Game Thread Bucs@Brewers 4/18…

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

At least Tucker continues to show remarkable consistency with two more strikeouts.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

I thought only Huntington played guys like him.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I don't have much hope for Thompson. He did have a solid season for Miami last year with a 3.24 ERA in 75 IP. But his AAA numbers were very bad with a 5.70 ERA and 101 hits in 85 IP. That doesn't seem like someone who was suddenly putting it all together at age 27 in his first MLB season after 7 years in the minors. He seems better suited for the BP.

Last year he began the season as a starter for the Marlins and got off to a great start. After 6 starts he had a 1.93 ERA. But for his next 7 starts he had a 4.15 ERA and was sent to the BP where he did very well the rest of the season. But in 12 relief appearances he was used for more than 1 inning only once (during which he gave up 3 hits and a walk). The Marlins seemed to realize that the key to success for Thompson was to use him in very short stints. So naturally, the Pirates made him a starter.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Putting up numbers like that, there is hope that he'll be our staff ace..   ;D
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I think both Contreras and Yajure at this point both should be knocking on the door of replacing a guy like Thompson in the rotation or even someone like Brubaker or Keller if both of them continue to stink and don’t show signs of improvement. Now I don’t expect them to remove Keller from the rotation anytime soon but how many more times are we gonna have to hear Keller after he gives up 5 runs in the 1st two innings say “I feel good right now and am in a good place throwing the ball and just gave up a bunch of singles which I can’t do anything about” I mean it’s getting old and tiresome hearing this from Keller after each subpar start he has. So he can be told at some point here moving forward if he continues to struggle and not win games that you better start improving and doing it right away or you will be replaced in the rotation by somebody that will period end of story.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

547974656273642427160 wrote: I don't have much hope for Thompson. He did have a solid season for Miami last year with a 3.24 ERA in 75 IP. But his AAA numbers were very bad with a 5.70 ERA and 101 hits in 85 IP. That doesn't seem like someone who was suddenly putting it all together at age 27 in his first MLB season after 7 years in the minors. He seems better suited for the BP.

Last year he began the season as a starter for the Marlins and got off to a great start. After 6 starts he had a 1.93 ERA. But for his next 7 starts he had a 4.15 ERA and was sent to the BP where he did very well the rest of the season. But in 12 relief appearances he was used for more than 1 inning only once (during which he gave up 3 hits and a walk). The Marlins seemed to realize that the key to success for Thompson was to use him in very short stints. So naturally, the Pirates made him a starter. 
I wonder if he and Crowe could change roles?
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

3D6B7D69667C6C676A7D4F68626E6663216C0F0 wrote: At least Tucker continues to show remarkable consistency with two more strikeouts.
Tucker has struck out almost .39 % of his total times at bat this season. That is way too high.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5D51500B020B030E09160C3B0 wrote: At least Tucker continues to show remarkable consistency with two more strikeouts.
Tucker has struck out almost .39 % of his total times at bat this season. That is way too high.

non-power hitters need to be contact hitters in my book of old time baseball strategies.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

052322352333400 wrote: At least Tucker continues to show remarkable consistency with two more strikeouts.

non-power hitters need to be contact hitters in my book of old time baseball strategies.
I totally agree with you. If this was Mason Martin and he had 5 or 6 homers I wouldn’t be as concerned, but Tucker is not a power threat.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

373B3A6168616964637C66510 wrote: At least Tucker continues to show remarkable consistency with two more strikeouts.

I totally agree with you. If this was Mason Martin and he had 5 or 6 homers I wouldn’t be as concerned, but Tucker is not a power threat.
And switch hitters need to be able to hit when they are always facing the opposite handed pitcher. Otherwise, they are just switch outers.