the pen please . Kingman up and Nevergetsanout back to AAA. Chad will be a stud reliever.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

Not sure what's happen to Kuhl but we saw a big change in his style last year and it continues this year. He's just raring back and throwing the ball as hard as he can with no idea where the ball is going. I don't understand whats happened he used to throw 94 mph with pretty good control and for the past year he's throwing the ball 96 to 97 mph and has no idea. You would think RS would give him a few tips other than throw the ball as hard as you can no matter whether it's a strike or not. I had high hopes for him when he first came up but if something doesn't change but quick he's going to never become a good starting pitcher and in the process ruin his arm by trying to throw pitches harder than he needs to get batters out.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

7A626067677061667B7A6C090 wrote: Not sure what's happen to Kuhl but we saw a big change in his style last year and it continues this year.  He's just raring back and throwing the ball as hard as he can with no idea where the ball is going.  I don't understand whats happened he used to throw 94 mph with pretty good control and for the past year he's throwing the ball 96 to 97 mph and has no idea.  You would think RS would give him a few tips other than throw the ball as hard as you can no matter whether it's a strike or not.  I had high hopes for him when he first came up but if something doesn't change but quick he's going to never become a good starting pitcher and in the process ruin his arm by trying to throw pitches harder than he needs to get batters out.

In the Departed Post it was noted today what a great start Cole is having in Houston—and the poster attributed it to increased use of his slider. We all know the dominant success Charlie Morton had in last year’s World Series. He was throwing every pitch known to man and looking brilliant doing it.

There was a period last year where Kuhl started throwing his curveball significantly more. Not so shockingly, that seemed to coincide with his improved performance. I agree that Kuhl (and others) is much too fastball oriented right now. His idea of mixing it up now is going from 97 to 98. Last week when I watched one of Neverauskas’ blowups it was fastball after fastball. This theory paralyzes a pitcher. If a batter can’t hit a 98 mph fastball in this day and age he shouldn’t be on a MLB roster.

I worry about Kuhl. I worry about his max-effort delivery on his fastball – especially the two seamer. I worry about his control – he throws with so much effort it effects his accuracy. And I worry if he or his catcher can’t identify this, why the heck aren’t his coaches jumping in to correct this. His development is being mismanaged. Kuhl has good tools. This is an approach issue.

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Seeing what Cole did last nite and the type of pitching he is doing perhaps it is time for the Bucs to move on from Searage and his pitch to contact mode and let the guys use more of their other pitches.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

1E3F371E353D5A0 wrote: Seeing what Cole did last nite and the type of pitching he is doing perhaps it is time for the Bucs to move on from Searage and his pitch to contact mode and let the guys use more of their other pitches.
You can throw Charlie Morton in this conversation also, he suddenly can pitch effectively.  For sure the Kuhl thing has to be addressed or he's going to be ruined.  I've never seen such a radical change with worse results.  He's gone from promising to a guy whose ineffective and is going to ruin his arm for sure.  Don't know how to correct this but someone needs to get in CH and NH ear but quick before it's to late. Hope his dad or someone who knows Kuhl will reach out to him and just review his old films to see what's gone wrong.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

They will keep telling him to pound the zone with 2-seamers, which might be his 3rd worst pitch.

The searage myth has been ongoing for years. If Morton and Cole missing that many more bats, essentially overnight, with a much different combination of their same pitch arsenal doesn't open eyes, then there's nothing will.

Morton wasn't even throwing a 4-seamer here. He was forced to throw 70+% 2-seamers