Pathetic Bickering

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Pathetic Bickering

Post by Ecbucs »

464344424A4059444D5E58552C0 wrote: One thing that's happening too much is members making disparaging comments about other members.   That is a violation of the rules and needs to stop happening.  Our rules state that we are to restrict our comments to the content of posts and not make mean-spirited (or just frustrated) comments about other board members (and their ability to see reason, etc).  I think we have been lax in enforcing this of late. 

we have rules and root for the Pirates? Seems contradictory.

notes34

Pathetic Bickering

Post by notes34 »

We need an ignore option. I think I would use it for several members here to be perfectly honest.
Bobster21

Pathetic Bickering

Post by Bobster21 »

An "ignore" option would be useful but we don't have it. But it's just as easy to ignore someone by not reading or reacting to their posts. Nor is it necessary to wait for someone to post an opinion in order to swoop down and tell him how wrong he is. At some point it becomes more reasonable to simply ignore someone you always disagree with.
dmetz

Pathetic Bickering

Post by dmetz »

4B7975756153707974717E79180 wrote: I couldn't disagree more with these calls for more censorship.  

All you're doing is pushing the board back to the trickle of posts daily that were made before this surge of activity.  Perhaps it's better for some to see blank screens and rampant inactivity than some difficult arguing going on?  I don't know

if YOU don't like the post, just ignore it.  How about that?   Doesn't that work too?

I don't see calls for "censorship" as much as calls for "we can disagree without acting like a bunch of [your favorite term here]."  I'm sure you can look around the forums lately and see the difference. 

Theres a lot of objective, easy to understand and see ways to monitor, yes. But the "rule sheet" delves deeply into the subjective. Things like "trolling" or baiting".

Namecalling and vulgarity is easy. Who is trolling and who is baiting is a whole different ball of wax around here.

SammyKhalifa

Pathetic Bickering

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4B424A5B552F0 wrote: I couldn't disagree more with these calls for more censorship.  

All you're doing is pushing the board back to the trickle of posts daily that were made before this surge of activity.  Perhaps it's better for some to see blank screens and rampant inactivity than some difficult arguing going on?  I don't know

if YOU don't like the post, just ignore it.  How about that?   Doesn't that work too?

I don't see calls for "censorship" as much as calls for "we can disagree without acting like a bunch of [your favorite term here]."  I'm sure you can look around the forums lately and see the difference. 

Theres a lot of objective, easy to understand and see ways to monitor, yes.  But the "rule sheet" delves deeply into the subjective.  Things like "trolling" or baiting".

Namecalling and vulgarity is easy.  Who is trolling and who is baiting is a whole different ball of wax around here.

I don't even think it has to go into official "moderation" or anything like that.  But it would be great if people would stop just badgering other people.  I'm sure they know when and if that they are doing that, and when they're merely having a (sometimes heated) discussion on something where they disagree. 
Docjon49

Pathetic Bickering

Post by Docjon49 »

OK, I'm a lot fed up with the bitter ad-hominems (not directed at me) and lack of real baseball talk of a member here, and I'd really like to ignore them, just for a few years until they calm down after recent events. It is just tiresome, particularly when I'm so puzzled myself by the Bucs recent moves and motivations.  I might just have to take a break from things myself.

Some ppl look upon 'ignore lists' as a weakness.  I don't give the wild-eyed, erratic homeless guy talking to himself any of my time in the real-world.  If I can virtually ignore similar screeds online, I do so.

I SWEAR I thought IGNORING was an option in the past.  Was this possible on a previous iteration of board software, or am I conflating OnlyBucs capabilities with another board.  Or am I sundowning again?

Bobster21

Pathetic Bickering

Post by Bobster21 »

At one time we had an "ignore" function but that site crashed. This site doesn't have it.
rucker59@gmail.com

Pathetic Bickering

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I thought the board had been on “good behavior” since this thread was first posted. I feel like “both sides” have tried hard to be about baseball. I have been very self aware of my posts. Hope I’m not the guilty party....
SammyKhalifa

Pathetic Bickering

Post by SammyKhalifa »

For what it's worth I too think the heat has simmered down a bit here lately, and I welcome that.
sdimmick3

Pathetic Bickering

Post by sdimmick3 »

Everyone acting like adults...it's a good thing lol