8/11 Game Thread -- Here we go again

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Jonathan34

Post by Jonathan34 »

684A59444742454A695E4848442B0 wrote: Taillon now clearly the team's most effective starter.

I believe that makes 6 consecutive quality starts.

8 shutout innings today.

Nothing fancy. Just throw strikes and pound the zone at about 94-95.

And a filthy, filthy curve.
Jonathan34

Post by Jonathan34 »

2F272433252529460 wrote: Harrison is really an awful base runner. 

No, people think he is great as he gets out of run downs and hustles.

I agree.  What did he do now?

I am not watching but in following game day, it looks like Harrison got picked off of first, when Fryer was on third and in the rundown, Fryer got thrown out at home.  Then with Harrison on second, Marte got an infield single that Harrison rounded third too far on and got caught in another rundown and was out. 

This is exactly what happened. Looked like we were about to have a big inning too.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4664776A696C6B64477066666A050 wrote: Taillon is treating the Padres the way Cole should have treated the Reds on Sunday -- just pound the zone and throw strikes. And don't walk Billy Hamilton and Joey Votto in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Great observation, exactly right. If Cole wins on Sunday we could be within a half game of the WC (if the Cubs win tonight). Tallion now has the lowest ERA.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

So we finish the "easy" part of the schedule 9-9.

Should have been 12-6 at worst ... but some horrendous displays of baseball were very costly.

And that swing of 3 games or so could ultimately prove to be the difference between making and missing the playoffs.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

505741494750171B62454F434B4E0C414D4F220 wrote: Taillon is treating the Padres the way Cole should have treated the Reds on Sunday -- just pound the zone and throw strikes. And don't walk Billy Hamilton and Joey Votto in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Great observation, exactly right.  If Cole wins on Sunday we could be within a half game of the WC (if the Cubs win tonight).  Tallion now has the lowest ERA.

I think Taillon is going to be better than Cole. Not a knock on Cole at all, but we have been waiting for this one-two punch for years.

Get Cole signed to an extension this off-season.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

527776796C7079762B2C180 wrote: Harrison is really an awful base runner. 

I am not watching but in following game day, it looks like Harrison got picked off of first, when Fryer was on third and in the rundown, Fryer got thrown out at home.  Then with Harrison on second, Marte got an infield single that Harrison rounded third too far on and got caught in another rundown and was out. 

This is exactly what happened. Looked like we were about to have a big inning too.

Terrible decisions today by Josh. But I'll take those kind of "errors" any time over the effort most of this team makes. Josh is guilty of trying to do too much - anything to lighr a spark.

They just interviewed David Freese - he literally said :"yesterday we were a little sluggish. We talked about it today and made a point to bring it today, have a little energy. That"s what everybody's looking for and we wanted to bring it into the field."

Josh brings it everyday. Too bad others have to have a team meeting to be reminded.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

1C393A3A2F0439313324560 wrote: Harrison is really an awful base runner. 
At least Harrison is getting on base. The same cannot be said for Cutch.

Cutch deserves criticism but he has nothing to do with Harrison's stupidity on the base paths.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7A7D6B636D7A3D31486F65696164266B6765080 wrote: Harrison is really an awful base runner. 

Terrible  decisions today by Josh.  But I'll take those kind of "errors"  any time over the effort most of this team makes.  Josh is guilty of trying to do too much - anything to lighr a spark. 

They just interviewed David Freese - he literally said :"yesterday we were a little  sluggish.  We talked about it today and made a point to bring it today, have a little energy. That"s what everybody's looking for and we wanted to bring it into the field."

Josh brings it everyday. Too bad others have to have a team meeting to be reminded. 

I disagree. I love Harrison's hustle (I felt it was lacking last year and beginning of this season) and he has been a spark. But he has also hurt the team with his mental errors too.

He might not have the talent as others and needs to rely on his hustle. That is not a knock on him. But his errors hurt the team too. What if it was a 0-0 game when he was out rounding third? I hate mental errors. The Latino players lack these fundamentals too. Harrison is just as bad at times. For every run down he is safe, a double of them he is out. But people just remember the safe ones (still on Pirates commercials) and most players aren't in those situations. I will take those players every time.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Joe Block mentioned during the broadcast that the Pirates are now 7-3 when Taillon starts, and 5-0 when Kuhl starts. A reason to be interested in, if not optimistic about the rest of the season with those two getting regular turns in the rotation.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

092B38252623242B083F2929254A0 wrote:

And that swing of 3 games or so could ultimately prove to be the difference between making and missing the playoffs.

I'm living in fear that that last Locke start is going to be the one that does it.