9/8 Game Thread - Reds game one

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

707C7D262F262E23243B21160 wrote: I saw Marte as well with his chains. Sometimes I wonder if the Bucs test the trade waters this winter to see what return they could get for him.  I am not saying to trade him, but any player can be traded if the right return can make a team stronger.

Definite trade candidate. He'd bring an incredible.

We know the Pirates are going to sign one starter. Nova seems like the obvious choice.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I don't know if I trade Marte. I like what he brings to the table both offensively and defensively. The return better be enormous if we would consider trading him.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

795E4F4B4E536C584F4E4E532A0 wrote: I'm not a fan of the Pirates skipping both Kuhl and Taillon's next starts when they are still in contention for the wildcard. Especially Taillon the Pirates have no business skipping his starts. The main goal is to try and make the playoffs not save guys arms when they both haven't even pitched a ton of innings. It's ridiculous.
We've known all along they wanted to limit Taillon's innings. He's pitched 150 innings this year (AAA + MLB) after being off 2 years. At 69-69, they have made no push for the WC and there's no reason to risk Taillon's arm.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

527776796C7079762B2C180 wrote: The way Nova has begun is career with the Bucs, I think they should think very hard about signing him long term.  He may pitch another complete game tonight.

I think they have to. And he's a perfect addition/insurance to our low-priced, young and inexperienced staff.

Taillon

Cole

Nova

Kuhl

Kingham

Williams

Brault

Glasnow

Hutchison

And maybe a reclamation or two and that's 10 deep. With Keller, Holmes and a few others charging hard. I like it

only Brault is left handed. The failure of Liriano really hurts. I think it is wishful thinking at this point to think that the Bucs can get 5 solid starters out of this list.
BucAndEer

Post by BucAndEer »

6E656D6164657E3B3D4A736B6265652469650A0 wrote: Should be 4-0, but Harrison was on the bases. I don't get how bad he is on the bases.

I'll quibble a little bit with this in that it ultimately didn't cost the Pirates any runs. If the SS doesn't make the play on Harrison, he probably gets Cutch at first, so instead of having Cutch on first, you'd have JHay at third. And since Cutch came around to score later that inning anyway, it was zero-sum.

As for Marte trade talks, I think they absolutely shop him around this offseason and I've suggested privately to another OB member that they do so.

Since 2014 I've been hearing that Marte has had the potential to be a bad influence on Polanco -- not accusing him of actually doing so, yet, but the potential is there. I love Marte's skill set when he's "on," but he does seem to mentally check out more often than other guys. Maybe you get a pretty sizable bounty in a trade and you create the opening for Meadows.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Pirates really need to lock Nova up.

Problem is, Pirates will make a "fair" offer for 2 years.

At least 3 or 4 other teams will swoop in offer 3 years and more $$$.

At some point, the Pirates are going to have to pay market value to get a player, and God forbid at some point they may have to actually "overpay" for a key player.

Being "fiscally responsible" just won't get it done in this day and age."

A "fiscally responsible" offer is not a competitive offer.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I'm thrilled with Nova's performance tonight, but I'm not necessarily excited about the win.

After the recent 8-game fiasco, it's going to take at least 8 or 10 straight wins to make up for it. Or maybe something like 9 of 10 or 10 of 12.

Bottom line, I hope tonight was the 2nd game of maybe a 10-game streak.

Otherwise, it's too little too late.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

062021362030430 wrote: The way Nova has begun is career with the Bucs, I think they should think very hard about signing him long term.  He may pitch another complete game tonight.

I think they have to. And he's a perfect addition/insurance to our low-priced, young and inexperienced staff.

Taillon

Cole

Nova

Kuhl

Kingham

Williams

Brault

Glasnow

Hutchison

And maybe a reclamation or two and that's 10 deep. With Keller, Holmes and a few others charging hard. I like it

only Brault is left handed.  The failure of Liriano really hurts.  I think it is wishful thinking at this point to think that the Bucs can get 5 solid starters out of this list.

The guy on the list that really needs to be successful is Hutchison. If he is the pitcher NH claims he can be, then you can come up with a solid 5 (especially with Nova in the mix). If not... NH has been right about Nova so far. There's a lot for NH's reputation (and the weird trade) that rests on Hutchison's success. It should be very interesting. His last start in AAA was pretty solid. I'm looking forward to seeing this next start of his.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5071646D556C77647160050 wrote: The way Nova has begun is career with the Bucs, I think they should think very hard about signing him long term.  He may pitch another complete game tonight.

Taillon

Cole

Nova

Kuhl

Kingham

Williams

Brault

Glasnow

Hutchison

only Brault is left handed.  The failure of Liriano really hurts.  I think it is wishful thinking at this point to think that the Bucs can get 5 solid starters out of this list.

The guy on the list that really needs to be successful is Hutchison. If he is the pitcher NH claims he can be, then you can come up with a solid 5 (especially with Nova in the mix). If not... NH has been right about Nova so far. There's a lot for NH's reputation (and the weird trade) that rests on Hutchison's success. It should be very interesting. His last start in AAA was pretty solid. I'm looking forward to seeing this next start of his.

I agree a lot of NH's reputation depends on how Hutchison does. I actually would feel pretty good if the team would consider using some of the folks on this list in the bullpen rather than starting the ones who don't make the starting 5 in Indy. I think Glasnow does have to be looked at as a starter, but could see Kuhl, Keller, Williams in the bullpen.

Not sure what future holds for guys like Nicasio,Hughes, Schugel. Feliz is most likely gone.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

013620022D27062631430 wrote: Should be 4-0, but Harrison was on the bases. I don't get how bad he is on the bases.

I'll quibble a little bit with this in that it ultimately didn't cost the Pirates any runs. If the SS doesn't make the play on Harrison, he probably gets Cutch at first, so instead of having Cutch on first, you'd have JHay at third. And since Cutch came around to score later that inning anyway, it was zero-sum.

I get what you are saying about not costing them a run. But one out and a man on second is better than one out man on first.

McCutchen even shook his head. Harrison is awful on the bases. He was thrown out twice tonight. You never run when the ball is hit in front of you like that. He was not forced. He should have never ran in that situation. Never.

Did you see McCutchen stop so he wasn't tagged out? Harrison probably would have been tagged strolling into third instead of forcing a throw. There was no excuse for Harrison running on that. He got lucky that it didn't matter. Huge mental error.