What Prospect could we get to play 3rd

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7874752E272E262B2C33291E0 wrote: The Bucs should consider sending Jose Osuna to winter ball to learn how to play third base. He has had a lot of clutch hits this season,and I think they should try to get him in the lineup on a more regular basis.

I think they should play him there anyway. He needs to play against lefties.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

353C34252B510 wrote: SROD is our 2018 starting 3b if Kang doesn't come back. 

A player who has OPS'ed over .704 a SINGLE TIME in his career, and that was at the age of 31 in half a season of work (300 AB)

Nothing could go wrong with this plan... it's full-proof! 

I like the idea of bringing SROD back but (like you) not as an everyday 3Bman.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

313830212F550 wrote: SROD is our 2018 starting 3b if Kang doesn't come back. 

A player who has OPS'ed over .704 a SINGLE TIME in his career, and that was at the age of 31 in half a season of work (300 AB)

Nothing could go wrong with this plan... it's full-proof! 
My feeling exactly.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I agree too.

The Pirates were trying to resign him for this year. Would they have moved Harrison if they did or was it for the bench again? I assumed it was to move Harrison.

Rodriguez had a fine 2016 season. Probably his best season ever. I am not sure if he is a every day player. He was really bad with the bat in 2015. He is one of the best defensive players I have ever seen (especially, at first base).
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

5A616B604C080 wrote: Astros just called up another 3b prospect JD to go along with Moran(DL). That`s 2 top prospects they have stacked behind Bregman.

Redsox have 2 guys almost ready.

We dont have crap .Hayes way far away and he is not much of a hitter yet.

And the guy we just drafted Craig has been moved to first which sucks because he can hit and could end up being a trade chip because of Josh Bell.

Sure the Pirates will will move Craig slowly ...Full season next year at AA then a full 1.5 years at AAA. Just in time to trade Bell as he get more expensive. :D
The Red Sox have 2014 1st round pick (GA HS prospect) Michael Chavis breaking out this year between A+ and AA. He's behind super prospect Rafael Devers who just got called up. Chavis whiffs some, but has shown good power with ~27 hrs this year and an OPS > .900.

Moran doesn't have the power of Chavis. But he bats LH, and I like LH bats for this lineup. He's also MLB ready now. He was a college (UNC) draftee in 2013 (6th overall). He hits for better average than Chavis, but Chavis is 3 years younger.

JD Davis is probably the other Astros guy mentioned by RichD. He's a big RHH who was repeating AA this year until being promoted to AAA a few weeks ago. He was a college draftee in '14. He's probably got the most power of all of these guys but with more swing and miss than any too.

Any of the four guys mentioned would give us a step up, and Chavis, Moran, and Davis should be available for the right offer.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Thanks everyone for your posts on 3rd basemen. Like look of the Astros 3rd baseman-Moran. Curious as to what we would have to give up to get him. You know how "No Deal Neal" is about trading prospects..

Glad to see the Bucs go out and get S-Rod. I have always admired his passion for the game. He is a go-getter and plays with a lot of fire! And holy cow, he sure made his return to Pittsburgh known with his walk off homer on Sunday vs Padres...

I also wouldn't mind them giving Osuna a few opportunities at 3rd. The kid can hit. I would think the Bucs Mgmt would recognize that and find a place for him to contribute more...Heard, read somewhere that Osuna was inquired about this past off season a lot. I would think that indicates that other teams see his bat and potential. Been a while since Bucs had a legitimate slugger at 3rd base...I know Pedro was a 3rd baseman by trade, but he was never consistent with the stick...Not trying to rip him in anyway...I grew up on Don Hoak and Richie Hebner...Recall Bucs finding a home for a young Bobby Bonilla as well as Jeff King. I would hope the Bucs give Osuna some time to learn third. It wouldn't hurt his versatility.

Beat'em Bucs 8-)

Beat'em Bucs 8-)
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Well here's the case the team will make. 

SRod won't be the everyday 3rd baseman.  He will be half a 3rd baseman and Freese will be the other half of a 3rd baseman.  By resting them and playing favorable matchups, the argument goes that they will get starting production from two role players.

Those two guys don't make a very good platoon, however.  Neither of them hit well vs RHP.  Freese is a fine starting 3b option vs LHP.   

What we needed was a 3bman who can hit the other 75% of pitchers in baseball, not two guys who destroy lefties and hit like shortstops vs right.

Maybe Osuna.  I don't know.  But unless we get awfully lucky, we will have bottom of the barrel production from 3b vs RHP with these two and be in good shape vs a southpaw